E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Fuel / Injector Cleaner?

04-22-2014, 01:30 AM   #1
Kam187
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i M Sport Individual

Fuel / Injector Cleaner?

Been doing some research and it looks like the use of a good fuel system cleaner can help prolong the life of the injectors.

After looking at most of the E90/BMW forums a cleaner called Techron is widely recommended but I can't seem to find anywhere in the UK that stocks it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good fuel / injector system cleaner?

BTW - it's for a E90 335i M Sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
savgeax
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i M Sport

BG244 I have heard many good things about. Not tried it myself. Available in the UK.
      04-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
I'd just stick to top quality fuel (Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate) to keep your injectors clean, and avoid additives. In my experience they can play havoc with your catalysts...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Techron is available on Amazon UK bud
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
MAN15H
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 BMW 330e MSport

What about that cataclean stuff ? Any good and has anyone used it before..?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 03:33 PM   #6
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

The only one worth bothering with is getting the injectors removed and ultrasonically cleaned.

Look up ASNU fuel injector cleaning.
      04-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Decent fuel is your first port of call preferably Super Unleaded second if you can don't buy fuel from the Supermarket statins I thought it was an old wife's but a couple of our customers work in the Buncefield Depot outside Hemel and when the conversations come up both have stated in the standard 95 stuff there's not too much difference but in the 97 stuff there's a difference and birth have said their card are only filled with that's stuff

When we have petrol cars in with Nix Oxide failure and we dial into the fault via diagnostic and discover it's due to poor quality fuel it's amazing but doesn't now surprise us anymore when we are told or discover that the offending cars been filled at a Supermarket and even more so when we again see on the DME register that the cars been run low on fuel that gat and issues occur it's basic stuff and if you play fuel light roulette you'll stand a good chance of getting burnt and it'll cost.

Simply using decent fuel and not letting the tank run down low is your best friend what's more in theory good housekeeping costs you nothing. All you've got to do us keep on top of it.

On the actual fuel additive side the stiff you can buy off the shelf at Halfords and alike as you may have seen in a Fifth Gear test about 2 years ago can actually decrease power and were in the real scheme of things considered nit worthy of the money they command and as Phils pointed out there can be post burn issues re CATS re these off the shelf additives.

Slightly different chain of thought goes into the products not available over the shelf but via garages, we use TunAp products that are TUV Approved and made in Germany TunAp also make Mercedes & BMW additives under licence and are considered to be a quality product that can assist in maintaining your cats fuel and engines health it's a grey area as to whether even these are the real answer I've used the TunAp stuff on my car and you can feel a slight difference on top of using a decent fuel but the true answer is this decent fuel and don't let your tank get too low.

Changing/cleaning injectors can be done at the extremes of course but going down this route can be down to past lack of care re the above IMO.

Last edited by old grey steve; 04-25-2014 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 12:25 AM   #8
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I always thought busy supermarkets have the good stuff as it is fresh. The quality of Tesco Momentum 99 has never really varied on mine at our local. I get similar performance with Shell V Power although some might say that SVP gives you around 1-3 bhp more from a cleaner burn. It's not like my butt dyno can notice that 1bhp more.

I'm not a bio-chemist but from my understanding/research T99 has less additive in it than SVP. This does not make it a fuel to avoid though. A few have suggested filling up with SVP once a month or every third/fourth tank. Others suggest using an additional additive instead of SVP every 6th fill up like TunAp.

Techron is strong stuff. I'm not an expert on metal but I wouldn't keep it going in an alusil engine for more than a week. The oil and fuel systems are supposed to be seperate but after a run of Techron I would suggest a change of oil. If you have carbon build up issues then it could loosen up big pieces of carbon and cause a few problems so use it at your peril. Some BMW dealers use it in the USA. If you read the forums from the Americas it gets a mention but I wouldn't know if it is BMW approved although it has been alleged that they were involved in the development. May be they don't back it here in the UK as they are aware of the risk to our catylitic converters?

Does the stealer sell TunAp?? It sounds like a milder and may have less risk attached with more short term benefits?

Found it here: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/281247272189" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://m.ebay.co.uk/...1247272189</a> cheaper than Techron but lest not judge on price - it is competitively priced against others in its bracket. Be our guinea pig and report back??

Lol @ birth and stiff. I won't look over mine though as I'm no better when it comes to typos.
Appreciate 0