E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Caught doing 96 on the motorway...

03-14-2008, 03:24 AM   #23
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Carlos, can you please bring some aspirin to UK5? I'm still gonna have a headache even then.

I thought it was just my hangover making that sentence swim!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 03:42 AM   #24
DervFan
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW (E91) 325d M Sport Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
YES, but it was on the other side and on the right, not my side closest to the barrier above me (on his wrong side of the road) and not on my left hand side but on my right above the opposite carriegeway?!
Carlos - if this is the white van on the M11 (parked up on the bridge over the Southbound c/way) I think you'll be alright

This van has been there for a few weeks now and it is mostly parked up over the s/bound carriageway on the bridge just before North Weald airfield.

I haven't seen it over the n/bound carrriageway when I come home
      03-14-2008, 03:54 AM   #25
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo34 View Post
I've not seen the letter yet, but it was on the M180 near scunthorpe a couple of weeks ago...
Where it happens is quite relevant, because regional police forces approach this differently.

I know someone who was caught at that sort of speed twice in one day on the M180. He already had 3 points and they went for an all out ban. He sucessfully argues his case in court and came away with 6 points plus the 3 he started with.

By the sound of it the document the fleet manager has is a NIP (notice of intended prosecution). It will ask him to name the driver and they will simply put you in the frame. You will then get a second NIP asking the same question.

You always get a NIP before the police issue a fixed penalty notice because it's the only way that the police can correctly establish the identity of the driver.

Before you do ANYTHING, find out when the fleet manager received the NIP.

If this is not within a certain period (I think 14 days) then it is not valid and you should simply respond to say so.

You really should have a good look on Pepipoo as well:

http://www.pepipoo.com/FAQ.htm
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 09:58 AM   #26
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

Doesn't help you now, but they are really keen on the M180.

We've had about 4 close collegues (not just someone you hear about) getting done on there quite recently. One of them got done at 78mph, which seemed rather harsh, particularly as James May would call him slow...
      03-14-2008, 11:00 AM   #27
Boo34
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 318i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
You really should have a good look on Pepipoo as well:

http://www.pepipoo.com/FAQ.htm
Thanks for the link.... I've had a look and feel a lot happier now.

The points and fine don't worry me - but a ban would be an issue.

There were three of us from my place of work done on the same day by the same van - the other two were both driving vans so were 'only' doing low 80s.

Still - without dangerous law breakers like myself, hurtling along a virtually empty bit of three lane motorway at 96mph on a nice sunny day in a modern well maintained car - the two officers of the law who were operating the expensive equipment contained within the specially designed van would have had to resort to more mundane matters..... Like catching drug-dealers, muggers, burglars etc etc.

Rant over - I'm not bitter!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #28
jaspy412
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320D + X3 3.0 sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo34 View Post
Thanks for the link.... I've had a look and feel a lot happier now.

The points and fine don't worry me - but a ban would be an issue.

There were three of us from my place of work done on the same day by the same van - the other two were both driving vans so were 'only' doing low 80s.

Still - without dangerous law breakers like myself, hurtling along a virtually empty bit of three lane motorway at 96mph on a nice sunny day in a modern well maintained car - the two officers of the law who were operating the expensive equipment contained within the specially designed van would have had to resort to more mundane matters..... Like catching drug-dealers, muggers, burglars etc etc.

Rant over - I'm not bitter!
don't forget murderers, rapists and paedophiles
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #29
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DervFan View Post
Carlos - if this is the white van on the M11 (parked up on the bridge over the Southbound c/way) I think you'll be alright

This van has been there for a few weeks now and it is mostly parked up over the s/bound carriageway on the bridge just before North Weald airfield.

I haven't seen it over the n/bound carrriageway when I come home
No Si mate on the A11 near Norwich Ill just have too wait and see, with vans is it stillthe 14 day thing?
      03-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #30
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
No Si mate on the A11 near Norwich Ill just have too wait and see, with vans is it stillthe 14 day thing?
Yep .. if you are the registered keeper of the car and you have not received a NIP within 14 days of the alleged offence (day 1 is the day it happens) then you are in the clear
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #31
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
ummm don't think it counts if it's a fleet job. Think they have 6 months for that...

If the Job / ban issue is really serious you NEED to get your boss to write the obligatory "his job WILL be in jeapordy" etc

They whack you with the fine, but you'll hopefully NOT get banned

SJ

SJ
      03-14-2008, 05:00 PM   #32
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Surely you understood Carl's very clear description of the vans location Floyd?

Now ... Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know is on third...
I'm playing Shortstop.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 04:40 AM   #33
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
ummm don't think it counts if it's a fleet job. Think they have 6 months for that...

If the Job / ban issue is really serious you NEED to get your boss to write the obligatory "his job WILL be in jeapordy" etc

They whack you with the fine, but you'll hopefully NOT get banned

SJ

SJ
Correct, they have 14 days to get the NIP to the registered keeper. In the case of fleet / company cars I don't think there is any time limit for it to reach the driver.

I got done in Wales in 05 and the NIP got to me 2 months after the offence. I had no idea I'd been caught .. and was being really careful looking out for cameras. The van that got me must have been totally hidden (completely against the local forces guidelines) so I was really tempted to argue, but I couldn't say for certain that I hadn't been speeding momentarily.

I did check to make sure that the NIP reached Arvaal PHH within 14 days and unfortunately for me it did (only just though). In the end I sucked it up, paid and took the points.

So unfair when it comes out of the blue months afterwards.

The best defence against a ban seems to be the argument that other peoples jobs will be in jeapardy, so if you are a fee earner with a team working for you, or company director you can usually wriggle out of it in court. If you do this you end up with a much bigger fine though.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #34
GarryF
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: SSII E90 M3

It really sucks the amount of tickets they must issue for speeding when in the circumstances there was no danger, aren't motorways the safest place by a long long way for fatalities.

Shouldn't there be rules that they can ony park their bans on known black spots, I know that's what they are supposed to do with fixed ones now. What I tend to see though is on a 40 mile stretch of single lane A road they sit on the few overtaking spots where frustrated drivers finally manage to overtake and get caught. Meanwhile I never ever see them sitting a mile along the road where people are known to have died and speed there would potentially kill, it's all just lame cash generation.

I also think with speed vans that police aren't involved, it's all sub contracted to civilian companies, and I bet they have targets to meet
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #35
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
i was in van, so it could come at anytime then couldnt it?