E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > does the 335Xi have the option to be RWD like an STI?

04-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #177
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

so what do u just pull a fuse out and then put it back in when you want it to be awd again?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 11:19 PM   #178
Avery
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i, 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry418 View Post
What's the fuse number for rain wipers? I just realized, why not just pull the fuse for AWD and the fuse for rain wipers? (To stop wipers going)
Actually I just tried this and if you look at the fuse diagram sheet its a large fuse on the far left. I pulled it and the wipers no longer work at all even with fuse 26 pulled.
      04-20-2011, 03:19 AM   #179
henry418
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery View Post
Actually I just tried this and if you look at the fuse diagram sheet its a large fuse on the far left. I pulled it and the wipers no longer work at all even with fuse 26 pulled.
Haha wow, thanks. Can't believe I missed it.. it even has a drawing on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 04:51 AM   #180
anthoj
Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i AW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery View Post
Is it a fuse or is it a relay? How many pins does it have?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #181
blauner335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi Coupe

How easy is it to get to the transfer case? I don't have access to a lift, but if I can get in there with my jack and see what the connection is like to the solenoid, I think I could come up with something for us xi guys to solve this little problem while still being able to use our wipers. It probably would be pretty cheap too. I would just fool the computer into thinking the solenoid is connected. This would be so awesome. I wonder how that would work with the traction control since it actively transfers power to the front/back when needed?

FYI, I am an electrical design engineer.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #182
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauner335 View Post
How easy is it to get to the transfer case? I don't have access to a lift, but if I can get in there with my jack and see what the connection is like to the solenoid, I think I could come up with something for us xi guys to solve this little problem while still being able to use our wipers. It probably would be pretty cheap too. I would just fool the computer into thinking the solenoid is connected. This would be so awesome. I wonder how that would work with the traction control since it actively transfers power to the front/back when needed?

FYI, I am an electrical design engineer.
It shouldn't be too hard to reach the wiring of the t case. If you were local, I'd have you experiment with mine.

Who in PA has an Xi that would be willing to lend this man some hours with the car?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #183
blauner335
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by issabmw View Post
It shouldn't be too hard to reach the wiring of the t case. If you were local, I'd have you experiment with mine.

Who in PA has an Xi that would be willing to lend this man some hours with the car?
I got the Xi If it is easy to get to with the jack, I will jack it up this weekend and start playing around.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #184
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I got the Xi If it is easy to get to with the jack, I will jack it up this weekend and start playing around.
Oh sorry, silly mistake, I didn't even read what you drove.

It should be easy, I think that's the only place they would reason to put the wiring, unless they tucked it in somewhere.

Best bet it to take a look at it. You'd be doing us Xi guys all a favor, and I'd have no problem donating to your cause
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #185
Avery
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i, 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthoj View Post
Is it a fuse or is it a relay? How many pins does it have?
It's on the far left in the middle. You can't miss it. It has a picture of a windshield and a wiper. Don't use the drawings as it's not listed there. Look at the fuse board.
      04-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #186
blauner335
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by issabmw View Post
Oh sorry, silly mistake, I didn't even read what you drove.

It should be easy, I think that's the only place they would reason to put the wiring, unless they tucked it in somewhere.

Best bet it to take a look at it. You'd be doing us Xi guys all a favor, and I'd have no problem donating to your cause
Its funny because I have actually been thinking about doing something like this for over a year now and haven't logged onto this forum in a long time. It all started when I saw a $17K suzuki that had the option of being AWD, RWD, or 4-wheel drive, and my $50K BMW can only be AWD. I log on today and see this thread up and now I have all the motivation I need to get this done. I got a great idea that is a simple solution that I think would work, especially after seeing that you can remove a fuse to get this done, minus the windshield wiper problem. It would be switchable between RWD and AWD.

Now for another question, does anyone foresee any problems with the computer thinking that it can control power between the front and back and not being able to in regards to the traction control system? My solution would not automatically disable the traction control like pulling the fuse.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #187
stratplaya06
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi-SOLD 5.0 Miata

Quote:
Its funny because I have actually been thinking about doing something like this for over a year now and haven't logged onto this forum in a long time. It all started when I saw a $17K suzuki that had the option of being AWD, RWD, or 4-wheel drive, and my $50K BMW can only be AWD. I log on today and see this thread up and now I have all the motivation I need to get this done. I got a great idea that is a simple solution that I think would work, especially after seeing that you can remove a fuse to get this done, minus the windshield wiper problem. It would be switchable between RWD and AWD.

Now for another question, does anyone foresee any problems with the computer thinking that it can control power between the front and back and not being able to in regards to the traction control system? My solution would not automatically disable the traction control like pulling the fuse.

If this solution allows 100% RWD without losing any other features that aren't obviously affected by not having AWD (hopefully being able to keep brake assist, stability control etc., and not setting any crazy lights) then I will be first in line for this and a LSD for the rear.

Market this product to a vendor who sells LSD's and you will both benefit.

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #188
aakrusen
To Punish and Enslave
Rep
Drives: with both hands on the wheel

Garage List
2008 M3 E92  [9.00]
Quote:

While you're in there, could you make the "switch" be the button I mentioned earlier in this post? The button by the passenger heated seat.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #189
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakrusen View Post
While you're in there, could you make the "switch" be the button I mentioned earlier in this post? The button by the passenger heated seat.
I liked this idea, looked very OEM.

I'll be sure to work on crafting something along these lines if he gets to work on finding the wiring.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #190
blauner335
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakrusen View Post
Sure thing. I was thinking of a way to incorporate that, hopefully it wont be too difficult. I always wondered why they put so many buttons down there for me to just use 3 of them (heated seats and hill descent).

But I will try not to get too far ahead of myself, I guess I need to make sure this will work first before I get everyone's hopes up. Hopefully I will know in the next couple of weeks once I get digging and get a couple parts ordered. I will be sure to keep everyone updated.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #191
henry418
Captain
Rep

I like where this is going
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #192
Lenaxia
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6MT

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Sure thing. I was thinking of a way to incorporate that, hopefully it wont be too difficult. I always wondered why they put so many buttons down there for me to just use 3 of them (heated seats and hill descent).

But I will try not to get too far ahead of myself, I guess I need to make sure this will work first before I get everyone's hopes up. Hopefully I will know in the next couple of weeks once I get digging and get a couple parts ordered. I will be sure to keep everyone updated.
Have you actually ever USED hill descent? i have it in my XI and i still can't figure out what use it actually has.
      04-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #193
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenaxia View Post
Have you actually ever USED hill descent? i have it in my XI and i still can't figure out what use it actually has.
Neither have I. On the Rover, it does help temper the amount of braking and other elements while descending in an almost traction-free environment.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #194
sk8board511
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90-Bikes on bikes on bikes

In again for hopeful update/ solution its raining here so i think i might pull the fuse tonight and have a little fun in my works parking lot
      04-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #195
sk8board511
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90-Bikes on bikes on bikes

I think someone should make a post or Master list of all the "cons" of pulling the fuse so that someone coming in can just see it and decide,

i know i read a few "cons" like speedo not working, traction control turned off, wipers go crazy, dash board turns x-mas tree but we should make a true list of what the actual effects are of going RWD by the fuse. preferably made by someone who has done it themselves and not just ones that have read through the postings
      04-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #196
henry418
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8board511 View Post
I think someone should make a post or Master list of all the "cons" of pulling the fuse so that someone coming in can just see it and decide,

i know i read a few "cons" like speedo not working, traction control turned off, wipers go crazy, dash board turns x-mas tree but we should make a true list of what the actual effects are of going RWD by the fuse. preferably made by someone who has done it themselves and not just ones that have read through the postings
You may need to buy new rear tires
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #197
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Not sure if this will apply here or not, but my xi wasn't working properly (no 4x4, abs, dsc). Car acted just like 2wd w/o abs, dsc. I used DIS to read the car and errors and it came up as transfer case (VTG) not coded (how in the world it ended up not coded is a surprise to me, although car was in an accident and maybe that knocked it out, go figure). So, I used SSS (see coding forums, particularly bimmerforums) to code my car. SSS coded my car just fine and now 4x4, DSC, and ABS work.

Anyway, I'm throwing this out there because if a switch is put in the transfer case wiring, the car may read it as non-functioning and shut off abs and dsc. Not sure if it will or not, but just a thought. I hope this switch works though!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #198
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8board511 View Post

Cons are as stated:

Wipers: consistently on. There's a fix: turn off the car and turn it back on. Now the wipers are off, but cannot be activated again until the fuse is replaced.

Speedometer: that is dead.

Signal: turn signals are not self cancelling anymore, due to the steering position sensor being deactivated.

ABS: This is out, and I mean out. I stomped on the brakes to test and caught all 4 wheels in lock. I don't recommend on public roads.

AWD: the obvious, this doesnt work. And its an open diff with no intervention from DTC meaning one wheel can spin to its hearts desire. Proven with experimentation.
Appreciate 0