E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BMW PE sound help

09-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
dbudh001
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m4cs 2020

BMW Performance Exhaust Advise

Ok. So let me explain my situation. I've installed my BMW PE a few months back, and I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be...
Car is an e92 335i 07, it has AR catless DPs , and the PE ... With stock mid pipes .. At start up /idle it sounds beautiful...All the way up to about 3-4k rpm. Everything after that sounds raspy and quite honestly nasty. Like a civic almost

What can I do to solve this

I've been told add 2 resonators.
But , Will this take away from the start up noise and everything before 3k rpm ?

Also. Which resonators do you guys recommend ? And what about placement ?

I've also heard change the mid pipes... To even put the OEM DPs back in ( not an option )

Any sound clips would b great
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 12:16 AM   #2
mmorrismm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is AW Coral Red

Cool

Same situation here but with the 'is' exhaust.
After the vrsf down pipes I hate how raspy it is.

Also considered putting OEM DP back in, not an option.

Problem with taking mid-cats out and installing resonators may be smoke and smell will increase.

Highly considering now the cp-e or AR Design catted or resonated down-pipes.

I hope more post on this topic.
      09-07-2014, 02:01 AM   #3
dbudh001
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I was thinking putting the resonators a little bit down from the DPs. But I was waiting to see if I would have gotten some responses here. See what others have done .... No help anyone ?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 03:43 AM   #4
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
335is here as well and it is a little raspy after 4.5k with catless DPs. It's certainly not a deal breaker though.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
dbudh001
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I agree it's not. Just don't like the ricey sound. Think I might as well just remove the 2ndary cats and add resonators Didn't want to have to do that. But guess there's. No other option
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:17 AM   #6
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

U guys are upgrading your exhaust and then complaining about the sound?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:46 AM   #7
jeffblue
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

i had the PE For a while. I honestly think its the best sounding exhaust with stock downpipes. after installing AR downpipes it sounded like shit IMO. on cold start it sounded like a boat and under load it sounded like a semi tractor trailer hitting vtec. if you start messing around with adding resonators you will lose a lot of the very characteristic burbles/pops. honestly the best thing you can do if you don't want to get rid of downpipes and lose power to improve the sound is go back to a stock axelback. you will lose most of the harshness and rasp. IMO the remus exhaust sounds better than any exhaust with downpipes. I have a bunch of clips of cold starts/drive by/gopro ext mic/ footage of PE with and without downpipes and Remus with downpipes. So yea tl;dr if you want to keep downpipes and have an exhaust that doesn't sound like shit, ditch the PE and get a remus or stock.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jeffblue00/videos
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorrismm View Post
Same situation here but with the 'is' exhaust.
After the vrsf down pipes I hate how raspy it is.

Also considered putting OEM DP back in, not an option.

Problem with taking mid-cats out and installing resonators may be smoke and smell will increase.

Highly considering now the cp-e or AR Design catted or resonated down-pipes.

I hope more post on this topic.
Really ?

I have Catless DP's they are 2.5" not 3" and my car sounds GREAT...

specially when I get on it... now I did connect the Valve back so my second muffler stays closed most of the time at normal driving conditions..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:09 PM   #9
mmorrismm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is AW Coral Red

I think I figured it out. I really have a problem when the top is down. With the top up I do not have a problem with it as much. Actually I do like the WOT sound.

I have been contemplating on getting the new Cobb Catted down-pipes. But now I question would it really make that much of a difference in the first place. Or would adding resonators be a better option. I think the cleaner option is the Down-pipes. Does anyone think the catted down-pipe with the 200 CEL cats will rid the raspiness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgeater2 View Post
Really ?

I have Catless DP's they are 2.5" not 3" and my car sounds GREAT...

specially when I get on it... now I did connect the Valve back so my second muffler stays closed most of the time at normal driving conditions..
      10-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #10
dbudh001
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffblue
i had the PE For a while. I honestly think its the best sounding exhaust with stock downpipes. after installing AR downpipes it sounded like shit IMO. on cold start it sounded like a boat and under load it sounded like a semi tractor trailer hitting vtec. if you start messing around with adding resonators you will lose a lot of the very characteristic burbles/pops. honestly the best thing you can do if you don't want to get rid of downpipes and lose power to improve the sound is go back to a stock axelback. you will lose most of the harshness and rasp. IMO the remus exhaust sounds better than any exhaust with downpipes. I have a bunch of clips of cold starts/drive by/gopro ext mic/ footage of PE with and without downpipes and Remus with downpipes. So yea tl;dr if you want to keep downpipes and have an exhaust that doesn't sound like shit, ditch the PE and get a remus or stock.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jeffblue00/videos
I'm not even goina lie the Remus with AR Downpipes sounds pretty Damn good. Do you have any at WOT? Just spent 1200 on my PE. And kinda regret it now ::face palm:: Also which one of the Remus exhaust is that
Appreciate 0