E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Need help with stock system please!!

06-04-2008, 09:09 AM   #1
SantaPimp27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow homie

Need help with stock system please!!

I have a 325xi 2006 with idrive. i have the stock system and i want to urgrade the bass in the car. what can i do because i cannot replace my head unit??? im not looking for new speakers right away, just want a sub
      06-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87130
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Your system has an OEM amp which is connected to the HU with a fiber optic cable carrying a proprietary signal. As such, the only analog audio signals you have are the F door speaker signals, the R door speaker signals, and the underseat woofer speaker signals - all coming out of the amp in the trunk. Each one only plays the notes associated with those speakers.

You have two ways to go:

1) Add an amp - taking the signal from the OEM amp that goes to the underseat woofers - and upgrade the underseat woofers to Earthquake SWS-8. While this sounds like a nice upgrade, it may not be enough bass for you depending on what you want. This is a good approach for hi-fi sound and nothing in the trunk.

2) Add and amp the same way as above, but put a woofer(s) in the trunk. This give you a bigger woofer and can play more bass, which is what you want for lower or louder sound than the two 8s can play. If you are OK with trunk subs and what obnoxious sound, this is the approach for you.

Adding an amp is actually pretty straightforward for someone who has done it before or who understand the concept (use speaker-level signals that already carry bass only, make your turn on work, etc.), but if you are not technical and inexperienced, I would recommend a pro. IN NJ, I think highly of BMW owner and highly skilled installer Ron Lewart (whom I recommended to you before) - but in the NJ area you probably have access to some forum members who might be interested in helping out.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 11:01 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaPimp27 View Post
I have a 325xi 2006 with idrive. i have the stock system and i want to urgrade the bass in the car. what can i do because i cannot replace my head unit??? im not looking for new speakers right away, just want a sub
You should get something like this and call it a day...

... from here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66141

Or wait until JL Audio releases its Stealthbox for the E90.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, Manual

Man there are soooooooo many options that your question is a bit hard to answer without clarifying it a bit (IMO). First you have to realize that their are different systems. The HIFI comes with a black amp in the back left corner (under the plastic piece) of your trunk. If you have that then you have several options. If you have the other (a silver amp) you still have many options, but you are not going to be able to eliminate the amp.

For the HIFI you can power your existing subs more by getting a simple amp and that will give you more bass (not great bass, but more). You can upgrade you existing subs to SWS-8s and then power them and that will give you alot more bass. You could upgrade your subs, upgrade your speakers and get an amp to run the entire system and you would be set.

Really it all depends on how 'far' you want to go. Give a clear concept of what you want and how much you want to spend and I think you will get the info you want.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I think all iDrive cars have the MOST connection between HU and amp, whether they are Logic 7 or not, don't they?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
I think all iDrive cars have the MOST connection between HU and amp, whether they are Logic 7 or not, don't they?
No, only Logic7.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #8
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Gotta disagree with you there. I have seen MOST cables going into the amp on non-Logic 7 cars... I've seen the copper-wire cars too, so I've seen it both ways.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 06:12 PM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Gotta disagree with you there. I have seen MOST cables going into the amp on non-Logic 7 cars... I've seen the copper-wire cars too, so I've seen it both ways.
You are going to find a MOST connection in the OEM amp regardless of iDrive/OEM HU, but that is for control/diagnostics and not for audio, which I was not that clear to point out.

Audio remains analog in the non-Logic7 system: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...63&postcount=4

Actually, what you can get out of the descriptions of the each type of audio system in the current E9x is that the OEM HU/Navigation computer are the same (same P/N) regardless of the OEM amp connected to them. Which tells me right there that the unit themselves are capable of dual output, analog or digital, most probably by just changing their programming from one type of OEM amp to another and making the necessary physical connections.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 06:27 PM   #10
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I have seen some E90 non-L7 amps without the MOST connector and some with the MOST connector. I will research this tonight... I have a hard time believing that the expense would be there for diagnostics only, or that these would vary.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I have seen some E90 non-L7 amps without the MOST connector and some with the MOST connector. I will research this tonight... I have a hard time believing that the expense would be there for diagnostics only, or that these would vary.
The P/N of the HiFi amp for non-Logic7 is the same regadless of type of OEM source, and the OEM description of the different type of systems is clear in stating that the HiFi amp itself is analog regardless of OEM source.

If anything, I would bet that the systems that you have seen with the MOST connector most probably were iDrive systems, as there is more "use" for a MOST connection in iDrive than with the HU. However, the amp itself is still analog and can be bypassed.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #12
SantaPimp27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just to clarify my first post(sorry it was not clear i am new to forums). I am not looking for bass that you can hear from a mile. I listen to a lot of country and some rap. I want bass that wont ruin the song but you need to be able to feel it.

Thanks VP Electricity i think i am going to go with the two Earthquake SWS-8 subs under the seats so i do not have to put a big box in my trunk. Im not looking for obnoxious bass. Thanks for the reply.. Can this be done for under a $1000? i do not know much about price tags.

Thanks
      06-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #13
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I would think that $200-300 for a good amp is going rate. Its looks like the pair of SWS8s are running you $250-275? Then install... if you want to play with taking your seats out, read the DIY threads well
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #14
SantaPimp27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I have read a little on the issue, and it seems that if i replace the subs under my seats it will void part of my warranty(Electrical). What are the chances that this will mess up the electrical components of my car? and do i have to remove them for my matinence check-ups?
      06-04-2008, 10:06 PM   #15
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaPimp27 View Post
I have read a little on the issue, and it seems that if i replace the subs under my seats it will void part of my warranty(Electrical). What are the chances that this will mess up the electrical components of my car? and do i have to remove them for my matinence check-ups?
1) BMW doesn't want you do to ANYTHING to your car.

2) If properly performed installing subs and an amp will not damage your car in any way.

3) If you screw up dueing this process you can easily damage the amp. If you goof up when pulling your seats you can easily set your SRS warning light code.

4) If the install is done cleanly, most dealers won't hassle you. If it looks like Circuit City did it... no guarantees.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 10:34 PM   #16
SantaPimp27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the help VP. I know a audio shop by me with a great reputation. Im going to try to get there soon. Thanks again