E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > light up my life

12-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
RHoworth
Rep
Drives: 318D

light up my life

Hi All

After a brief time i have finally come back to the world of BMW's and just purchased a 2012 E91 3 series touring M Sport.

I'm wanting to replace the bulbs ASAP and get the dealer to fit them before i pick the car up. Sounds daft but i'm not sure what type they are.

Its not mentioned in the dealership advert so my presumption is it'll just be the standard H7 ones, would that be right?

I've seen a set of OSRAM Night Breaker Plus H7 12V 55W +90% headlight bulbs from autobulbs direct, anyone got any personal experience of them or any other recommendations?

Robbie
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

I bought Philips X-treme +100% because they won the AutoExpress test. They were about 20GBP a pair but were an absolute nightmare to fit. My hands are just too big and I had to get my girlfriend to actually fit them.

I got them because my previous car (E39 540) had Xenons and I was hoping for something similar from the uprated bulbs. TBH, I was underwhelmed as the difference is only just noticeable.

They are probably just about worth the money but not the hassle.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
G_M_S
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330D

If it's a BMW dealer you're getting the car from , get them to fit a set of Genuine BMW Performance Bulbs, probably a little more expensive that the other makes you've mentioned and almost certainly made by one of the same companies - probably Osram.

http://www.vinesbmwshop.co.uk/produc..._Bulbs_PERBULB

You'll also be covered by the BMW 2 year warranty
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 04:37 AM   #4
RHoworth
Rep

Thanks for the feedback, looks like its the performance bulbs for me then as its a bmw dealership I'm buying from.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 05:44 AM   #5
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
I bought Philips X-treme +100% because they won the AutoExpress test. They were about 20GBP a pair but were an absolute nightmare to fit. My hands are just too big and I had to get my girlfriend to actually fit them.

I got them because my previous car (E39 540) had Xenons and I was hoping for something similar from the uprated bulbs. TBH, I was underwhelmed as the difference is only just noticeable.

They are probably just about worth the money but not the hassle.
+1 Uprated bulbs are definitely better but the improvement isn't exactly huge. My biggest problem was geting the old bulbs out of the holders, they'd only been in for 12 moths but they felt like they'd been welded in

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_S View Post
If it's a BMW dealer you're getting the car from , get them to fit a set of Genuine BMW Performance Bulbs, probably a little more expensive that the other makes you've mentioned and almost certainly made by one of the same companies - probably Osram.

http://www.vinesbmwshop.co.uk/produc..._Bulbs_PERBULB

You'll also be covered by the BMW 2 year warranty
Do BMW really cover bulbs for 2 years? I'd still rather spend £40 on 4 Philips bulbs than the £90 BMW want, and I can't see BMW fitting them free of charge
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
G_M_S
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330D

Price is definately for a pair - see Vines eBay add:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-BM...-/160732617399

Most BMW accessories and Spares are covered by their warranty (see note in Vines advert above) - what will additionally be covered is your plastic lenses, bulb holders, wiring etc should there be any issues - some of these "higher performance bulbs" are hotter
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
RHoworth
Rep

Thanks for all the replies.
Appreciate 0