E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Oops, bought a m3!!

10-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #23
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Regarding your wrap, have you identified who you're going to have do it for you?
It's a bit of a minefield - I've seem beautiful work and some absolute shockers. I know you don't need me to tell you, but please make sure you do your homework. And make sure they get loads of pics, I love seeing in progress shots of the process!

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #24
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo mofo View Post
A car thats made to look like an M3 but not the real deal.
I don't think it does look like an M3 though.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #25
thejimreaper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330d m sport

New one looks nice mate, would love one myself. What's the details of your old one your going to sell, mileage, age etc?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #26
1sh@Crystalwhite
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey

congratulations!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #27
225_AB
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ 1161 View Post
Come on keep up. It's a 335d with all m3 body panels and interior! ( obviously ) I'm sure you could argue that the term ' m3 replica' is flawed if you drill into it enough but you get the general gist!!
Oh we'll you've got a real one now
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #28
NJ 1161
Major
Rep
Drives: 335D M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
Congrats mate.
M3
Thanks mak. Silly thing is the fact the dead battery was causing me issues made me 'turn my head' to autotrader and spur of the moment thing, I was viewing an m3!

Will def need some coding done on it so may well be paying you a visit
As they say, things happen for your good.
Can't believe that dead battery cause you to get M3.
Great, looking forward to see your M3 in flash.
Caused me to look, and as you say the rest just happened to fit correctly, location, price, day off etc!

Regarding the wrap, not one chosen as yet but read plenty and will be doing thorough research before handing over the keys. ( will get pics)

Thanks 1sh and yes, I certainly have got a real one , doc!
      10-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #29
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejimreaper
New one looks nice mate, would love one myself. What's the details of your old one your going to sell, mileage, age etc?
Not really ready for sale yet. Got to mot, get tracking done, find a set of oem 335d brakes and get swapped over before I put on market. Pm me if you want some details. Cheers Nick
      10-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #30
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2017 BMW F30 330D  [0.00]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Caused me to look, and as you say the rest just happened to fit correctly, location, price, day off etc!

Regarding the wrap, no one chosen as yet but read plenty and will be doing thorough research before handing over the keys.

We use these at work for our show cars, fantastic work and would use anytime.

http://www.totally-dynamic.co.uk/go/...y-dynamic.html
      10-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #31
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky68
Quote:

Regarding the wrap, no one chosen as yet but read plenty and will be doing thorough research before handing over the keys.

We use these at work for our show cars, fantastic work and would use anytime.

http://www.totally-dynamic.co.uk/go/...y-dynamic.html
Thanks mate, emailed for a quote.
      10-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #32
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2017 BMW F30 330D  [0.00]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Will have a chat with them tomorrow, might be able to sort out a discount.
      10-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #33
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky68
Quote:
Will have a chat with them tomorrow, might be able to sort out a discount.

That would be ideal. I'm based in Ipswich, Suffolk so could use Norfolk or north London, or poss Milton Keynes. If required mail will be under my name Nick Johnson. Cheers.
      10-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #34
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Be careful with lowering springs - very easy to destroy the handling and ride if not done properly as there is very little suspension travel as standard. If the car has EDC, the Ground Control kit is thoroughly recommended.

What induction kit do you have planned? Not many produce any gains at all.

Best website for info is m3cutters and good luck with the modding.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #35
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Nice car, but that must have taken a whack to write off a 2 year old, 12k miles BMW M3 that was probably worth about £35,000-40,000 at the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #36
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man
Be careful with lowering springs - very easy to destroy the handling and ride if not done properly as there is very little suspension travel as standard. If the car has EDC, the Ground Control kit is thoroughly recommended.

What induction kit do you have planned? Not many produce any gains at all.

Best website for info is m3cutters and good luck with the modding.
Found m3 cutters and reading plenty.

Car is non edc and so far found intrax springs that come recommended, and a member on cutters has a ground control kit ( semi coilover kit) that is available, however this is more expensive.

Regarding induction kits read that the oem system is pretty good and expect little gain, but this is as far as I have got !
      10-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #37
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Found m3 cutters and reading plenty.

Car is non edc and so far found intrax springs that come recommended, and a member on cutters has a ground control kit ( semi coilover kit) that is available, however this is more expensive.

Regarding induction kits read that the oem system is pretty good and expect little gain, but this is as far as I have got !
Don't know anyone running Intrax. Eibach yes. But by installing lowering springs, the bump stops will need changing and the top mounts shaved, else the suspension will have zero travel and be riding on the bump stops. Do a search for Alpina527 on his suspension thread. The GC kit does offer a bigger dynamic improvement than just the springs. Eibach springs are progressive and ~24% stiffer than stock. Simpson Motorsport sell the GC kit so are a good bunch to talk to for some real advice. All depends what your requirement are really? Cosmetic or dynamic.

OEM induction system is very good and able to provide in excess of 400 litres of air per second. It's not a sealed system so adding scoops are pointless and Envy charge systems add zero power for example. BMC filter provides 1bhp. Both tested by Evolve. BMC does add a nice little sound to the intake noise which is increased by Evolve remap. Other tunes may also produce same effect but I can only speak from personal experience.

AC Schnitzer offer a carbon airbox (the bit that sits on the top of the engine) which they say provides a good power gain but it's over £2k I recall. Evolve are working on one for next year.

No bhp gains from changing back boxes. Changing X-pipes to one without the primary cats and high flow secondaries provides big power gains, along with plenty more torque to around 458bhp / 335lb ft on Shell Vpower with Evolve stage 2 map.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #38
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Don't know anyone running Intrax. Eibach yes. But by installing lowering springs, the bump stops will need changing and the top mounts shaved, else the suspension will have zero travel and be riding on the bump stops. Do a search for Alpina527 on his suspension thread. The GC kit does offer a bigger dynamic improvement than just the springs. Eibach springs are progressive and ~24% stiffer than stock. Simpson Motorsport sell the GC kit so are a good bunch to talk to for some real advice. All depends what your requirement are really? Cosmetic or dynamic.

OEM induction system is very good and able to provide in excess of 400 litres of air per second. It's not a sealed system so adding scoops are pointless and Envy charge systems add zero power for example. BMC filter provides 1bhp. Both tested by Evolve. BMC does add a nice little sound to the intake noise which is increased by Evolve remap. Other tunes may also produce same effect but I can only speak from personal experience.

AC Schnitzer offer a carbon airbox (the bit that sits on the top of the engine) which they say provides a good power gain but it's over £2k I recall. Evolve are working on one for next year.

No bhp gains from changing back boxes. Changing X-pipes to one without the primary cats and high flow secondaries provides big power gains, along with plenty more torque to around 458bhp / 335lb ft on Shell Vpower with Evolve stage 2 map.
Wow, thanks for taking the time to educate a ' newbie'. Appreciate it

Intrax are provided through evolve and I think it's f16rce that's running them and car looks nicely low. Read about bump stops etc so aware of these issues. Doing a bit more investigation on the gc kit so will give Simpons a call.

Will research some of your induction suggestions. Happy with power so really more a ' sound' gain tbh.

Actually bought a cheap eBay back box, and decat system in the 'spur of the moment ' thing.

Thinking I will keep the back box ( even if temporary) but not sure if de cat pipes a good idea. Would these need coding or a remap?.

I see your in east anglia. Where abouts ? Cheers Nick

Last edited by NJ 1161; 10-18-2012 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #39
Alex.Devol
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M-Sport LCI

Wow, congrats nick! Pleased for you mate, looking forward to hearing about how the cars compare.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #40
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Wow, thanks for taking the time to educate a ' newbie'. Appreciate it

Intrax are provided through evolve and I think it's f1erce that's running them and car looks nicely low. Read about bump stops etc so aware of these issues. Doing a bit more investigation on the gc kit so will give Simpons a call.

Will research some of your induction suggestions. Happy with power so really more a ' sound' gain tbh.

Actually bought a cheap eBay back box, and decat system in the 'spur of the moment ' thing.

Thinking I will keep the back box ( even if temporary) but not sure if de cat pipes a good idea. Would these need coding or a remap?.

I see your in east anglia. Where abouts ? Cheers Nick
No worries. I've spent an awful long term on my own research.

If you just want to increase / improve the sound under WOT then the cheapest mod might be to just remove the secondary cats (i.e knock them through the pipes) - no need to tell insurers and car will look stock. Plenty of OEM x-pipes for sale too. Info on M3 cutters.

If the front cats are removed (the most restrictive part of the exhaust system) then a remap is recommended to regain some of the lost low-down torque and maximise power gains The real difference though (with the x-pipe and remap) is how it makes the car feel on the road. It's a big difference and maximises the S65 torque curve characteristics- where over 90% max torque is available over a 6k rev range! I can use 3rd gear from 20mph to 110mph; the pull is clean and responsive. It's this flexibility that makes the M3 so good on the road and track.

I don't know what the spring ratings are for Intrax but having been in Alpina527's car (Eibachs), it feels a bit harsher than stock around town (i.e. mine on the day) but we were running difference tyres (Michelin v's Conti) and didn't check pressures, so not the greatest comparison.

You can also run a more aggressive geometry set up to increase turn-in and steering feel even further. I forget their name, but a well known BMW tuner / motorsport team based in Northampton, have a set up. It may well increase tyre wear though if you do a lot of motorway style driving due to increase in negative camber. I know that Simpson's stick to OEM specs.

Vpower - Evolve have tested Vpower against standard unleaded. Power gain is 10bhp! So the cheapest mod available. But again the biggest difference is how it makes the car feel on the road.

Once you get used to driving the M3, the immense drive out of corners and almost zero wheelspin, I'd recommend turning off the traction control and feel how alive the car feels but also how easy and predictable it is to power slide. It makes for a wonderful connection between car, engine, steering, throttle and driver.

I'm based in Essex - a nice part, not the bling / chavvy TOWIE areas
Happy to meet up, so feel free to PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #41
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Thanks again. Fear I've got a lot of reading to do. Will be sure to pm you, when heading that way ( if you dont mind i may send you a few of my potential purchases for you opinion). Still waiting for the paperwork back from dvla
      10-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #42
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.Devol View Post
Wow, congrats nick! Pleased for you mate, looking forward to hearing about how the cars compare.
Cheers Alex, won't need to worry about the cf roof wrap now!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 04:41 AM   #43
ng04ryl
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90

Nice m3
Appreciate 0