E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Hawaii > BMW Honolulu is a terrible dealer

07-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

BMW Honolulu is a terrible dealer

I'm sure a lot of you already know this but I figured I'd just share some of my experiences with them so that other people don't have to go through what I did.

I actually didn't have any problems with the sales part of it but the guy who sold me my car is long gone and it sounded like he wasn't very happy there. He has since moved to Mercedes. The bigger issue is that their service department just plain sucks. The techs are incompetent and the management is even worse. My car is well out of warranty now but even when I was under warranty they routinely messed up stuff and always had an excuse why it wasn't their fault. Here are the 3 major issues I had with them but there was many other smaller issues.

1. I had water leaking into the cabin and building up on the floor in front of the passengers seat. Dealer looked into it and did a leak test. They said they found that the vapor barrier on the door head some areas were the betalink wasn't sealing so they suggested resealing it with new betalink. I was out of warranty already but didn't want to deal with it so I told them do it. I go back to pick up my car and the tint on my drivers and passengers side front windows are scratched. It looked like they were jamming a screw driver between the window and the window seal. For what, I'm not sure. When I pointed it out to them, I was told by the service manager that it's not their fault because tint is not installed from the factory. After much back and forth, they agreed to pay for the replacement of the tint which I had done at T&T. Luckily, T&T said my tint was still under warranty and only charged $25 which the dealer reimbursed me for.

2. I had a rear trailing arm break while I was driving on King St. Took it to the dealer and they blamed it on my Eibach springs. Highly unlikely but I got the point that they were going to try to blame anything aftermarket. So I told them to just fix it and I paid. I go back to pick up the car and they give me all the paperwork including the alignment print out. I see about half the numbers on the alignment print out are red meaning that its out of spec. I ask them what happened with the alignment and they tell me that's the best they can do because my car has aftermarket springs. They didn't know that I had just had the car aligned less than 2 weeks prior by another shop and they got it to factory spec. When I showed them the print out from the other shop they agreed to try again. The next day, I get it back in spec and they tell me the reason it wasn't correct the first time is because they had a new tech working on the alignment and he wasn't familiar with M3s.

3. This past weekend I was getting ready to replace the spark plugs since they were due (I'm at 67,xxx miles). Service interval for those according to the manual is 37k miles and it was last done by the dealer at 30k miles. I take the covers off the engine to expose the ignition coils and I see that 2 of the heads on the coils have been broken off. The only time that cover was taken off previously was when the dealer replaced the plugs at 30k miles. Understanding that 30k miles was over 3 years ago, I figured I had little recourse but I would send the service manager a message anyway. I send him picture of the broken coils and explain the situation. He calls me back and says it's been too long and they are not responsible for it. He also said there is no way to know who broke it. Then in a total idiot move, he tells me maybe they just broke from wear and tear. No I don't know what kind of wear and tear could happen on the head of the coil. I explained to him that the coil is under a cover and there is nothing that should ever come in contact with it unless it is the tool to remove it. Then he tries to blame the shop I took it to to have the plugs replaced and I told him I removed the covers myself. He sounded surprised and said he didn't know I could work on my own car. At that point I was really pissed because he was treating me like someone he could push around because he didn't think I knew anything about cars. When I started to ask him questions about what he knows about what it takes to service that car he got quiet and just said he doesn't know. I think he finally got fed up with me just totally going off on him and he offered to give me 2 replacement coils for the ones that were broken and I could fix it myself. I said fine and his exact words were "come pick it up at the part desk" followed by him just hanging up on me. I guess I know why he's the service manager now. Totally fits the profile of typically BMW owner. Giant Dbag!

I even had a meeting after the tint issue with the service manager and the QA officer. They tried to tell me that their service department was the best option for servicing my car because they have more knowledge and all the correct tools that most other shops can't or won't get. Well, my experience with them is that I could get any backyard mechanic working on old Hondas to do better work than them.

Bottom line, just don't buy a BMW if you live on Oahu. It's just not worth having to deal with them.
      07-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Man that sucks to hear.

I bought a 2010 CPO 335i from them a few weeks ago. Car developed a few issues within a couple days:

- Extremely rough cold starts * Changed both banks injectors and and plugs
- Passenger seat belt butler failed to catch * fixed butler
- Sticky substance on inside of drivers window * window no longer has the nasty inside streaks after 3 weeks
- Drivers side roof trim had a broken clip * fixed the roof trim

They gave me a loaner and had all the issues fixed with in 5 hours. In my opinion they exceeded my expectations.

Sorry to hear you had such a bad expierence with them. They also gave me 3K more than the Ford dealer offered for my trade in(2013 Mustang 5.0).

-Nick
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 02:43 AM   #3
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

i have had several horrible experiences in the past with the dealer as well. now that my car is off of warranty, I take it to BME. they consistently exceed expectations. i hear A&A is good also.
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 03:16 AM   #4
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Got those broken coils removed and replaced no thanks to the dealer. After a lengthy argument with the service manager, he agreed to give me 2 replacement coils but told me they would not touch my car anymore. Not that I would let them anyway. I think he finally got fed up with me telling him how incompetent his service people are because he finally gave in and offered me the 2 coils but after I said ok he just said "Come pick them up at the parts counter" and then hung up on me.

Someone on the M3 forum suggested a method to remove the broken coild by wrapping a wire under the connector and pulling straight up. It worked perfectly but you have to pull really hard. The wire left welts on my hands so I I had to wrap my hand with a cloth and then try again. Got them out after that. . I even had to use that method on the #4 coil (passenger's side closest to the firewall) because I couldn't get enough leverage on the removal tool to remove the coil.

Here' s pic of the broken coils and the removed plugs. The plugs don't look to bad after a little over 37k miles.

Last edited by 808MGuy; 07-14-2013 at 03:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
chuxdelux
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1988/1998/2005 M3

Im glad that Im not the only one that has had bad experiences at this dealership. Every time I bring my car to the dealership there is always an issue of some sorts. This thing that sucks is they treat their customers like shit bc there are no other BMW dealerships on island. These guys spend more time explaining why they bear no responsibility in fixing a car under warranty that they prob could have fixed the issue in less time and less headache than bending the customer over.

The last time I took my car to the dealership was bc of a left taillight that was out and bc my abs light would come on intermittently. They fixed the bulb that was out, but the issue was a piece of metal had attached itself to the abs sensor causing it to come on intermittently. They charged me $75 bc they had to remove the wheel, remove the piece of metal, and then reinstall the wheel. I about freaking lost it. It's not like $75 is a big deal, but it is when the car is under warranty.
Anyhow, I got refunded my $75 back when I received a telephone survey. The only reason I received my refund was bc they tech that worked on my car left his screwdriver in my trunk. That was one expensive screwdriver when I returned it.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Yup. It seems to be a pretty significant problem but BMWNA is not willing or in a position to do anything about it. I had serious thoughts about starting a website that documents all of these issues and invites others to do the same. Maybe even solicit ads from Audi Hawaii, Servco Lexus and Mercedes Honolulu on the site. I wonder if there is a domain name very close to BMW honolulu or something similar available. It would be perfect because if someone did a search it would probably come up.

Any lawyers in the house? Is publishing bad experiences at a dealer something they have their lawyers come after me for? Something needs to be done about this.
      07-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Darryl79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW 330i

I bought mine from there and thankfully - knock on wood - no issues as of yet. I'm sure they thrive on monopolizing the area due to them being the only BMW dealer. You'd think they'd put more emphasis on customer service and making sure the customer is happy. After all, this is still an island and word spreads.

That's what the BBB is for. Use this link for reviews http://www.bbb.org/hawaii/business-r...onolulu-hi-245
      07-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

BBB would not e applicable to my current situation. My issue has been resolved so there is nothing for BBB to take action on. My bigger concern is the fact that this seems to be deemed acceptable business practice within BMW Honolulu and possibly by BMWNA and it needs to be made known to other potential buyers since they are the only option in town.

Most are to fearful of repercussions when going through official channels due to the possibility of being black listed for future service (I was actually told this by a BMWNA rep when I complained about a previous incident). If complaints are posted through relatively anonymous screen names, more truth tends to come out.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep

From the way I have been treated there. This thread seriously surprises me. Makes me a little worried to be honest. I hope they dont start being dicks all of a sudden, lol.

-Nick
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 11:08 PM   #10
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to335i View Post
From the way I have been treated there. This thread seriously surprises me. Makes me a little worried to be honest. I hope they dont start being dicks all of a sudden, lol.

-Nick
Sounds like you're still a new customer. Still in the newlywed stage and everyone there knows it. Just wait until you fade into the general customer base. They come around and show their cards eventually. All it takes is one screw up and they will go on the defensive. It's just a matter of if you're willing to put up the fight or you're just going to take it like most of their customers do.

I'm sure with all the incidents I've had, I'm probably black listed at that dealership already so my days there are done.
      07-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
chuxdelux
Captain
Rep

The crazy thing is we used to own a MINI type S and we were always treated with the utmost respect. They are the same service department yet they have different service advisors. I believe this is where the problem lies. We only had an issue once when our MINI was being serviced and they rectified it immediately.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

The head of the coil snapping from wear and tear? The guy is obviously a fucking idiot!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #13
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuxdelux View Post
The crazy thing is we used to own a MINI type S and we were always treated with the utmost respect. They are the same service department yet they have different service advisors. I believe this is where the problem lies. We only had an issue once when our MINI was being serviced and they rectified it immediately.
Actually, I think it's a management issue. The arrogance of the service manager and the QC officer trickles down to everyone in that department. I'm not sure if the Mini side has their own service manager.
      07-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #14
chuxdelux
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Actually, I think it's a management issue. The arrogance of the service manager and the QC officer trickles down to everyone in that department. I'm not sure if the Mini side has their own service manager.
True. I've spoken to a certain service manager on more than one occasion and was taken back by his reaction towards the issues we were having. He got in a full blown argument with my wife in the parking lot bc she brought it to his attention that there was oil spilled on the hood, bumper and fender of my car. The funny thing is I didn't bring it in for an oil change, I brought it in for a software update.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 04:53 AM   #15
IntegraXTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY08 E92 M3 and MY15 F80 M3

Jumping in this thread a tad bit late as I do not venture into this section a lot (Why they don't have a M3 specific Hawaii section is beyond me lol)

Anyways, I am sorry that you went through that ordeal. I totally agree with you about BMW's customer service. It is, without a doubt, THEE WORST I have ever experienced. I have had much better service with Honda dealerships (the manager CAME to my parents house when their accord sprung an oil leak from a faulty oil filter, he CLEANED MY PARENTS DRIVEWAY, did the oil change and set up an appointment to do a full maintenance FREE OF CHARGE...that's what you call service).

Honestly I don't want to name names, but avoid Bill Martin as your service advisor. Unprofessional (no hand shake, attitude, etc), claims that if you don't "give him a perfect score" they don't get paid, and would not warranty my steering wheel trim that was flaking off (previous owner) etcetc. I called BMWNA and they sent over a letter to BMW Honolulu. Well, that plan backfired bc from then on out, they have totally treated me like I am trying to con them.

I had the same thing told to me when they forgot to install new wiper blades. "come pick them up" *hang up*

Horrible horrible service! I will be taking my car to BME or do it myself from here on out
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #16
cwg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP. AZB on black

I am on my third BMW leased from theses guys. I have had nothing but great treatment on both the sales and service side. The only beef I have with them is the lack of loaner cars. I raised the issue with the service manager and he told me the were getting more cars. I usually use the night crew on service. Sales I use Thom Butler. Nice guy. Straight shooter knows his cars and no pressure or bs.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #17
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwg View Post
The only beef I have with them is the lack of loaner cars.
+1

Only Benz, Acura and Infiniti offer a fleet of loaners.

Having owned every luxury brand, I think BMW of Honolulu is very good. Servco Lexus was excellent. MB was good. Audi of Hawaii was very poor. Audi service had stolen personal items from my S4 and A8 when in the shop.
Sold - 2003 E46 M3 LSB SMG
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #18
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY13E92M3 View Post
+1

Only Benz, Acura and Infiniti offer a fleet of loaners.

Having owned every luxury brand, I think BMW of Honolulu is very good. Servco Lexus was excellent. MB was good. Audi of Hawaii was very poor. Audi service had stolen personal items from my S4 and A8 when in the shop.
This is my experience with BMW and Audi.

BMW tend to do 2 things when it comes to service. Screw it up and not tell you they screwed it up or screw it up and blame you. Not once have they ever fessed up to something once it was brought to their attention and not once have they ever come forward to say "we made a mistake and we'd like to fix it". These are not obvious things that a normal person would notice right away so if they never said anything, 95% of their customer base would never know. Unfortunately for them, I'm not one of those and I caught a few of their mistakes that I felt was unacceptable and a few other I felt were minor and didn't require me bringing it to their attention. Either way, that attitude shows that they either have no QC, no pride in their work, and don't really give a damn about their customer base.

Most of my experience with Audi service came from my last car which was over 6 years ago. Their service while expensive was always great. They never pushed unnecessary services on you although they would offer it to any sucker that would take it. Still one "no" was typically enough instead of the constant hounding to do their "fuel injection system cleaning" by BMW. I never had issues with shoddy work and anytime I did have to point out something they jumped on it and accommodated me right away. There was never finger pointing or arguing or unprofessional treatment from their service manager. If there was any dispute over cost, it was always done in a civil manner and they always took the courtesy to address me in person about issues rather than over the phone. I haven't taken my current Audi to them for service except for the initial 5k service since that was the only one that was free so I'm not sure if things have changed. I can say that the sales manager that handled my sale was a total prick but from what I understand he's gone now.

I haven't had any personal experiences with Mercedes or Lexus. I had a horrible sales experience at Lexus and my friends who have a Lexus tell me their service department likes to push unnecessary services and threaten to void warranties if you don't take it. My brother has a Mercedes and other than everything being really expensive (which is normal for most luxury dealers), he says their service is pretty good.
      08-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #19
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep

My first bad experience with BMW Honolulu this morning.

So I schedule an appointment with my SA yesterday to get my AC checked out because its been pretty much blowing hot air that last week or so. My AUX fan was also coming on more frequently and it was also a lot louder than I remembered it being so I thought maybe the water pump was on its way out also.

Drop my car off this morning and the SA calls me back about 2 hours later. He states that they have diagnosed the car and both of the issues I brought the car in for will not be covered under my warranty. I asked why not? He says because my AC system has been over pressurized and there is also too much oil in the AC system. He claims that I or someone else overfilled my AC system.........

I told that that was bogus and I have never even touched the AC system nor have I took the car anywhere else for that reason. I bought the car from them 2 months ago and bought it CPO for that reason.

SA then said the techs took measurements of the pressure and the amount of oil that was in the system and said it was way over tolerance to have been done previously by BMW, so it had to have happened while in my possession.

He then proceeds to tell me that at the moment there is a $300 bill for the diagnosing and another $150 to have the system recharged. Then they will check to make sure it is operating properly. If not, there will be more parts and labor?!?!?!?

This is bull shit!

Is there any leverage for this? I have always had great service from this dealer. I cant even think of a way that I can prove that this wasn't caused by something I did.

NEED OPINIONS. The car should be ready to be picked up in the next hour or so..

-Nick
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #20
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to335i View Post
My first bad experience with BMW Honolulu this morning.

So I schedule an appointment with my SA yesterday to get my AC checked out because its been pretty much blowing hot air that last week or so. My AUX fan was also coming on more frequently and it was also a lot louder than I remembered it being so I thought maybe the water pump was on its way out also.

Drop my car off this morning and the SA calls me back about 2 hours later. He states that they have diagnosed the car and both of the issues I brought the car in for will not be covered under my warranty. I asked why not? He says because my AC system has been over pressurized and there is also too much oil in the AC system. He claims that I or someone else overfilled my AC system.........

I told that that was bogus and I have never even touched the AC system nor have I took the car anywhere else for that reason. I bought the car from them 2 months ago and bought it CPO for that reason.

SA then said the techs took measurements of the pressure and the amount of oil that was in the system and said it was way over tolerance to have been done previously by BMW, so it had to have happened while in my possession.

He then proceeds to tell me that at the moment there is a $300 bill for the diagnosing and another $150 to have the system recharged. Then they will check to make sure it is operating properly. If not, there will be more parts and labor?!?!?!?

This is bull shit!

Is there any leverage for this? I have always had great service from this dealer. I cant even think of a way that I can prove that this wasn't caused by something I did.

NEED OPINIONS. The car should be ready to be picked up in the next hour or so..

-Nick
To add to this nightmare. On the drive home from the dealership I noticed my steering wheel is not straight when driving in a straight line. It's off kilter to the left about 10 degrees or so. I called the SA and told him immediately. He told me that my car had only be road tested for less than a mile and didnt see how it could have possibly been from their road test. I almost laughed when he said that. I guess a car can't be driven in to a pot hole in honolulu when driven under a mile or less (sarcasm). He said he would call me in Tuesday to see if the SM would offer a courtesie alignment. We'll see, I'm not holding my breath.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #21
IntegraXTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY08 E92 M3 and MY15 F80 M3

Notify BMW NA asap! I have seen techs drive the cars hard (I live by BMW Honolulu). I hope you have sorted things out. With all this negativity with the dealership and since I'm out of warranty already, I'm totally going to go to BME.

Best of luck to you!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #22
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toy

Garage List
Exclamation 08/20/13 Service Experience

This note was sent to my SA and Service Director;

Went to pick up my car for a warranty repair. Took my keys from Vernon and went to my car.

As always, I did a walk around of the vehicle to check for any damages.
Mind you, I have never had an issue prior to this and I’ve been a customer since 2002.

I notice some damage on my rear bumper and tail pipe.

I call Vernon over to verify the damage, which was evident since there was cement chips in the exhaust pipe and you could see the circular impact point on the cement post.

There was also a gouge in the paint near the point of initial impact, not sure if it was caused the first time with the exhaust or a second attempt at reversing.

Vernon called for Mark the manager who is responsible for the lot attendants. He looks at the damage and confirms the report of “lot damage.” The Mark then fetches the specific lot attendant who parked the car. The manager and lot attendant apologize for the damage and inconvenience.

While all four of us are standing behind the car near the cement post (Vernon, Mark, lot attendant and myself,) Vernon says, don’t worry, we will take care of it.

At this point it was no big deal. I told the lot attendant, not to worry, accidents happen. I told Mark, thank you for your help. I shook Vernon’s hand and I was driving out. At the stop sign in the parking lot, Mark runs out to show me the vehicle walk around at time of check in. He says that the damage was there upon arrival.

Now I was getting upset. I reversed and park to search for Vernon because for all I know Mark could have marked the paper at the last minute with “damage.”

While arguing with Mark he states, “If any of my guys hit anything they report it to me immediately. If they do not, they are suspended.” Well, the cement in the exhaust was proof that the car was hit and he was not aware. He then had the audacity to deny the fact that my car was hit on
the premises.

Vernon did his job, always excellent. The lot attendant made a simple mistake, which was accident but not reported to his boss. Mark, however, was very rude, condescending, raised his voice and seemed to have little concern with the damage. I asked to speak to his superior and he said that he was the boss. I asked what about Mike? His reply was, “No, he’s the parts and service director. I make the call.”

I did not bring this up with Rocco, Terrence, Tim or Jim as I understand that this a service issue. But I will be forced to meet with Dennis if this matter is not addressed and attended to in a timely matter.

I do not want money, nor do I want the lot attendant to be suspended, as it was an accident. It’s too late for an formal and second apology from the manager, however, I my bumper needs to be fixed and I will need a car to drive for the duration of the repair. Please also check to see if any internal or underbody damage was caused with the force of impact on the BMW M Performance exhaust.

End.

Accountability is a BIG thing for me. If Mark had not come back, denying with attitude, I would have been ok as it stood. But since he was a "dick" and was not accountable, I became furious.

While fustrating, everyone but Mark, was professional, helpful and took accountability. Spoke with Mike this morning and they are going to fix the bumper and inspect the exhaust system.

I would never believe that BMW would be shady. Rather, Mark, is what makes BMW of Honolulu, shady.

Thank you to Vernon and Mike for your professionalism and diligence.
Attached Images

Sold - 2003 E46 M3 LSB SMG
Appreciate 0