E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > GIAC flash when selling car

03-23-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
twinship
Booosted
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
GIAC flash when selling car

Thinking seriously about getting the GIAC flash within the next few months.

I've read most of the posts and reviews, and like what I've read. What I haven't seen discussed is the following question: When you sell the car, can you sell the GIAC flash to someone else?

Obviously that's pretty straightforward with the piggyback tunes. Not sure with a flash.

Anyone know...?
2008 BMW 335i//Jet Black on Black Dakota Leather//Steptronic, Sport Package, Premium Package, Logic7 Sound, Aluminum Trim, iPOD & USB, Cobb S1+ Sport, ER FMIC, ER CP, K&N Filter, H&R Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, ECS Tuning spacers (F-10mm/R-15mm), Akebono pads, OEM Rear Aero Spoiler, OEM Sport Diffusor, Cyba 3.8" Tips, OEM Aluminum Pedals, M-tech Steering Wheel, Clear Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

well if the flash is still on the car then i don't see how you're not selling it to them

but anyone with a brain wouldn't buy a tuned car...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 11:45 PM   #3
twinship
Booosted
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
well if the flash is still on the car then i don't see how you're not selling it to them

but anyone with a brain wouldn't buy a tuned car...
Agreed, wouldn't want to sell the car w/ flash for exactly that reason.

So could I put my car back to stock and sell the flash to someone else? GIAC is coming out w/ a flash loader that is supposed to make it easier to switch back and forth between the tune and stock, so I'd assume you could use it to flash someone else's car, if they purchased your tune. Guess that's my question: is that possible.
2008 BMW 335i//Jet Black on Black Dakota Leather//Steptronic, Sport Package, Premium Package, Logic7 Sound, Aluminum Trim, iPOD & USB, Cobb S1+ Sport, ER FMIC, ER CP, K&N Filter, H&R Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, ECS Tuning spacers (F-10mm/R-15mm), Akebono pads, OEM Rear Aero Spoiler, OEM Sport Diffusor, Cyba 3.8" Tips, OEM Aluminum Pedals, M-tech Steering Wheel, Clear Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

No, the flash is locked to one VIN. There's no resale value for GIAC except for the time you had it on your car and mashed it. To me, that's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 12:11 AM   #5
twinship
Booosted
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisstik View Post
No, the flash is locked to one VIN. There's no resale value for GIAC except for the time you had it on your car and mashed it. To me, that's worth it.
Thx, that's what I was looking for.

So the $800 can never be recovered...

It may be worth it, but it's definitely an argument in favor of a piggyback. It forces me to think long and hard about how long I'll keep the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 01:27 AM   #6
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

well lets say you bought a piggy 2 years ago for over 1000 Dollars. what do you think the reselling value of that outdated piggy is now? 100 bucks?
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 02:07 AM   #7
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

The only flash I've heard of actually having a resale value is Dinan when selling to those who love the idea of dealership added power
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
twinship
Booosted
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
well lets say you bought a piggy 2 years ago for over 1000 Dollars. what do you think the reselling value of that outdated piggy is now? 100 bucks?
That's true.

It's just unfortunate that you can recoup some of the cost of most mods by putting the car back to stock when you sell it (or return a leased car). You won't get full value when you sell your FMIC or aftermarket exhaust, but you'll get something.

With the flash, nada!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
bahn stormer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT, 65 MGB

I sold my VW with a GIAC flash on it. I sold it on VWVortex forums, so I found another enthusiast that appreciated having it. I don't think it added any real value other than giving my car an edge on others he looked at.

I had PUMP and STOCK tunes loaded and could switch back and forth with the free GIAC Software Switcher download and a $12 E-bay OBDII / USB cable. This is an alternative to the $150 switcher.

Anyway, the flash is not transferable to another vehicle. The alternative is flashing back to stock before sale or trade in.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #10
twinship
Booosted
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahn stormer View Post
Anyway, the flash is not transferable to another vehicle. The alternative is flashing back to stock before sale or trade in.
Because most car buyers are leery of modded cars -- rightly -- I'd probably flash back to stock before selling.

Just seems sad...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinship View Post
Because most car buyers are leery of modded cars -- rightly -- I'd probably flash back to stock before selling.

Just seems sad...
Because of this, you will lose a lot of resale value. Your best bet is to sell it to someone on the forums looking for a used car, but doing a trade in or private sell will screw you.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 08:37 AM   #12
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

It could go either way. Some buyers would clearly not want it and others would. You just need to find the right buyer. I have stage 1 but I drive my car fairly conservatively and never beat on it and have a friend in the same boat. I didn't get the tune to go racing - I just like the extra power that I can feel when I'm driving fairly normally. Just because a car has 400hp doesn't automatically mean it will be abused. Whether or not a potential buyer believes me is another story but I'm sure there would be some buyers out there who would rather I leave the tune and maybe even pay a few extra bucks because it's there. Just imagine the guy who's looking for a 335, test drives a few in stock form, and then drives one with a GIAC tune that looks perfect and well taken care of and feels that extra, factory smooth power...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
twinship
Booosted
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
It could go either way. Some buyers would clearly not want it and others would. You just need to find the right buyer. I have stage 1 but I drive my car fairly conservatively and never beat on it and have a friend in the same boat. I didn't get the tune to go racing - I just like the extra power that I can feel when I'm driving fairly normally. Just because a car has 400hp doesn't automatically mean it will be abused. Whether or not a potential buyer believes me is another story but I'm sure there would be some buyers out there who would rather I leave the tune and maybe even pay a few extra bucks because it's there. Just imagine the guy who's looking for a 335, test drives a few in stock form, and then drives one with a GIAC tune that looks perfect and well taken care of and feels that extra, factory smooth power...
You might luck out and find a buyer who wants your mods.

But the great majority want to start with an unmodded car, preferably a grocery-getter driven by a little old lady, and add their own mods.

Modding is a money pit. It's an unfortunate fact of life.
Appreciate 0