E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Upgrade Stock Brakes?

08-22-2011, 03:54 AM   #1
nkadisha
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 335

Upgrade Stock Brakes?

I'm looking to improve the brakes on my 335i without going for the BBK. I need something I can live with on the street but also have something that will preform well on the track. Anybody with experience with upgraded pads and rotors? Opinons on brands and where to order appreciated
      08-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
triggz
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

i changed my stock pads to HAWK race pads and they grip really well once heated up and no brake dust
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
turugara
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe, 6 Speed

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.44]
I'm in the same boat. I've got the Hawk hps + motul 600 brake fluid + stoptech SS brake lines and they are completely gone after a 10 minute session on the track.

I'm looking at Racing Brake rotors
http://hpashop.com/product.sc?produc...categoryId=188

+ a few different brake pads
Cobalt XR3
PFC-01
or
Hawk HT-10's.

I'm probably going to be changing out the pads for the track days. Will have to be getting good at doing that.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
turugara
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.44]
Chk this article out. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416943
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
EAS
Rep
Drives: VF620 M3

We have the Cool Carbon brake pads with Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake lines available for your 335i:

OE Performance Brake Upgrade Kit - e9x 335i

We've run Cool Carbon brake pads on many of our shop cars and they have performed phenomenally on and off the track.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
nkadisha
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggz View Post
i changed my stock pads to HAWK race pads and they grip really well once heated up and no brake dust

Which hawk option did you go for?
      08-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
nkadisha
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turugara View Post
I'm in the same boat. I've got the Hawk hps + motul 600 brake fluid + stoptech SS brake lines and they are completely gone after a 10 minute session on the track.

I'm looking at Racing Brake rotors
http://hpashop.com/product.sc?produc...categoryId=188

+ a few different brake pads
Cobalt XR3
PFC-01
or
Hawk HT-10's.

I'm probably going to be changing out the pads for the track days. Will have to be getting good at doing that.

Reading that article just made everything so much harder lol

I can't really switch out the pads before the track, you think that if I got the hawk HPS pads with some good rotors it'll hold up on the track? Is the brake fluid and the SS lines just as necessary? Thanks for the info man, appreciate it
      08-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
nkadisha
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david @ eas View Post
We have the Cool Carbon brake pads with Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake lines available for your 335i:

OE Performance Brake Upgrade Kit - e9x 335i

We've run Cool Carbon brake pads on many of our shop cars and they have performed phenomenally on and off the track.
Can you PM me a price for that entire set-up? (CC Pads with SS Brake Lines)

Do you recommend any rotors that would be good for both street and track?
      08-22-2011, 10:18 PM   #9
turugara
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkadisha View Post
Reading that article just made everything so much harder lol

I can't really switch out the pads before the track, you think that if I got the hawk HPS pads with some good rotors it'll hold up on the track? Is the brake fluid and the SS lines just as necessary? Thanks for the info man, appreciate it
The fluid is necessary for sure. The stock brake fluid will boil very quickly on the track and that will result in your brakes fading. The rubber lines are not as necessary if your vehicle is rather new. If your lines are very old, the SS lines are a great replacement and will help you get the most out of your fluid and brakes.

If you get the HPS lines and the racing brake rotors, I think you'll be ok in your first few track days if your not too aggressive. They will probably fade towards the end of the session and you'll just have to nurse them. If your going for some serious track use you'll most likely have to upgrade to a compound that can take higher heat. My Hawk HPS on stock rotors with Motul 600 and stoptech SS brake lines faded quickly into a 10 minute session at NJMP Lightning. There's a long straightaway where you can reach speeds of 120+ so I guess that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #10
nkadisha
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The fluid is necessary for sure. The stock brake fluid will boil very quickly on the track and that will result in your brakes fading. The rubber lines are not as necessary if your vehicle is rather new. If your lines are very old, the SS lines are a great replacement and will help you get the most out of your fluid and brakes.

If you get the HPS lines and the racing brake rotors, I think you'll be ok in your first few track days if your not too aggressive. They will probably fade towards the end of the session and you'll just have to nurse them. If your going for some serious track use you'll most likely have to upgrade to a compound that can take higher heat. My Hawk HPS on stock rotors with Motul 600 and stoptech SS brake lines faded quickly into a 10 minute session at NJMP Lightning. There's a long straightaway where you can reach speeds of 120+ so I guess that makes sense.

I guess I'm going to go for the Hawk HPS Pads and I'll try to get some opinions are some good rotors, they seem to be the most popular choice in pads. Thanks for the advice man
      08-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
My Hawk HPS on stock rotors with Motul 600 and stoptech SS brake lines faded quickly into a 10 minute session at NJMP Lightning. There's a long straightaway where you can reach speeds of 120+ so I guess that makes sense.
The HPS is not a track pad, it will fade within a few laps if you're intermediate or advanced. I'm running both PFC01 and DTC70s at the track and neither fade at 30 minute sessions. They cannot be driven at the street though, they're true track pads. They also eat rotors so have spares handy.

To the OP, HPS may be a good compromise of street + beginner-type track pad. Beyond that, you'll need a set of street pads/rotors and another for the track. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #12
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

FYI, I love my Cool Carbon pads....but DO NOT track with them! I had the worst shudder I have ever expierenced in my life. It scared me so much I had to pit early on every session. I was not the only CC pad user that day experience this issue. If you do not plan on tracking the car....they are quite possibly the perfect street pad

Check out Racing Brake 2-peice floating rotors from HP Auto, they are a good choice if you don't want to spend the $$$ on BBK's.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
EAS
Rep
Drives: VF620 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
FYI, I love my Cool Carbon pads....but DO NOT track with them! I had the worst shudder I have ever expierenced in my life. It scared me so much I had to pit early on every session. I was not the only CC pad user that day experience this issue. If you do not plan on tracking the car....they are quite possibly the perfect street pad

Check out Racing Brake 2-peice floating rotors from HP Auto, they are a good choice if you don't want to spend the $$$ on BBK's.
The shudder mentioned is likely due to excess material transfer in a localized area on the rotor surface. This can be caused by allowing abs to activate during bedding or not allowing hot brakes to cool sufficiently during the bedding cycles or during track events. This may require re-bedding to eliminate; or possibly application of Brake Kleen with green ScotchBrite pads on the rotor surface.

http://www.coolcarbonperformance.com/bedding.html

We run these pads both on the street and on the track without issue and love them!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #14
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Pads were bedded properly, however, you cannot deactivate ABS in our cars.

The track I was at is very fast, hot, and lots of high speed stopping. Any pad with the word "Street" in it would not be good enough. I'll see how they hold up at Infineon where it's slower and cooler outside. Again, the product is great for everyday and light track use, but were sketchy in multiple cars that day at the track. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #15
nkadisha
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Guys what rotors should I look at? I decided on the Hawk HPS Pads
      08-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #16
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkadisha View Post
Guys what rotors should I look at? I decided on the Hawk HPS Pads
Racing Brake 2-Peice Floating Rotors:

http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc;js...categoryId=109
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #17
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

simple Centric rotors from Tirerack will do just fine.

No dimples, no slots, no drilled holes!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #18
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:

This plus hawk DTC-70 pads will be awesome for the track. Hardly any dust and they last a lot longer than you might think. I have the DTC-70s on my car now and it's not horrible on the street. They do squeak but it's not super loud although it's not subtle either. Normal braking doesn't require any warm up but you'll notice a delay in braking when they're cold and you need to stop in a hurry. Basically you can put these on and drive on the street to your track day. I recommend swapping pads when you go to the track. They're not that hard to swap.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 04:34 AM   #19
nkadisha
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

How are the stoptech slotted rotors?
      08-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #20
triggz
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:

do i understand correctly

$1800 for 4 rotors? that's a pretty penny
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #21
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggz View Post
do i understand correctly

$1800 for 4 rotors? that's a pretty penny
Those last MUCH longer than anything else and will take some serious abuse.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0