E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > CIC Europe West Premium 2017-2 maps

05-08-2017, 04:21 PM   #23
angry_feet
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 MSport

Thanks so much for helping me and all the info.

The map version I have is attached. I do have the tick and the i. I will give it a go installing the maps. I just tried my removable hard drive but it wont recognise it, i think its because its not fat32 and ntsc or what ever. So i am going to try using my phone tomorrow as a bootable usb as i dont have a usb big enough.

I will have to look into how i can update the firmware via usb, i thought it was an obd job. I would like full postcode entry.

The same guy on ebay will also sell me a lifetime FSC code for £25 which I think is fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided1 View Post
did a quick search and found this:
"If your vehicle was built between 09/2009-03/2010, you will need a firmware update to update using any method (USB or DVD) due to a bug in the firmware. You are welcome to try, however the update will most likely fail at 93.7% and abort updating.

If you vehicle was built before 09/2009, you can only use the DVD version of the update to load the maps into your vehicle unless your vehicle firmware has been updated by a dealer sometime past 03/2010. Then you can use the USB version if you wanted."

7 digit postcode also requires a newer firmware...

Ps if you have the 'tick' in bottom left of the nav screen like this picture that should mean you have new enough firmware to get the update...
http://alekshop.com/images/cache/7c7...272f0b28e6.jpg
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 04:40 PM   #24
undecided1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport

ok, I think the 'tick and i' is what shows if firmware is new enough, maybe bmw software updated the car at some point? certainly give it a go. Ps the 7 digit post code is part of the map, if firmware is new enough it will just work. If car is under any sort of warranty don't go for a lifetime code, if not bothered about warranty issues then lifetime will certainly make it easier in future.

Lastly, go get yourself a decent USB stick for this update, will not work unless stick is formatted as FAT32. Trying to load it off a phone just sounds like a recipe for problems, a 32GB USB stick can be bought for tiny amounts these days (even argos sell 32gb sticks for less than £12, even cheaper elsewhere) and will make life so much easier for you... So cheap I have a kingston USB3 32gb stick formatted as fat32 that I just keep ready for map updates!

Last edited by undecided1; 05-08-2017 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 05:14 PM   #25
angry_feet
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
ok, I think the 'tick and i' is what shows if firmware is new enough, maybe bmw software updated the car at some point? certainly give it a go. Ps the 7 digit post code is part of the map, if firmware is new enough it will just work. If car is under any sort of warranty don't go for a lifetime code, if not bothered about warranty issues then lifetime will certainly make it easier in future.

Lastly, go get yourself a decent USB stick for this update, will not work unless stick is formatted as FAT32. Trying to load it off a phone just sounds like a recipe for problems, a 32GB USB stick can be bought for tiny amounts these days (even argos sell 32gb sticks for less than £12, even cheaper elsewhere) and will make life so much easier for you... So cheap I have a kingston USB3 32gb stick formatted as fat32 that I just keep ready for map updates!
Brilliant thank you. No my warranty is long gone lol so lifetime one is good for me and USB is a good idea for future updates. I have ordered a Kingston USB 3 32gb. Should do the job.

Now I just need the fsc code.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 07:53 AM   #26
Dr-Jon
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 23i Z4

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN15H View Post
You will need the fsc code for your idrive to upload these maps as I understand it.

You can get this code yourself by following the steps in this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1154524
well just to let you all know this does work I just created my code in my lunch break its take quick and easy.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 08:11 AM   #27
undecided1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr-Jon View Post
well just to let you all know this does work I just created my code in my lunch break its take quick and easy.
Agreed, it looks like a 'scary' process that's likely to go wrong but in reality if you take your time it's really not difficult. Takes a few minutes first time but do it once and it's just seconds for future map codes. Whichever way you go though I'd recommend getting these 2017-2 maps loaded, the lane guidance is a nice added bonus. I had a new CIC unit fitted a few months ago that took me back to 2013-1 maps and it was painful, so many missing roads it was barely usable! Pity the guy with the 2008-2 maps and just glad he looks to be OK for the map update to load OK, current maps turn the nav from worthless to usable, essential for anyone with nav
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 01:17 PM   #28
angry_feet
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Im just waiting on my USB and fsc code. I would do the process in the link for the fsc but all I have is an obd to USB adaptor.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 03:16 PM   #29
undecided1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_feet View Post
Im just waiting on my USB and fsc code. I would do the process in the link for the fsc but all I have is an obd to USB adaptor.
you might find you're missing the required cabling to obd port anyway if it's an older car, in your case probably easier to just buy a code especially if not worried about warranty issues. With a lifetime code it should just accept the map updates without needing to type in a long code every time to make life easier.
Ps as much as I highly recommend the method to get file from CIC and generate own codes whenever needed I can understand the argument for just buying the codes from someone especially if an older car where that method may not work. Pick whichever method you prefer but I do think map updates make a lot of sense for such little expenditure, shocking just how many roads have changed even from my old 2013 maps. Personally it made financial sense to follow the easy instructions and do my own codes whenever new maps come out, plus I like the sense of achievement from doing this sort of thing myself :)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 03:16 PM   #30
billyboym3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D

I've got the 2016 maps, and even these are so out of date already, can't wait to get the 17 maps installed, Thanks ~
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 04:25 PM   #31
angry_feet
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

OK thank you for all your help undecided1.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #32
angry_feet
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok so iv got the USB now, got the FSC code and loaded the map torrent onto the usb but when i plug it into the cars usb in the glove box i get nothing, any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #33
angry_feet
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Forget that im being a pleb and forgot i didn't have any extraction software installed and didn't realise the torrent was a zip file. It all makes sense now lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #34
undecided1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Forget that im being a pleb and forgot i didn't have any extraction software installed and didn't realise the torrent was a zip file. It all makes sense now lol.
check inside the torrent and there's an instructions file, need to make sure the right folders are right at the root of the USB stick (ie right at the top level, not in a folder), can't just copy the extracted zip files to the stick as I think they're inside a folder once zip extracted... ps zip file (if I remember it's actually a .7z file so get 7zip installed if required) will take quite a long time to unzip and a long time to copy to usb stick as well, worth it though. loading map to the car took around 40ish mins. Ps once loaded to car you will NOT see map version listed in the nav options screen, will just show a blank page, nothing to worry about - will fix itself and display correctly after a while, maps will work fine as soon as update done. Can take 5-10 seconds once plugged in before car notices the update, make sure you use usb in the glove box not centre console
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 01:38 PM   #35
angry_feet
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Got it working now thanks but now it keeps telling me the activation code is incorrect FML. Iv got a proper certificate from BMW and everything. Iv messaged the seller just waiting to see what he says, why is nothing ever simple lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #36
undecided1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Got it working now thanks but now it keeps telling me the activation code is incorrect FML. Iv got a proper certificate from BMW and everything. Iv messaged the seller just waiting to see what he says, why is nothing ever simple lol.
Not sure what you mean by the certificate from bmw. See what they say first, may have just made a mistake generating the code?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #37
angry_feet
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Yer they must have. I got a second code and its installing now so all good by the looks of it. What he has sent me looks like a proper bmw fsc code certificate. Unless it's one he has made.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 04:43 PM   #38
angry_feet
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

OK its all loaded on, all seems to be working and I have full postcode without firmware update FINALLY! lol. Thanks for all your help undecided1.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 05:24 PM   #39
undecided1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yer they must have. I got a second code and its installing now so all good by the looks of it. What he has sent me looks like a proper bmw fsc code certificate. Unless it's one he has made.
From what I've read on here it's not possible to get a map code straight from the VIN and anyone who can actually just has access to ASAP where they can download the files that you could take from your CIC and then they do the same process as you would have been to get a map code, sounds likely they rushed it and had to redo the steps/certificate is something they created - the fact the code was wrong first time certainly seems to support that reasoning...

Quote:
OK its all loaded on, all seems to be working and I have full postcode without firmware update FINALLY! lol. Thanks for all your help undecided1.
Great! I'd kind of made it my mission to get you sorted, I remember the pain of having 2013 maps for a few days recently after my CIC unit was repaired and it's not nice, the idea of having 9 year old maps sounds terrible, glad I managed to help in some small way to get you updated :) As soon as you said you had the "tick on i" in the map screen it definitely sounded like someone had updated the firmware to a sufficient level to allow maps to load, that they loaded OK just proves that. If you got a lifetime code I think you just slot in the USB of new maps from now on and it just loads them with no code required screen...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 03:50 AM   #40
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
From what I've read on here it's not possible to get a map code straight from the VIN and anyone who can actually just has access to ASAP where they can download the files that you could take from your CIC and then they do the same process as you would have been to get a map code, sounds likely they rushed it and had to redo the steps/certificate is something they created - the fact the code was wrong first time certainly seems to support that reasoning...
I'm curious to this too. There are a lot of people giving free codes and saying they can generate them with FSTOOL from VIN alone. There is a lot of broken English on such forums though and I wonder if they are just lying.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 10:18 AM   #41
Scorpio E90
Rep
Drives: BMW 318 M Sport

Garage List
My 2009 318 didn't come with the idrive, it was retrofitted by the previous owner. It was a 2010 map as you can see from the pic. I recently did the 2017-2 update.

The problem I had was getting the vin code for the nav, my vin wasn't a match as it was a retrofit. My update was on one USB but it had to be a 32gb stick. I did need a fsc code but that was provided once I was able to pull the correct vin code from the navigation system

Install took about 15 - 20 mins

For UK maps you need Europe West... NOT Europe East
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 07:56 AM   #42
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
You'd need to speak to someone who does coding, I'm just repeating things I've read on here but if I had to guess I think you'd still run into issues with the 3xUSB version though.

Wasn't expecting any feature upgrades but the 2017-2 maps actually come with proper lane guidance for each turn now which is a welcome bonus I always have the split screen on with turn by turn directions shown when navigating, now get lane guidance at the bottom for every turn where there is more than one lane, that wasn't there in 2017-1! For example:

How is that feature enabled mate? I updated last week, but not tested fully yet.

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #43
undecided1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfj1 View Post
How is that feature enabled mate? I updated last week, but not tested fully yet.
hi, nothing to do to enable it, you just get it as part of 2017-2. I always have my nav on split screen with turn by turn instructions on the right side - this is where the lane guidance stuff appears/distance to next turn/what exit to take on roundabout etc - if you're using the nav it's so much easier to navigate when setup like this (the lane guidance isn't perfect, I've found a few places where I know it's wrong but far better than nothing if unsure of the area). when not using nav/no route planned it shows map co-ordinates, I have one of the 1-8 buttons set to switch between split screen modes so that's an option if you only want it shown when using nav... that said if I'm not using the nav/making a phone call I just use button 8 to turn the screen off altogether! The large bright screen up near the windscreen is very distracting and better turned off unless using nav, especially when dark (even on lowest brightness at night it's far brighter than it needs to be)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 12:45 PM   #44
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfj1 View Post
Quote:
You'd need to speak to someone who does coding, I'm just repeating things I've read on here but if I had to guess I think you'd still run into issues with the 3xUSB version though.

Wasn't expecting any feature upgrades but the 2017-2 maps actually come with proper lane guidance for each turn now which is a welcome bonus I always have the split screen on with turn by turn directions shown when navigating, now get lane guidance at the bottom for every turn where there is more than one lane, that wasn't there in 2017-1! For example:

I've have lane guidance on motorways which I'm pretty sure I had with the 2017-1 maps but I've not seen this type of guidance.

Could you post a screen shot of your settings?
Appreciate 0