E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DMS remap on 325d

04-13-2008, 06:04 PM   #67
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 4.8is, Lambo Gallardo

Nope, just a 600, you dont need anything bigger until you can outride it!

Oh, sorry Scooba, but:
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 12:55 AM   #68
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Jacked my thread

No problem .I am even more confused after this last bit .To confirm my e90 is the 325d ed 2008 spec with auto and the paddel shift box is this mappable ? .my chassis number if it helps is vd75612
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 01:01 AM   #69
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325dM Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant397 View Post
And whoever quoted 600Nm on a simple remap from a 325d is talking Sh!te by the way. You can ignore that figure and forget it was ever mentioned my friend, 450-500Nm is the figure to work from.

Torque in Nm or Ft Lb's is only a calculated figure anyway and cant be measured directly. It is also worth noting that your engine will only produce its max torque figure at around 2,000 to 2,500rpms depending on the map.
I dont know whats your problem Ant, Its a fact that a 325d have the same chiptuning potential as the 330d if you have detailed knowledge about the map.
Hartge does it, ESSTUNING does it.

You are the one talking Sh!te, thats also a fact. Stop it.

And how can you say torque is worth nothing? It gives great driveability.

Last edited by dagjohnsen; 04-21-2008 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 01:13 AM   #70
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba0010 View Post
No problem .I am even more confused after this last bit .To confirm my e90 is the 325d ed 2008 spec with auto and the paddel shift box is this mappable ? .my chassis number if it helps is vd75612
You should call ESSTUNING at +4741558555.
They can give you the map you want, if you want 290 horsepower they can do it easily. If you want 240 horsepower they can do that to.
But remember your car will dyno 218 horsepower right now, so I dont really see the point in doing a remap to get only 20 hp more, since you will loose your warranty.

Talk to them, they have extreme knowledge about your car and what it can handle regarding torque with your autobox. Remember they need to know these things since they are designing and producing the most advanced supercharged kits for petrol BMWs. They made the engine mods for the supercharged swedish LOADED E46 M3 CSL that did the Nurburgring in 7.22,6!

They have a UK distributor called Simpson. Talk to them, it will be interesting for you to make that call!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 02:33 AM   #71
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagjohnsen View Post
I dont know whats your problem Ant, Its a fact that a 325d have the same chiptuning potential as the 330d if you have detailed knowledge about the map.
Hartge does it, ESSTUNING does it.

You are the one talking Sh!te, thats also a fact. Stop it.

And how can you say torque is worth nothing? It gives great driveability, a manual 325d can have 660 NM @ 2700 rpm, that feels good
Im afraid there is no sh!te from me good buddy.

And as I said, you cant measure torque directly, it is a calculated figure from the hp figure that has to have a spot on rpm measurement to achieve a sound reliable torque figure. And I know what it takes to get the correct rpm figure from a diesel. And I know what realistic torque you can get from a simple re-map.

I never for one minute said torque was worth nothing, did I? You talking sh!te again?

Anyway, I personaly know that from our experience a 325d with 290 bhp and 660nm torque is going to be a problem waiting to happen. If they are so well up on these things, how many cars have they bought and run themselves? How many shake down tests have they done on these cars, customer or their own for them to say it will be fine still in 20,000 miles? Simple questions.

I can tell you now, that yes the turbo is the same, but not the injectors, auto gearbox, fuel rail, DME control unit, cylinder head, the intake valves are smaller, it also doesnt have a vaccum intake manifold. Do you really think BMW would just change a badge and make the 325d the bargain of the century.

They have altered the intake, fuel supply and gearbox to accomodate for the reduced power. If anybody did increase the fueling to 330d levels I can guarantee you that the end of the injectors would start to fail first with the increased demand and they are not cheap at around £250 a piece. Its also the first tell tale warning that a car has been mapped excessivley by the way when anyone in the know see's it.

But enough of my sh!te, what do I know!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #72
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Im afraid there is no sh!te from me good buddy.

And as I said, you cant measure torque directly, it is a calculated figure from the hp figure that has to have a spot on rpm measurement to achieve a sound reliable torque figure. And I know what it takes to get the correct rpm figure from a diesel. And I know what realistic torque you can get from a simple re-map.

I never for one minute said torque was worth nothing, did I? You talking sh!te again?

Anyway, I personaly know that from our experience a 325d with 290 bhp and 660nm torque is going to be a problem waiting to happen. If they are so well up on these things, how many cars have they bought and run themselves? How many shake down tests have they done on these cars, customer or their own for them to say it will be fine still in 20,000 miles? Simple questions.

I can tell you now, that yes the turbo is the same, but not the injectors, auto gearbox, fuel rail, DME control unit, cylinder head, the intake valves are smaller, it also doesnt have a vaccum intake manifold. Do you really think BMW would just change a badge and make the 325d the bargain of the century.

They have altered the intake, fuel supply and gearbox to accomodate for the reduced power. If anybody did increase the fueling to 330d levels I can guarantee you that the end of the injectors would start to fail first with the increased demand and they are not cheap at around £250 a piece. Its also the first tell tale warning that a car has been mapped excessivley by the way when anyone in the know see's it.

But enough of my sh!te, what do I know!
I`ll be back

With an answer of course, will check all the details you are mentioning and very curious about what I find. Seems like you are very certain, and if you are right I will bow for the master ant of tuning.

Just to put you in your place, you did say : It is also worth noting that your engine will only produce its max torque figure at around 2,000 to 2,500rpms depending on the map.

And you were also the gentleman starting so politely to use the word sh!te,
and in my books thats really an impressive way to address people

Im really wondering who knows best.........you are Hartge/ESStuning
It could be you ant, but I really hope its not!

Last edited by dagjohnsen; 04-21-2008 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #73
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I`ll be back

With an answer of course, will check all the details you are mentioning and very curious about what I find. Seems like you are very certain, and if you are right I will bow for the master ant of tuning.

By the way, the car is running very well so far, but of course that could suddenly change over time.

Just to put you in your place, you did say : It is also worth noting that your engine will only produce its max torque figure at around 2,000 to 2,500rpms depending on the map.

And you were also the gentleman starting so politely to use the word sh!te,
and in my books thats really an impressive way to address people

Im really wondering who knows best.........you are Hartge/ESStuning
It could be you ant, but I really hope its not!

Speak soon!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 09:01 AM   #74
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #75
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Let's pull up a chair and wait for the Viveration.

Reminds me of the old DSC/DTC thread.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 10:07 AM   #76
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Speak soon!
Are you in a hurry?

Im waiting to hear from Asbjørn at ESStuning, he is the one developing all the maps for both their supercharged cars and petrol/diesel maps.

he is in USA right now working but I think he will give me an answer during the night. Im very curious what he will say!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #77
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep

Personaly, I have all the time in the world, but I think others here are awating your response more!

Please feel free to verify what I have said, but yes, it may be possible to get 290bhp and 660Nm torque from a 325d with just a re-map, but myself and I also suspect most others here will think its pushing things a little far considering a number of parts are lower spec'd to the 330d ones, well actually quite important expensive parts to be precise. If your contact says that its fine to run a standard 325d with that power from a remap and I dont know anything, ill eat my hat I will.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 11:33 AM   #78
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep

One question in the mean time tho, what has ESS done to your car?

Dont tell me its your time bomb that has the quoted 290bhp & 660Nm!

It would sure explain why you want to prove me wrong so much!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 12:38 PM   #79
Nohedes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M-Sport (2008)

Great thread!!!

04-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #80
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Personaly, I have all the time in the world, but I think others here are awating your response more!

Please feel free to verify what I have said, but yes, it may be possible to get 290bhp and 660Nm torque from a 325d with just a re-map, but myself and I also suspect most others here will think its pushing things a little far considering a number of parts are lower spec'd to the 330d ones, well actually quite important expensive parts to be precise. If your contact says that its fine to run a standard 325d with that power from a remap and I dont know anything, ill eat my hat I will.

I think if anything its very good you warn people

Im a regular Ringer (Nurburgring Nordschleife driver) and the last thing I want is to take the bus home to Norway with a broken car standing in Germany.

If you sit with specific knowledge and experience from tuning 325d`s and have seen parts break because of tuning, I think it would be fair of you to share that information if you got it. Thats why we have a forum really

The 325d is my first diesel, so I dont know much about diesels yet, except they use a lot less fuel and have a very nice midrange punch. Would have preferred an equally powerful petrol engine though, but with the Norwegian tax system thats way to expensive for me. testing the diesel is very interesting though!
But I really look forward to get an answer from Esstuning regarding the details you mentioned, Im sure they will comment on each specific part mentioned.
Esstuning do buy a lot of cars to develop new maps and supercharger kits (with new maps of course), and they are one of the biggest suppliers in the world, selling a lot both in the US and Asia. They have specialized in the Lysholm twinscrew supercharger and have the exclusive right worldwide for aftermarket sales. (its the one used in Ford GT and AMG cars)This charger is very efficient in the whole range, and if you supercharge a E90 330i it will be clearly faster than a E46 M3. There is a lot of videos on Youtube showing this.
Ess are one of the few companies that have an improved map for the E60 M5, and the swedish M3 CSL from the magazine Loaded that set the incredible time of 7.22 point something at the Ring was tuned and mapped by ESS. Thats faster than a Carrera GT and the Zonda F, an old BMW with 4 seats (taken out of course) a big boot. Bolt on engine kit, KW suspention, Bolt on break kit and some weight reduction.
They also dyno all the cars they tune before and after tuning, and never takes credit for effect they did not create, like when a car do have more power than stated from the factory, they say plain out what it had.
And they put out real dynos on their webpage instead of some drawn fantasy curves, even Hartge does that!!!???
But according to them most BMWs are quite on par with factory claims, or maybe +10 hp. The 325d is one of the few cars they have tested putting out way more power than it is supposed to.

To me Esstuning seems very sincere and honest. I did supercharge a 520i once (ESS) from 154 to 230 horsepower, moved the limiter from 6500 to 7200 rpm.
Thats a huge increase in power (49%) and even after hard driving at the Ring and the autobahn I never had any trouble with the engine or drivetrain whatsoever, even if the 520i probably have small puny injectors, valves, cheap cylinderheads and so on.

I guess there are more people interested in deeper info regarding tuning and reliability.
Im looking forward to dig deeper into this matter
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #81
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep

Dig as far as you want my boy... Dont let me stop you.

But can you answer my questions now?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 12:53 PM   #82
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep

I know of 5 that I have asked you with no repsonse.

This cant be a one way thing you know.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #83
Nohedes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M-Sport (2008)

Quote:
Im a regular Ringer
      04-14-2008, 01:01 PM   #84
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I dont know much about engines, I leave it to BMW and tuners.
I will post the answer as soon as I get it from ESS, but as I said he is the US and will send it to me as soon as he can.
Tomorrow morning I will check my email at work, hope to give you some response tomorrow morning!

This is not a war Ant, we all have the same goal here, to have fun cars that are reliable.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #85
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohedes View Post

You can enjoy your BMW at the Ring more than anywhere else
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #86
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Dig as far as you want my boy... Dont let me stop you.

But can you answer my questions now?
Maybe Im way older than you, no reason to continue being semirude here
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 01:09 PM   #87
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I promise to get detailed answers for all your questions. And I will rather drive a stock car than a ticking timebomb, thats for sure.

Last edited by dagjohnsen; 04-21-2008 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #88
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep

War is the last thing on my mind, I have simply made my points and you seem to dissagree I think, but havent actualy told me where I am talking sh!te, please tell me. What have I said that you dont agree with?

I am also curious as to what ESS have done to your car, please tell us.
Appreciate 0