E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Run flat and 19" alloys issues on 320d

07-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
Captain Edward
Rep
Drives: 320d M sport E92

Run flat and 19" alloys issues on 320d

have had my 320d M for 10 months now, on 17k miles;have had numerous niggles, misbuilds, and an annoying engine flat spot and noise at idle. Three weeks ago capped it all. One of the 19" run flats went flat. Replaced at a cost of £300 ouch! My wife's Merc tyres on a B are only £80 each, as the Americans would say "do the math". However, the fitter pointed out that all the other three tyres were bald on the inner edge, obviously a tracking problem? Took it in to BMW dealer in H. Wycombe two days ago and they started arguing it was the British Roads and than helpfully pointed out that the two front alloys were bent and again down to the British Roads. Also the new offside rear was wearing down on the inside rim after only three weeks.

I have googled and found many many angry BMW customers with similar issues. I used to have Mercs and never had this problem or little else in 90k miles seriously questioning whether this car was the right decision.

I have not yet had the warranty discussions with my dealer but have these questions:

Has anybody out there in UK and wider had this issue, were the rims etc repaired/replaced under warranty or have you resorted to Court?

Why have BMW not come clean or at the very least advised customers that the 19" RFT combination are a problem on UK roads and potentially can become unsafe?

If I want to change alloys and tyres what are recommended, do not want RFT
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
There's a sticky on this subject here.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #3