E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DEPO projector90 upgrade DIY - work in progress

11-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #243
wmb0000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 328I

So the million dollar question is ...

Any idea on how to get rid of these errors we having? As much as I love the light but it will be really annoying hearing that beeping sound all the time with the light on. Also with this error, would it pass inspection?

I am ok with it if it pass inspection and if we can disable the beeping sound. I am getting the error.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #244
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i

You have different AE's, I have 60LED's in each ring, also DEPO. I still have error when switch is in OFF position and when on parking lot it will dissapear. So I run it on auto and no errors. I had used error cancellers from e-bay, $20 a pair. But it doesnt eliminate all errors.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #245
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

Wuchao, your lights look excellent!!

You can "break" the beep alarm off that is located under your steering column, it won't give you an error for doing that..and it won't stop the errors from the lights..but at least it would be silent. But that is the same beep for your doors and gas alarm, as well as for your seatbelts. I might do that if there is no alternative. The beeper could also be soldered back on before you sell the car, which is a 2 minute project at home.

I'm the type that would be highly embarrassed if all my BMW did was beep for my passengers.. It kinda degrades the "awe" that BMW inspires. Who's gonna say "I wanna Bimmer" when all they heard was a shitty chorus line that sounds like "beeppppppppppbeeeeeeeeppppppppBEEEEEPPPPP" haha.

With that said, I'm going to get a gargantuan case of beer and call some friends over to watch me install these today. (I already know they won't help, lol).

If I decide to snap off the beeper I'll post pics of it's location and how to solder it back on before you resell the vehicle.

EDIT: for the price we paid, the dead spots are worth it. Hardly noticable, everyone elses eyes will be glued to your awesome AE's
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #246
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdomPHD View Post

You can "break" the beep alarm off that is located under your steering column, it won't give you an error for doing that..and it won't stop the errors from the lights..but at least it would be silent. But that is the same beep for your doors and gas alarm, as well as for your seatbelts. I might do that if there is no alternative. The beeper could also be soldered back on before you sell the car, which is a 2 minute project at home.

I'm the type that would be highly embarrassed if all my BMW did was beep for my passengers.. It kinda degrades the "awe" that BMW inspires. Who's gonna say "I wanna Bimmer" when all they heard was a shitty chorus line that sounds like "beeppppppppppbeeeeeeeeppppppppBEEEEEPPPPP" haha.

With that said, I'm going to get a gargantuan case of beer and call some friends over to watch me install these today. (I already know they won't help, lol).

If I decide to snap off the beeper I'll post pics of it's location and how to solder it back on before you resell the vehicle.

EDIT: for the price we paid, the dead spots are worth it. Hardly noticable, everyone elses eyes will be glued to your awesome AE's
Good move. So no more beer run.... Well, good luck and post some pictures. Wuchao, they really look great. What a change, isn't it? Dead spots are the last think which bothers me. I'd like to set it up for AE's to be on as running lights and get rid of the error when the light switch id off. OP, maybe the cancelers behavie different way based on capacity, so we can find the happy solution. Anyway, enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #247
wuchao1
台北 台灣
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2004 MazdaSpeed Miata

THANKS guys!!!
Well yea the dead spot is not a problem at all to me.. I actually use it as a tool to see if both my headlights are working or not LOL.. anyway, OdomPHD, please post up some pictures when you get rid the alarm, thats great news cuz Im really getting annoyed by the beep now..
One more question is: how did you get the turn signal to work? I tried all the possible methods like twisting shaking the bulb hold but no good.. after I changed to the LED bulb I got long time ago from JleviSW the lights worked.. but still throwing out error and it still blink like its broken (blink twice as fast as normal), with regular bulbs the bulb will not lit at all... any suggestion??
Thanks guys!

2004 Mazda Speed Miata... Bone Stock...
2000 Ford Explorer... Beater all the way
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #248
wmb0000
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdomPHD View Post

Yeah please post pic.

Stopping the beeping sound would be the last solution if we all are unable to get rid of the error. Also I am not sure how we can pass inspection with the error kicking out like this. Visually the light work but there's error so I do not know how inspection doing to deal with that.

But beside that .. loving these AEs .. so much better than halogens
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #249
wuchao1
台北 台灣
Taiwan
Rep

Im not sure if I got it wrong or not.. but in my car it sounds like the beep is coming out from the speakers...

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #250
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep

So this time the entire install only took me an hour and fourty five minutes. This time there was no shake in either assembly, and having pre-tested both I popped them in.

-My blinker started going haywire like Wuchao's, so while I still had the bumper off I walked to the front of the car to see how quick it was blinking and WHOOPS no light at all (the turn signal on the side of the car was blinking)! Turns out the assembly wouldn't quite let the plastic piece that holds the turn signal bulb "snap" into place after a full rotation.

I, already in my "don't fkn try me" mood, took my razor knife to the bulb holder and shaved off the part that was causing it to hang up. Then it "snapped" into place upon rotating it and my blinker stopped blinking like crazy + the light came on (the blinker beside the AE's). That was really my only problem.. and the only solution I can offer Wuchao on how to stop his from going haywire.

As far as the error goes, I only get a car on a lift (in red) until I turn my high beams on which gives me a light out error. I only heard it beep one time, then I turned the music up. Music > Beep, so I don't know if it kept beeping or not (but it didn't ever dim my stereo, which was my main concern.)

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=chime <-- my reference. I've driven an E92 and an F10 that did kind of sound like it was coming out of the speakers. It's a softer noise than my E90 gives off.

I've tried to upload 2 times now, but both times failed. Gonna keep trying, they look great.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #251
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep

Here ya go! They don't look very bright at all...but take it from me... those 60 LEDs throw out a hell of a bright light. And I know the individual bulbs in the ring look a little weird in the pic, but they are superbly beautiful!

Also, the pic where it shows just the assembly with no lights on (taken from the side) is to show just how perfect a match the clear (as opposed to amber) plastic is compared to my silver paint. Very happy now, but I reserve judgment until a few weeks have passed lol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #252
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

Beautifull. Thanks for sharing. Mine are exactly like yours and as you had mentioned the light coming out from those AE's is amazing. Now we're happy. Just that error. I'm kind of lucky, I have E90 and no beeping here.
Are you planning to upgrade high beams for super brite halogen to match the AE's?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #253
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I have to get something to match. The HB is just TOO yellow now that I've got 8k HIDs. I LOVE SAYING THAT haha, good bye halogen!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #254
cbetlyon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi Jet Black/Black

Just ordered my set wiht 60 LEds per ring and 6000k HIDs lets hope for not so many errors. but
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #255
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbetlyon View Post
Just ordered my set wiht 60 LEds per ring and 6000k HIDs lets hope for not so many errors. but
You've got 07 328xi, you should have the same results as I had.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #256
cbetlyon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterba View Post
You've got 07 328xi, you should have the same results as I had.
well that unfortunate. does any one think its possible a dealership reprogramming could help to maybe re flash the car as if it had xenons?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 11:52 PM   #257
wuchao1
台北 台灣
Taiwan
Rep

Those 60 LED AE looks great!!! So, i spent some time in the afternoon trying to figure out what is wrong with me blinker.. It turned out that the headlight assembly does not have a good match to all the bulb holders, i tried to use the old bulb holder from my old headlights and one of them worked perfect, but other one I had to use the holder that came from with the DEPO headlights. So it like just matching all those plasic holders to the headlights and try to find one that can be taken by the headlight... So finally I have no more errors for turn signal and it blinks normally!! .

Cbetlyon: I did asked my dealer the first day if they can reprogram the car to get rid of the errors from the headlight, they said there's nothing they can do for me. Just hope ur dealer is nicer than mine lol

OdomPHD: its great to know u got ur lights working properly! And thanks for the diy link. Though I'm not so sure about taking apart my cluster... Not skilled enough to do so and I double checked again today that all the warning sound (beep) is coming out from the speakers.. So I guess there's really no luck for me then.. Thanks tho!

Loving these lights!

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 12:30 AM   #258
cbetlyon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

so if i under stand this right then you only get errors when your not in auto mode?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #259
wuchao1
台北 台灣
Taiwan
Rep

Well for my car (E90 06MD 325i), after I got the turn signal fixed, the only times I will have error is when my headlights(low beam) are on. Doesn't matter if it is in "auto" or "on" (right two click). As long as the HIDs are on then ill have error.

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #260
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

Hey, guys. I was going for beer today after work so I drove home at dark, (Just two beers) and the lights are amazing. I hope it will stay like this with no problems, I can eliminate the errors with switching the possition of the switch. I'm not very good at electronics but something tells me the capacitors are the problem. I mean the size of it. I will have time to research it while enjoing the lights nobody around has (yet).
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #261
wmb0000
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterba View Post
Hey, guys. I was going for beer today after work so I drove home at dark, (Just two beers) and the lights are amazing. I hope it will stay like this with no problems, I can eliminate the errors with switching the possition of the switch. I'm not very good at electronics but something tells me the capacitors are the problem. I mean the size of it. I will have time to research it while enjoing the lights nobody around has (yet).
Yeah it would be great that you can find the solution to our error problems

What suprise me though is no one have this issue before? It's hard to believe we are the only one with error issue
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #262
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmb0000 View Post
Yeah it would be great that you can find the solution to our error problems

What suprise me though is no one have this issue before? It's hard to believe we are the only one with error issue
They do. I think #1 problem is 60 LED's per ring. That is totaly different resistance than OBC is expecting. The ballasts are or should be adjusted by capacitors. Most people here have just regular AE's with 4 bulbs, that's why they are yellow, the latest upgrade is LED's like 6000 K, but still just four pieces per ring. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #263
cbetlyon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

has any one tried using jlevis's error cancelers with the depos with the 60 led rings?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 06:42 AM   #264
M-Auto
Rep
Drives: 325i E90 Euro

Anyone who had a solution on the low highbeams?
Appreciate 0