E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > B13 09 10 HPFP Recall - Tranny Reset?

08-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
Magic Man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Question B13 09 10 HPFP Recall - Tranny Reset?

Does anyone know for certain if this new programming for the HPFP problem resets the transmission's learning and/or changes any of the shifting profiles?

I had the recall done about a week ago and I swear the car is back to shifting poorly at slow speeds (hard shifts, i.e., the car bucks when shifting). My service advisor today swore that the recall didnt change anything having to do with the transmisison, but frankly I don't believe him.

Can anyone point me to anything official from BMW that shows the transmission programming was messed with as part of this recall?

Thank you so much.

BTW, my recept says the following:

PERFORM RECALL
0013950100 N54 DME Reprogram. B13 09 10 PER DCS
PERFORMED RECALL/SIB 13 09 10. PROGRAMMED VHICLE AS PER SIB
RESET AN INITIALIZED WINDOWS AND TPM. TESTED DR VEHICLE
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Typically they reprogram all the modules to the latest software on the car when it is being programmed - my 2008 had all the modules updated when the new software was applied a few weeks ago, which will reset adaptations.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post

I had the recall done about a week ago and I swear the car is back to shifting poorly at slow speeds (hard shifts, i.e., the car bucks when shifting). My service advisor today swore that the recall didnt change anything having to do with the transmisison, but frankly I don't believe him.
It may have just erased the "learning" it did to your driving style - while technically it's a "change" it's not like the transmission was programmed any different - just let it re-adapt to you and see how it performs
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

If they did the reprogram correctly, they reset EVERYTHING. However, reprogramming often fails in subtle ways -- if your trans is really acting weird, take it back to the dealer and have them check it. Might be a s/w conflict if the reprogram didn't get all the modules.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
treytreyfeva
Puro Pinche Party!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i TiAG

My 2007 E90 got recalled for this REPROGRAM (B13 09 10), and is in the shop this morning. I wasnt experiencing any long cranks though...I did get a service engine soon light which is why I took it in. I'll let you know if i notice any diff in the shifting profiles.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

If they program your car, they will bring ALL the car's firmwares to the latest software version. They have NO WAY to skip certain firmware upgrades (for example the transmission) while programming. My dealer took me to the programming department and showed me all the steps.

But luckily every programming generates a log with which modules needed programming. This is usually attached to the work order. You can ask this print from the dealer and you can check if the transmission module was programmed or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
Magic Man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by treytreyfeva View Post
My 2007 E90 got recalled for this REPROGRAM (B13 09 10), and is in the shop this morning. I wasnt experiencing any long cranks though...I did get a service engine soon light which is why I took it in. I'll let you know if i notice any diff in the shifting profiles.
Great. Let me know if you notice anything different. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #8
treytreyfeva
Puro Pinche Party!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i TiAG

Got it back yesterday, I noticed a big improvement in the crack time - It fires up really fast now. Didnt notice any changes in shifting profiles, but I was mainly on the freeway on my way home (~12 miles). As soon as i got home, i plugged in my JB+ and started her up, and I immediately got a "service engine soon" light on the dash... Do you think this is coincidence or could the new DME program have detected it? I'm going to call my SA and bring it in aain.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by treytreyfeva View Post
Got it back yesterday, I noticed a big improvement in the crack time - It fires up really fast now. Didnt notice any changes in shifting profiles, but I was mainly on the freeway on my way home (~12 miles). As soon as i got home, i plugged in my JB+ and started her up, and I immediately got a "service engine soon" light on the dash... Do you think this is coincidence or could the new DME program have detected it? I'm going to call my SA and bring it in aain.
No the DME doesn't "scan" for tunes just throws codes, but I would check the PNP harness you mite have missed a wire...
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 07:29 PM   #10
tres
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT

i had mine reprogrammed also and mine works fine the engine runs alot smoother trans is still the same notchy shifting
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #11
sal501
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
Does anyone know for certain if this new programming for the HPFP problem resets the transmission's learning and/or changes any of the shifting profiles?

Can anyone point me to anything official from BMW that shows the transmission programming was messed with as part of this recall?

Thank you so much.

BTW, my recept says the following:

PERFORM RECALL
0013950100 N54 DME Reprogram. B13 09 10 PER DCS
PERFORMED RECALL/SIB 13 09 10. PROGRAMMED VHICLE AS PER SIB
RESET AN INITIALIZED WINDOWS AND TPM. TESTED DR VEHICLE
How is the car's performance in the lower rpm range and lag?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #12
Magic Man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal501 View Post
How is the car's performance in the lower rpm range and lag?
The performance is fine, but the shifting is horrendous. It slams into gear and bucks and jerks.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 03:36 AM   #13
lizard1990
turbo+turbo=happiness
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E63 M6/FX35

i am just wondering why you named your self Magic man? you do some kind of tricks or something? just asking, cause myself doing some magic trick..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
princefemi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
If they program your car, they will bring ALL the car's firmwares to the latest software version. They have NO WAY to skip certain firmware upgrades (for example the transmission) while programming. My dealer took me to the programming department and showed me all the steps.

But luckily every programming generates a log with which modules needed programming. This is usually attached to the work order. You can ask this print from the dealer and you can check if the transmission module was programmed or not.

I too have the performance power kit installed on my car and am scheduled to get the B13 09 10 reprogram done on my car next week due to the current recall. I am concerned that the program upgrade will wipe away the performance upgrade software I paid so much money for. Have you had the recall performed on your car? If so, how was this task accomplished on your car? Did they first perform the upgrade and then reload the performance software on your car? When they returned your car to you how were you able to verify that the performance software had been reinstalled properly? Please any info on how to proceed with this issue would be helpful. I expressed my concerns to the SA and he told me that the recall software update would be accomplished first, and then the performance power kit software would be installed second. Does this sound right to you?
Thanks much for your anticipated assistance!