E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Executive MBA questions

07-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
561design
z4um Hooligan
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 3.0Si

Executive MBA questions

I've been thinking about extending my education once again. I already have a bach of industrial design and doing pretty well for myself with only 7 years experience. But I feel the need to push forward yet again and I feel I can do that easier with an MBA. During my research I had limited myself to schools in the Atlanta area that offered either an evening or executive MBA program. I had looked at Georgia Tech, UGA, Emory, Kennesaw State and Georgia State. I've been accepted into the Executive MBA program at Georgia State University. I choose their program over the others because of it's focus on current topics and international business.

Well, I found out today that my HR department will only sponsor me up to about $30k of the $52k to complete the program. So that would leave me having to finance an additional $22k. They did say they would fully reimburse me if I were to select an Evening MBA program in the $30k range. Which of course is very tempting.

Now I'm wondering if the Executive MBA program is worth the difference over an Evening MBA. In the Executive MBA I'm the youngest one to have been accepted into their program this year. I got in with only 7 years work experience as opposed to their required 10 years. So I would have as much to learn from my peers as well as the class itself. The quality of the professors appear to be better than found in the evening program. The cirriculum seems to be more relevant to the industry as opposed to core academics. The scheduale would require me to be in class 8 hours on Friday and 8 hours on Saturday every two weeks. Also, part of the program requires a 2 week international residency.

In the Evening program, I would be paired with people more my level. 4-5 years work experience. It's focus is more academic as opposed to current trends in the business world. The scheduale would be a little easier on me with about two classes a week with each one lasting from 6pm-9pm each sesssion. No international residency required.

So do you guys think an executive MBA is worth the money of a regular program?
      07-28-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

I am doing a part time MBA at UMASS Amherst. The program recently got changed to a full time program. So even though I applied for a part time, I will have an MBA when done.

I did alot of cost comparisons with different schools, part time vs full MBA, vs executive. To be honest, the cost was not worth it in my opinon. The core courses were the same, and there were just a few more credits and electives which supposedly set the programs apart.

The professors and experiences have been excellent so far. (A little more than half way through the program.) And the more courses I take, the more relevance I see to my job.

If I were you, I would take the evening program and get sponsored. I have found that the extra cost, especially at this level is not worth it based on what I have heard from more expensive programs around me. You will end up earning an MBA. Just like alot of other things, you end up paying for the name. When in the end you will likely have a good or better experience. The most important thing is - the program is what you make of it. Good luck!

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
561design
z4um Hooligan
Jamaica
Rep

I had my heart set on the executive program because I didn't think they would offer me any other options. So it threw me for a loop when they offered to pay the full amount for an evening program.

I've reviewed some of the courses and they seem to be pretty different from one another. I also met some of my peers already from the executive program and I was quite impressed to hear about the positions they held within their companies already. I have a feeling I would get more out of the executive program.

Arggh, I'm just not sure if it's worth the extra money though.
      07-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

It's waste of time if you're planning to move ahead within your own company.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 05:52 AM   #5
561design
z4um Hooligan
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blob View Post
I agree.
      07-29-2008, 07:48 AM   #6
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blob View Post
Not sure I agree here. If your company is willing to pay for an MBA, and then you can potentially get a raise when you are done with the program in your current company. Dont really see how this is a waste of time.

To the OP: Again, not worth the extra money.

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0