E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Euro plate got me pulled over

07-20-2013, 06:50 AM   #67
NormE91
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggletooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvacc View Post
Thanks for posting this man. It's an interesting concept that I've never seen before despite taking a number of psychology and philosophy courses as an undergrad. I find it very provocative.

The problem I see with it is we live in the world we live in. While an educated minority may fall into the fifth and sixth stage, the overwhelming majority of the populace falls into the first four. When you knowingly break the law you should be ready for the consequences. You mentioned it at the end of your post, but I'd like to reiterate that if you find a law ridiculous you should devote some sort of effort to getting it changed. I find that too many people bitch to hear themselves talk instead of taking meaningful action to change the thing they're bitching about.
I agree with what you said wholeheartedly. I believe in nonviolent resistance, such as ignoring laws like this. I also vote for a party that supports my cause by stressing individual liberty and the right to privacy. I also hope that through my educational efforts and position, that one day I can hold office or be a big enough lawyer to make a difference for motorcycle and car enthusiasts. While this is a small issue in the grand scheme of things, it still is obviously something that lowers the quality of life for people who are proud of their cars.

Ultimately, I am pretty disappointed that the most minor things are now subject to government intervention and widespread cockblocking. I honestly feel like police were once respected members of the community with great responsibility and respect. Nowadays they seem to slot somewhere between tax collector and occupiers, and petty laws are part of the reason people share my sentiments.
Having a front plate lowers your quality of life? OMG I never thought of that. I was pretty happy, now I see that my life is meaningless... Sigh.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #68
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Not that I need to chime in here, but coming from living in two states my whole life both of which have required a front license plate, what is the fricking big deal about having a front plate on the car? It's just a license plate. It's not like a BMW 3 series is some exotic car design; it's a plain-Jane sedan or coupe. If your State requires a plate, then throw it on there, or move.

We BMW enthusiasts are seriously going to start a petition to repeal State vehicle code laws? Peaceful protest and non-violent civil disobedience over a license plate law? LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #69
NormE91
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

I think it's kind of funny that people will put a huge euro plate on their car voluntarily, but get upset if they are told to put on a legally required, much smaller, state plate...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #70
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

Put a legal plate on. Problem solved
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #71
CasperSYTFU
SYTFU Crew
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 Toyota FJ

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patel511 View Post
Don't post if you don't have anything worth listening to.
Grow up.
As you'll see from most people's feedback, our advise is worth listening to.
Stop wasting bandwidth and put a plate on or pay the fine and quit crying.
      07-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #72
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormE91 View Post
I think it's kind of funny that people will put a huge euro plate on their car voluntarily, but get upset if they are told to put on a legally required, much smaller, state plate...
So what we really need to do is make the Government mandate the European license plate form-factor (since it is cool) and then all the rear-platers will be happy.

Problem solved again...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #73
Stance321
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: meow

...but you live in ohio? why do you have a euro plate?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #74
supLOL
Banned
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" E89 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by moarlow
It's "kewl" and alternative.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #75
Patel511
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Read the original post.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #76
supLOL
Banned
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" E89 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patel511
Quote:
Read the original post.
I still don't get the whole "hole" business. Please explain.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #77
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

As a European now living in the US, I believe that any idiot with a Euro plate on a US car should get pulled over and citated. Just because it's so stupid looking.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #78
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
This. The only cars with legit European plates are the ones that were registered in Europe and then federalized in the US. The rest are just poser bullshit and should get a ticket for having a false registration. Fun fact: you can drive on US plates legally in Europe if the car is registered in the US. My friend had his E30 325is in London on Illinois plates for years. Great way to avoid speed cameras and parking tickets. At least it was.

Fords are fairly common in a number of European countries.
Not sure why that is a fun fact or surprising. Mexicans and Canadians can drive their cars in the US legally also, right? Why would that not be the case for Americans in Europe?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #79
yarviinn
Captain
Rep
Drives: E9TT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patel511 View Post
Was going down the highway, doing the speed limit, motorcycle cop pulls me over and says that the plate is illegal and that I need a front plate. I explained that there is a hole behind the plate where my car was hit by somebody and the damage wasn't enough to where I should report it and have it show up in my carfax report. The cost wouldn't go over the deductible... He proceeds to write the citation after looking at the hole and gives a warning about my tint. He asks if I've been pulled over in the past year and at that point I realized that this was the same officer who gave me my last ticket. This is a state trooper that seems to have it out for me... Maybe he just prefers Audi or maybe he's profiling.

\rant

OP comes to rant about an officer that's doing his job.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #80
Snaggletooth
General Nuisance
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Having a front plate lowers your quality of life? OMG I never thought of that. I was pretty happy, now I see that my life is meaningless... Sigh.
Mock me all you want, but I'm happier with my car looking clean. Aesthetics are important to me to some degree and hence, being strong armed into ruining the look of the front of my car does in fact lower my quality of life. Maybe you don't get it, but it's not about you.
      07-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #81
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggletooth
Quote:
Mock me all you want, but I'm happier with my car looking clean. Aesthetics are important to me to some degree and hence, being strong armed into ruining the look of the front of my car does in fact lower my quality of life. Maybe you don't get it, but it's not about you.
I get it it- it does bother me when things aren't quite right, whether with the car, or any other possession- or even my friends and family.
It comes with having passion -for the things that you own- the people you know- not everyone gets it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #82
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

Whats the point of looking clean if you are not legal. I dont want an idiot to hit and run where i can see the plate number just because of something stupid like a cover or different plate. Whats next removing refelectors because it doesnt look clean? Its there for a purpose, grow the f up or take it off the public roads.

This is why i love the english mot, strict rules. Nothing in america that prevents being totally road legal!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #83
abgs87
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 318d M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by racermp
Whats the point of looking clean if you are not legal. I dont want an idiot to hit and run where i can see the plate number just because of something stupid like a cover or different plate. Whats next removing refelectors because it doesnt look clean? Its there for a purpose, grow the f up or take it off the public roads.

This is why i love the english mot, strict rules. Nothing in america that prevents being totally road legal!
Our MOT can be a pain (only when you forget it's coming up and haven't set money aside for it!) but I fully appreciate why it's there and wouldn't change it at all! And fords over here have got to be one of the most popular brands.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #84
Snaggletooth
General Nuisance
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

A lot of you guys are forgetting WHY front plates are popular amongst the police, and for the majority of cases it is because it presents a great target for speed enforcement equipment. It is presented as being for 'public safety' but in practice winds up being for revenue generation.
      07-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #85
Patel511
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by supLOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patel511
Quote:
Read the original post.
I still don't get the whole "hole" business. Please explain.
Guy with a beat down truck with tow hitch backed into the front denting the plate inwards and punching a whole into the bumper. Dude had no insurance...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #86
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335
I hope like hell that NJ passes a law one day not requiring a front plate- it will be a happy day indeed!
Lol...front plate problems...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #87
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335
I hope like hell that NJ passes a law one day not requiring a front plate- it will be a happy day indeed!
Lol...front plate problems...
Tell me about it! Times are tough for a brother to drive around the hood dawg....
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #88
SharkBait
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Not sure why that is a fun fact or surprising. Mexicans and Canadians can drive their cars in the US legally also, right? Why would that not be the case for Americans in Europe?
You can drive in the US as a visitor on plates of a different country. But what I meant was that in Europe, you could import a car and keep it on the plates of the origin country for pretty much as long as you want. Several friends did this.

I had a B5 Audi S4 that I bought in Sweden, drove it to the UK on temporary EU transit plates, paid the import duty but kept the transit plates on the car for as long as I owned it. Not strictly legal but no one noticed or cared including my insurance company.
Appreciate 0