E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Does you're E90/E92/93 have a rattle......

03-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #45
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

well, i have officially given up, so took it into PMW in Chelmsford today..

they acknowledged the noise, removed the scuttle panel and secured.. noise still there, checked the inner splash guard and tighten all that up... noise still there, re-tightened all bolts on the n/s/f wing and following a road test apparently all was ok..

i've just driven home, nearly £70 lighter, and absolutely nothing has changed

*sigh*
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 03:54 AM   #46
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbm View Post
I have followed this thread and tried several fixes i.e. wing bolts etc. with no joy. Noise is approx 70 mph and passenger side engine compartment and could be worse the colder the temperature? When i had some time I investigated in the area I thought it came from and removed the air filter chamber housing and the only thing I came up with was a number of plastic conduits (electrical cable protection) in the area of the inlet manifold, around the area of the high pressure fuel pump. Applied a couple of cable ties to keep the conduits together and had an instant result, no noise. Have driven in numerous conditions and temperatures in the last month and the noise has gone. I originally put it down to technicians not putting everything back together correctly after high pressure fuel pump replacement. Hope this is help to others.
i am all over this suggestion like a damp flannel!!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 04:30 AM   #47
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
My car developed a rattle on Saturday that seems to come and go randomly regardless of speed or temp or road surface. I'm pretty sure it is in the center console behind/around the air vents.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #48
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

My E91 is the rattliest (is that a word?) car I've had since my Audi. Quietest? Skoda
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #49
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 840i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbo99 View Post
i am all over this suggestion like a damp flannel!!
Still no noise and back to driving a quiet car at all speeds bar road noise.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 03:30 AM   #50
dobbo99
Major
Rep

Quote:
Still no noise and back to driving a quiet car at all speeds bar road noise.
fail - tried this last night and the rattles still there this morning.

i have however, managed to get to a point where I only get the rattle under full acceleration, and only from about 3.5k rpm upwards.....
random

but i feel im getting a tad closer.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #51
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
fail - tried this last night and the rattles still there this morning.

i have however, managed to get to a point where I only get the rattle under full acceleration, and only from about 3.5k rpm upwards.....
random

but i feel im getting a tad closer.
Did you manage to find the conduits which are situated passenger side near the rear of the engine compartment. There is a bunch together and two are supported by rubber fastenings onto a metal bracket. Follow these down as far as you can reach they go quite some way to the bottom of the engine bay. I connected together the 3 large ones and put cable ties around in two positions, one as low as I could reach and one in the middle leaving the original 2 connected at the top on the original bracket.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 04:15 AM   #52
dobbo99
Major
Rep

Quote:
Did you manage to find the conduits which are situated passenger side near the rear of the engine compartment. There is a bunch together and two are supported by rubber fastenings onto a metal bracket. Follow these down as far as you can reach they go quite some way to the bottom of the engine bay. I connected together the 3 large ones and put cable ties around in two positions, one as low as I could reach and one in the middle leaving the original 2 connected at the top on the original bracket.
hmm maybe im looking at a slightly different area.
my get under the car tomorrow and have a look. your description sounds exactly where they are coming from.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #53
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

There is a service notice about rattle from b pillar..which being so close i guess could be thought to be passenger door.

apparently mark door catch bolt location, release nuya, move then reposition EXACTLY same location and re torque shut bolt catch.

Cannot remember where I read this but think was on the main forum tsb page and it is an official BMW .pdf

Chris
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 05:59 AM   #54
liam_
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

I have also experienced a rattle/flapping noise coming from the passenger side area at speed, however it seems to be intermittent. Thankfully I haven't heard it for a while, but now that I've said that I'm sure it will be louder than ever when I next drive the car!

Sorry to move this slightly off topic, but I have started to notice a metallic sounding rattle, almost like a loose heat shield (I have checked and from what I can tell the heat shields are not loose), coming from the rear drives side wheel area (suspension related?), when travelling down a bumpy road or going over speed humps. Does anybody have the same or have any idea what's causing this?
      03-23-2012, 06:11 AM   #55
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

the only rattle I had since i've had my car was a drivers side window rattle. The dealer adjusted it as its still under new car warranty and now its gone. Now its completely rattle free, unless I rest my arm on the arm rest - which does squeek / creak a bit. Think I'll need to take a look at that.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #56
carbonSI
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: GT86 DGM

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Ive developed a new rattle behind the metal trim above the glove box. sounds like perhaps a loose cable. if i bang the top of the dash i can replicate the rattle. anyone had this one and fixed it?
      03-26-2012, 04:34 AM   #57
dobbo99
Major
Rep

Quote:
so you take off the air filter housing, and its the cables running down the side of the engine under the car?
cos I tried that on friday, and its not that!

although it is much better than it was - ive taken a couple of decent steps forward!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #58
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
so you take off the air filter housing, and its the cables running down the side of the engine under the car?
cos I tried that on friday, and its not that!

although it is much better than it was - ive taken a couple of decent steps forward!
I took out the filter box just to see a bit better but you can gain access to the cable conduits more towards the rear of the engine compartment, I can say by now that my noise has gone as i could hear it every day at 70mph with some days louder than others but always there.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #59
Burned
Rep
Drives: E92 330D M Sport

Tried a number of things to try and sort this rattle out, but eventually gave up and asked BMW to take a look whilst it was in for its MOT.

They said they had seen the issue before and and the resolution was to "move the wing in". £25 later and I havent heard the rattle since.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 05:48 PM   #60
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burned View Post
Tried a number of things to try and sort this rattle out, but eventually gave up and asked BMW to take a look whilst it was in for its MOT.

They said they had seen the issue before and and the resolution was to "move the wing in". £25 later and I havent heard the rattle since.
Can you provide please..

A) dealer used
B) who you spoke to/who did the work
C) anything that can identify you.. I.e. blue e92 with cream leather

Then, I'll try and get my dealer to speak to them!!

Ty ;D
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #61
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
I too have this problem (speed related rattle, passenger side). I think I've worked out why the problem seems to come and go. It only occurs when driving into still air. If I'm on a busy M-way with lots of traffic causing air turbulence, the rattle stops. But as soon as I hit clear air, it returns.

I've also noticed that most people on this post are (I think) driving non-turbo cars. I've noticed the inner n/s wheel arch has three cut-outs in the wing, each about an inch square (presumably designed for mounting something that's not fitted to the 325i). These cut-outs aren't blanked off in any way and I wonder of the air swirl from the wheel arch into the engine bay is making the plastic wing vibration worse.

Just a thought...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #62
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

mine turns out be my passenger wiper blade!!

all sorted now, changed them due to something unrelated and the issue went away. mad.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #63
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

I've got a rattle coming from the passenger side. It's only noticeable on rough roads but really pisses me off.
Sounds like it's either coming from the passenger seat or the area around the seatbelt butler but it's impossible to pinpoint.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 04:38 AM   #64
carbonSI
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: GT86 DGM

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
I've got a rattle coming from the passenger side. It's only noticeable on rough roads but really pisses me off.
Sounds like it's either coming from the passenger seat or the area around the seatbelt butler but it's impossible to pinpoint.
Got that one too really p***es me off! Sometimes cant believe my 98 clio rattled less than this. Remember my dad had an s-class in the late 80's. not a sound from that, those were the glory years of german build quality
      04-06-2012, 05:54 AM   #65
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Check my post above. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #66
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticc
Check my post above. ;-)
Thanks for the heads up. Is that the same bolt someone pictured earlier in the thread?
Appreciate 0