E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Watchdog This Week It Looks Like It Is About Bmw

09-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #155
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Did you guys all miss this quote:

"We are now in the process of offering to any concerned customers of targeted models, extra technical measures which will mean the car cannot be taken using the piece of equipment highlighted in these stories."

That categorically says to me that they will take measures to prevent it. Technical measures...

Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #156
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
You being sarcastic or did BMW customer service give you a solution?

Makkan - yes its embarrassing will move it tomorrow first thing
no, haven't seen the programme yet...or received any solution....

but glad that it appeared on watchdog!!!...

need to wait for it to come on bbc iplayer now...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #157
Dragon88
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320i M-Sport

According to BMW UK on Facebook:

"A recall will not be issued. We are contacting certain customers of BMW X5/X6 vehicles to trial a measure that will mitigate against this sort of attack.
We are still investigating the situation for other vehicles which are potentially affected. In the meantime, we can only recommend that owners remain extremely vigilant.
Currently we are dealing primarily with an issue regarding late model X5 and X6 vehicles since they seem to be the focus of this sort of theft."

So it seems us 3 series will have to wait a while.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #158
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

With regards to BMW's solution to this problem - I'll believe it when I see it.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #159
StarSailor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

I've just spoken to BMW customer services and been told that there is a potential fix/solution but that it is still undergoing tests.

They are hoping to have the fix/solution in place and have all relevant cars into the dealers to be upgraded within 8 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #160
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I wonder if they can ban me from their FB page?!...lol...I've being very polite on their wall tho...just in case...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #161
raf555
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

Wonder if remapped cars will lose the map via this security software update??
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #162
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

somewhere in the region of 200k + 3 series have been sold in the UK between 2006 - 2011, if a fix only takes 1 hour per car that's still 200k hours labour, I don't believe BMW are in a position to allocate this time to a fix.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #163
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Did you guys all miss this quote:

"We are now in the process of offering to any concerned customers of targeted models, extra technical measures which will mean the car cannot be taken using the piece of equipment highlighted in these stories."

That categorically says to me that they will take measures to prevent it. Technical measures...

Matt
Matt,
Thats good technically. However in BMW technical language, only X5/6 are technical enough to have those 'extra technical measure' according to their technical Fakebook page.

BMW thinks that X5/6 are targetted models at the moment.
      09-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #164
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
With regards to BMW's solution to this problem - I'll believe it when I see it.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by raf555 View Post
Wonder if remapped cars will lose the map via this security software update??

If there is a security patch, then most likely they will be updating all modules to make everything compatible with each other.
In that case, it is very likely that map will be void.
      09-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #165
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

BMW CS says all BMWs will be able to have this measure carried out.

Phone them; find out for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #166
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M sport

IMO; BMW are currently full of bull $4it and there is no security update available for anything other than certain x5 & x6 models!

Its all about damage limitation and spin and they will say anything to make themselves look better. Until people actually start getting any upgrade free of charge, i wont hold my breath.

Then again, do you really trust any upgrade they do will completely solve this problem??? I don't, im sure it would only be a matter of time until the crooks over come it!
      09-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #167
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

As taken from the piston heads thread.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...eys&mid=328070

"Hello all, I'm a BMW technician of 8 years and I would like to firstly point out that there is NO current solution to the problem. All the bumpf from BMW UK is just PR stuff at the moment.

I drive an E90 myself, and there is a simple, temporary solution.

The key needs to be coded via the OBD. This is found on the driver's side, usually in the door area next to your right leg.

The solution (that I have carried out to my own car) is to remove the OBD and relocate it elsewhere. If thieves break in and get the obd cover off and then can't locate the actual OBD connector plug, they will not be able to programme the car.

Remove the plastic panels under/surrounding the steering column and footwell. Next, unscrew the OBD (2 Philips screws) from it's mount, then relocate it among the rat's nest of wiring under the steering wheel (completely out of sight). Use electrical tape to secure it to another loom as far back as possible and hide the OBD plug among a heap of wires. Refit the trims and surroundings and hopefully that's you!

Unless a thief wants to spend around 30-45 minutes stripping a footwell and steering column then search a maze of wires to find a plug, they will have no joy in finding the OBD and will most likely bugger off to someone else's car.

Hole that helps for now"
      09-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #168
Matrez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90

Great job guys, much appreciated !!! Hope it will be sorted for all of us soon and these cheeky bastards can kiss our handles good bye forever...

We are going to the BMW dealer tomorrow to have a word about it and hopefully something will be done shortly. If the result will be negative tomorrow I am getting disklock, moving or disconnecting the OBD port as its the most common way of stealing BMWs. If that doesnt work Ill buy some £300 old banger (not BMW !) and here you are steal it if you want Those who have garages should be kind of happy I suppose Dont forget to disconnect the OBD port on your electric garage gate as these bastards may trick it too.

Good luck to all of you

PS. Could I watch the watchdog episode somewhere now as missed it beeing away ?
      09-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #169
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

And another interesting post on the same thread:

"Ok - now I've posted a few entries on here before to which I deleted due to several issues I won't go into.
I continue to follow this topic, as I have done right from the very start (along with others on other sites) and lets say used it to my advantage from the knowledge and experience out there with regards to the "techi" side of OBD's,ECU/EMU'S, BIPPERS, TRACKERS, BLOCKERS, JAMMERS etc etc.

I'll be very upfront with you all and admit to being a cop - and this "little bit" (joking) of an issue has been my life for the past year. Apart from the "real" technical questions I could probably answer any question you have about this topic.
Obviously doing what I do I'm a little restricted on what I can share with you - so please don't be firing anything at me knowing I can't answer it for obvious data protection and/or legal reasons.

However for this first post I would just like to confirm that in the Midlands "we" are taking this very seriously, albeit its taken me a long time to get it to the stage we're at now (no I'm not a politician nor work for BMW). We have a vast amount of pro-active work going on in the identified hotspots areas for these thefts and when the opportunities arise we act quickly and over the past 9 months have had some great results. Obviously this news doesn't make the press, nor does it get to forums like this to offer some reassurance that vehicles and being found (whole / parts or just number plates) and offenders are being arrested, charged and convicted.

Comments such as the above "fedz are in on it" just goes to show that this positive news is NOT getting out.
I'm sure that other cops reading this will agree with me on this, and this problem comes down from Government level saying that "vehicle crime" is not a problem and the figures are falling, and for those practitioners such as myself, we are getting as frustrated as you guys out there losing your cars.

Anyway I hope to NOT get a barrage of abuse back as previously nor accused of actually stealing the cars myself (as easy as it is)
I comment from my own knowledge and experience from the past 12 months, which is not always right, as things change and have changed in this short period, in relation to "how they do it" & "who is doing it". Upgraded devices and software come on the market, bigger and better organised crime groups come along and have a go etc etc. It's fast moving but I'm trying to keep up.

Watchdog should be interesting tonight though, and very interesting CCTV evidence of exactly how they did that chaps 1M, which you've no doubt found and/or seen on YouTube.

What I will say is that there is NO evidence (at the moment) of any such device or software to overcome the new F series.
However for those monitoring certain websites to buy these devices, (as they can be purchased legitimately) you may just see an updated piece of hardware on the market soon.
One device being used is shown below (seized as evidence) which is one of several different variations we've come across.

The EdiLock & OBD cable, blank key and a window dotter

Very few cars are leaving the country, most are stripped for parts and the most being recovered are M3/M5 due to Tracker units fitted, but as we all know, theses can be removed within minutes, as most of them are fitted in the same place.

I know this is a BMW forum, however if you've got friends with an Audi, all models to date (04>) then please warn them this issue could soon happen to them too.

Someone mentioned a F going from North Birmingham over last weekend?
Unless I've completely missed that (which I doubt) I am not aware of it."

Last edited by shortie; 09-12-2012 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #170
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrez View Post
Should be on iplayer soon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._30_Episode_1/
      09-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #171
Matrez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Great job guys, much appreciated !!! Hope it will be sorted for all of us soon and these cheeky bastards can kiss our handles good bye forever...

We are going to the BMW dealer tomorrow to have a word about it and hopefully something will be done shortly. If the result will be negative tomorrow I am getting disklock, moving or disconnecting the OBD port as its the most common way of stealing BMWs. If that doesnt work Ill buy some £300 old banger (not BMW !) and here you are steal it if you want Those who have garages should be kind of happy I suppose Dont forget to disconnect the OBD port on your electric garage gate as these bastards may trick it too.

Good luck to all of you

I was also thinking about gear stick/handbrake lock but its useless as the gear knob can be taken out very easily so pointless Here it is :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY...item27bddaca43

If there are any better ones just let us know.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #172
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I was also thinking about gear stick/handbrake lock but its useless as the gear knob can be taken out very easily so pointless Here it is :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY...item27bddaca43

If there are any better ones just let us know.

Thanks.
For those with automatic gearboxes there used to be a key lock with a fastening bolt going through the transmission tunnel preventing it being put into gear. Saw an ad a couple of years ago and it was about £150 - £200.

Tried googling but cant find anything
      09-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #173
Matrez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortie View Post
For those with automatic gearboxes there used to be a key lock with a fastening bolt going through the transmission tunnel preventing it being put into gear. Saw an ad a couple of years ago and it was about £150 - £200.

Tried googling but cant find anything
Thanks for that.

The BMW will be solving the problem for ages as you all can imagine so we need to take action ourselves and protect our cars so bastards will not even attemt stealing it. What we should do :

1. Disklok (£75 new)
Here is a chap with his disklok for 20 years :

2. Key lock with a fastening bolt going through the transmission tunnel only for automatic cars (£150 - £200 new)

3. Disconnecting or relocating the OBD port (posted by 'Max Torque' on PH)
Listen chaps, it's easy! Just remove one of the CAN bus wires from your J1962 OBD socket. The wires push backwards out of the plastic connector by pushing down a little locking tab. Then just tape said wire back onto the loom with a bit of electrical insulating tape.

Said thief is not going to be spending time with his head upsidedown in your footwells trying to find out why his tool can get coms with your car for any length of time. If your dealler needs to communicate with the car, they can just spend a min putting the contact back into place:

Remove either pin 6 (CAN low) or 14 (CAN high)

4. Aftermarket alarm etc
Here is a good one (for price call 01172 440019) :

Here you have a nasty guy selling the key fobs :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...iZDJtM2gw&NR=1

Here you can buy the coding device for 8000 EUR :
http://vag-info.com/BMW%20Group%20products.htm

Here is a idiot showing how it works :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=N70Z9Z5hY8A

The smart boys stealing the 1M (cut all their hands off!!!) :

At first why the hell would any company sell these programmers to anyone ? If I loose my key I will visit my dealer and a technician will use the device to program a new key fob for me. Any of these bastards stealing the cars would not even make the LED flash. Block the bloody source and it will be sorted kind of.

Shame

Last edited by Matrez; 09-12-2012 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:52 AM   #174
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortie View Post
As taken from the piston heads thread.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...eys&mid=328070

"Hello all, I'm a BMW technician of 8 years and I would like to firstly point out that there is NO current solution to the problem. All the bumpf from BMW UK is just PR stuff at the moment.

I drive an E90 myself, and there is a simple, temporary solution.

The key needs to be coded via the OBD. This is found on the driver's side, usually in the door area next to your right leg.

The solution (that I have carried out to my own car) is to remove the OBD and relocate it elsewhere. If thieves break in and get the obd cover off and then can't locate the actual OBD connector plug, they will not be able to programme the car.

Remove the plastic panels under/surrounding the steering column and footwell. Next, unscrew the OBD (2 Philips screws) from it's mount, then relocate it among the rat's nest of wiring under the steering wheel (completely out of sight). Use electrical tape to secure it to another loom as far back as possible and hide the OBD plug among a heap of wires. Refit the trims and surroundings and hopefully that's you!

Unless a thief wants to spend around 30-45 minutes stripping a footwell and steering column then search a maze of wires to find a plug, they will have no joy in finding the OBD and will most likely bugger off to someone else's car.

Hole that helps for now"
Hmmm, interesting. Well, putting aside the fact that BMW effectively supported and had announced on national TV last night that they have a solution to resolve this on ALL BMW models, how have they overcome this issue on ALL BMWs built after August 2011?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 03:07 AM   #175
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
Just got off the phone to my two closest dealers, plus the one I bought the at off. All are towing the party line of X5/X6 at th mo, fix on testing for other cars, should be ready within 8 weeks.

I tried to get some details out of the guy I spoke to and he said it was basically going to 'scramble' the interface with the cars computer. Sounded a lot like he was making it up, but if they do encrypt the obd (which they can't due to the eu law) then what will this mean for coders?! Get your coding in now!! Haha!

Still, good to see that the sealed are at least acknowledging te existence of the issue.

Last edited by Frobius; 09-13-2012 at 03:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 03:09 AM   #176
TripleD
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi S4 Avant

Just phoned my dealer, they only have a security update for the X5 and X6, there's nothing for any othe car at the moment.

They are making a list of callers, and said they will contact me once an update is available.

When quizzing more she said they expect something in the next 4 weeks, but there's no official date!

How can Watchdog say there's a security update available, yet it's only for 2 types of BMW! Actually not very happy with Watchdog they should be giving people the correct information!
Appreciate 0