E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Locked up transmission and no reverse?

01-22-2018, 11:08 PM   #1
boostinsidewayz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 99 mustang

Locked up transmission and no reverse?

My girlfriend has a 08 328xi that I am working on. 125k, auto and no big problems until now.
Problem started out as not having reverse, she drove the car back up her driveway and turned it off. I figured it was the shift rod selector inside the trans. When trying to start the car afterwards it ran for a minute in park then turned off. She tried to restart again it would spin but not fire up. Then it stopped trying to start at all.
Now to where we are now. I figured I would replace the starter before tackling the trans job. Bench tested the starter before it went in the car and it worked properly. Put it in and buttoned up the intake and sensors and it only clicks. Jumping to the starter motor directly the starter spins. Jumping solenoid and you can hear it click. But when you jump the signal wire it engages but doesn’t spin.
So I tried turning the motor with a breaker bar on the crank bolt and it won’t budge

Does anyone have any ideas? It seems like too much of a coincidence that the motor seized up at the same time there was a trans issue.

Also is there any write up for removing the trans in these? Is it possible to pull just the trans of does the motor have to come out with it.
Appreciate 0