E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > CPO strikes out!! TFRO.

01-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cinderella: 2008 E91 328xi

CPO strikes out!! TFRO.

Total Friggin Rip Off.
Rear wiper on CPO E91 slows to a stop and fails. Take it in to Stealership for CPO free wiper motor. Naturally, it isn't the motor it's the linkage BETWEEN the motor and the wiper.

Of course it is.

And that part isn't covered by CPO.

Of course it isn't.

$500.

FKME.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
they will always try to get some money out of you....

and if you dont like the price, you have to pay the 140 for them to just look at it!

you have to be very cautious in bringing your car in!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
they will always try to get some money out of you....

and if you dont like the price, you have to pay the 140 for them to just look at it!

you have to be very cautious in bringing your car in!
True, and True. This is my first repair and wanted to see how it went. So far.. not so f'in great.

Question to the group: how would I know if they actually do swap out the motor, but charge me for some BS linkage to save them a CPO repair?
Of course..this would never happen..that would be wrong.. I'm just curious.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmerMeUp View Post
True, and True. This is my first repair and wanted to see how it went. So far.. not so f'in great.

Question to the group: how would I know if they actually do swap out the motor, but charge me for some BS linkage to save them a CPO repair?
Of course..this would never happen..that would be wrong.. I'm just curious.
hum, you really wouldnt know.

they are technically are suppose to have any parts replaced in the service sheet you are provided, but they can always lie.

only way youd know forsure is to mark your old motor or linkage, and check after to see what work they did and what they replaced.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
hum, you really wouldnt know.

they are technically are suppose to have any parts replaced in the service sheet you are provided, but they can always lie.

only way youd know forsure is to mark your old motor or linkage, and check after to see what work they did and what they replaced.
I was afraid of that. Lesson learned!! Next time: Everything gets marked with a UV pen before it goes in!! Screws 'n All!
Bah.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
slider86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP 6MT, 2021 M2C 6MT

I wasn't aware that CPO actually covers that stuff. Thought it was just drivetrain. Maybe it's different up there.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

I've got cpo warranty plus extended free maint. till 6 yr/100K. Wonder if this type of issue would be repaired for free on mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider86 View Post
I wasn't aware that CPO actually covers that stuff. Thought it was just drivetrain. Maybe it's different up there.
It does cover a fair bit North of 60...but seems.. still not enough!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
threethirtyfive
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335, '04 R32

Garage List
Have you thought to take a peak at it yourself? A wiper linkage failure sounds like it needs some lubrication? Not familiar with the part but did they tell you what part broke? The slow to a stop part makes it sound like it just froze up.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
I've got cpo warranty plus extended free maint. till 6 yr/100K. Wonder if this type of issue would be repaired for free on mine.
Had it been the wiper motor, it would have been "free" (I would only pay a $50 deductible). I'm not sure if the CPO is the same in the USA. Seems there is always an "out" however, so it probably doesn't matter either way.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW CPO.pdf (222.1 KB, 167 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Wtf a wiper linkage for my Nissan was all of $38 with free shipping what a total rip off
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #12
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by threethirtyfive View Post
Have you thought to take a peak at it yourself? A wiper linkage failure sounds like it needs some lubrication? Not familiar with the part but did they tell you what part broke? The slow to a stop part makes it sound like it just froze up.

Good luck.
Nah it wears out. If it wasn't due ( my Nissan broke after 12 yrs) then someone put excessive force on it ( say turned on the wiper when it was frozen to the glass etc)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #13
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

I would try a salvage yard...you could get the whole rear hatch for 500.00!....

That linkage could be repairable...or rebuildable...or it could just need grease....(read below)

what wore out on the linkage?
a gear, a bushing?...linkages by nature are not complicated and are very straight forward in design....

found this on another forum:
On mine (E46 touring ) the wiper has seized a couple of times over the 4 years i have had the car, each time the wiper starts to wipe very slow until it stops , , with the glass section up , i sprayed WD40 into everywhere i could get it to go in !!! (Rags at the ready for drips !!!!) and by morning , it had worked it's magic , i was going to take the tail gate apart and get to the motor , as i have seen these can be overhauled as they do seize up with rust , Touch wood , not had anymore bother with it , The WD must have got right into it , wouldnt be a bad idea to take the panel off and give it a good coating of spray grease with it running , so you get all the moving parts ....

Take it apart and LOOK at the mechanicals...it will give you your answers!...if its truly broken and in need of replacement, you will know by looking at it.

If the dealership simply adds grease to the assembly and it works, then charges you 500.00 I would have a cow!

JP
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

One other thing. You have the right to get your old parts back. Any time I had any work done on my previous cars I would ask for the old part. That would at least ensure they actually replaced it.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #15
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lilredwagon View Post
I would try a salvage yard...you could get the whole rear hatch for 500.00!....

JP
Not sure if you're familiar with a wiper transmission linkage. I went to a salvage yard to find one for my Nissan--after pulling them out of 6 Nissans, I found that every single one was in the same condition that mine was in. WORN OUT. I assumed it was an expensive part, but I come to find it cost $38 with no tax and free shipping (Rock Auto was a little higher at $43 plus shipping). Hardly worth trying to get used.

I dunno how much the part actually costs for a BMW but lets use common sense--dealers get from $160 to $200 to change the microcabin filter, so their charges do not imply that the part is expensive.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #16
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
One other thing. You have the right to get your old parts back. Any time I had any work done on my previous cars I would ask for the old part. That would at least ensure they actually replaced it.
Not really, they just give you one back that was laying around the shop. It's done all the time where the mfg. is charged for a warranty part without a core.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #17
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

Quote:
Total Friggin Rip Off.
Rear wiper on CPO E91 slows to a stop and fails. Take it in to Stealership for CPO free wiper motor. Naturally, it isn't the motor it's the linkage BETWEEN the motor and the wiper.

Of course it is.

And that part isn't covered by CPO.

Of course it isn't.

$500.

FKME.
Welcome to the world of BMW.

B=BREAK

M=MY

W=WALLET

Sometimes I think your better off with a indy service policy.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #18
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by threethirtyfive View Post
Have you thought to take a peak at it yourself? ...
Yes, LESSON LEARNED indeed - Next time, I will 100% be investigating it BEFORE delivering it, if at all. I really thought it was the wiper motor - a few quick searches since then (this is the lesson learned part...arg) and I might have thought otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Wtf a wiper linkage for my Nissan was all of $38 with free shipping what a total rip off
Indeed. I have since discovered I could order it online myself, OEM, for about $70 + shipping. What's the other $430 for?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lilredwagon View Post
... what wore out on the linkage?
a gear, a bushing? ...

found this on another forum:
On mine (E46 touring ) the wiper has seized a couple of times over the 4 years i have had the car, ...
This is another quote which prompted me to search myself also. Learned to SEARCH HERE FIRST before thinking the Stealership will be nice enough to tell me to just go buy a can of lube. (for the *car...* not my pooper as their charges would suggest they prefer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
One other thing. You have the right to get your old parts back. ...
Tru Dat. I will be asking for it. For $500, I will expect it to be mounted on a mahogany backboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
... I dunno how much the part actually costs for a BMW but lets use common sense--dealers get from $160 to $200 to change the microcabin filter, so their charges do not imply that the part is expensive.
You are dead right - $70. And that's online retail, not dealership wholesale! The rest is gravy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBKUR View Post
Welcome to the world of BMW.
B=BREAK
M=MY
W=WALLET
Sometimes I think your better off with a indy service policy.
I will start by poking around on my own next time - I was so certain it was the motor, it never occured to me to consider otherwise. Next time... I will most certainly consider otherwise. Off CPO or Non-CPO items: Indy time, my friend. Indy time.

~~~~
Thanks to everyone for your input. It was an expensive lesson, but I've learned it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 12:49 AM   #19
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Total ripoff, come on guys don't let your selfs be at mercy at the dealers, figure out a way to fix it yourself, or a least source the parts for cheaper and find a good indy.

Its like when my side mirror motor broke, the mirror assembly is $500 dollars plus another 500 for the dealers to install it, I found one on ebay for $50 bucks that was mis labeled as a e36 mirror assembly and installed it in about a hour.

Even if I didn't get lucky there was tons on there for $150-200. The one I got looked brand new way better shape then the one on my car.

Reminds me of the guy who paided 1300 at the dealer to replace the waterpump, you can get it at tischer or bmwpartpros.com for like $350 (N52), and at least have a indy shop install it if your not comfy with DIY.

Dealers are irrelevant once your out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #20
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
Total ripoff, come on guys don't let your selfs be at mercy at the dealers, figure out a way to fix it yourself, or a least source the parts for cheaper and find a good indy.

Its like when my side mirror motor broke, the mirror assembly is $500 dollars plus another 500 for the dealers to install it, I found one on ebay for $50 bucks that was mis labeled as a e36 mirror assembly and installed it in about a hour.

Even if I didn't get lucky there was tons on there for $150-200. The one I got looked brand new way better shape then the one on my car.

Reminds me of the guy who paided 1300 at the dealer to replace the waterpump, you can get it at tischer or bmwpartpros.com for like $350 (N52), and at least have a indy shop install it if your not comfy with DIY.

Dealers are irrelevant once your out of warranty.
Dealers are irrelevant once you buy the car and drive off. All they want to do is screw you.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #21
aleksl
Dinan 2
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Quote:
It does cover a fair bit North of 60...but seems.. still not enough!
North of 60? I doubt there are any BMW dealers that far north.
      01-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #22
wasasailor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i sedan

Not sure if this is applicable to the rear wiper but the Haynes manual for the the 3 Series front wiper states that the wiper motor and linkage is supplied as a complete set.
Appreciate 0