E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > MOST cable

01-24-2014, 05:22 AM   #1
vmiro
Enlisted Member
Bosnia
Rep
Drives: BMW 318d E91

MOST cable

Hi, I'm trying to retrofit Bluetooth in my E91. Retrofit wiring harness for bluetooth is not available anymore from BMW so I need to make wiring by myself.

The question is: can I make optical cable with connectors?

I can see in ETK optical cable and connector, but I'm not sure that I can mount connectors on optical cable without special equipment.

Thanks
mIRO
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 04:39 AM   #2
vmiro
Enlisted Member
Bosnia
Rep

Nobody has every worked with optical cable used with MOST ??
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 01:35 AM   #3
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport

Garage List
So you are starting off with no 6FL USB/Audio Interface option? Are you adding a TCU, or even a newer model Pro CD Unit with Bluetooth built-in?

If I recall correctly, depending on date of manufacture or if it came with the Bluetooth prep, your car may already have the MOST/antenna wiring in place going from the MOST hub under the left rear passenger seat bolster into the trunk. But if not, you should be able to get the two MOST optical cables and connector to Bluetooth MULF or TCU from BMW parts.

And I don't think the optical cables are uniquely mounted in the connectors requiring special tools. Just guessing but from when I was looking at the connector, I think the cable ends are held in place by little tabs, just like solid/stranded wire connectors, with assembly easily accomplished by pushing the cable into the connector until it clicks into place.
      04-03-2014, 12:33 AM   #4
vmiro
Enlisted Member
Bosnia
Rep

I'm going with MULF with USB.
No, I don't have wiring installed, I've checked it.
I though I could buy POF (plastic optical fibre) which is used for optical installation in BMW cars and buy connectors from BMW, that's why I asked how hard is to make installation for MOST on my own, ie. is it possible to attach optical cable to connectors without some special tool...

Yes, I can always go to BMW dealer and buy installation but their prices are
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmiro View Post
I though I could buy POF (plastic optical fibre) which is used for optical installation in BMW cars and buy connectors from BMW, that's why I asked how hard is to make installation for MOST on my own, ie. is it possible to attach optical cable to connectors without some special tool...
I'm confidant that the optical cables are simple plug-ins into the connectors because that's how the bare ends connect into the MOST hub under the rear seat and I doubt there are different ends of the cables designed for separate connections
      04-18-2014, 07:03 AM   #6
vmiro
Enlisted Member
Bosnia
Rep

I got the MOST installation from another car at the junk yard.
There are two types of connector that attaches to the POF cable, plug and socket:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ns03al5lmlehnvq/POF_conn.jpg

To connect optical cable to MOST hub I need plug on the one POF and the socket at the other POF.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/97xd1wzrrn...nn_mounted.jpg

I got two POF cables with attached plug type connectors and I need to remove one and mount the socket type connector, but here lies the problem. I can't remove it, because it looks like it's been crimped. Should I cut the POF cable and simple mount the socket on it ?? Is there some special tool?

Looking at the mounted plug connector the surface of the inside part of the POF cable is quite smooth
Appreciate 0