E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Notes on a 2011 335is Combox retrofit

Closed Thread

05-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Notes on a 2011 335is Combox retrofit

Suppose that you just bought a MY2011 335is at a great price from the local dealer's lot and found out that it did not have Bluetooth, the iPod adapter and much less the Smartphone adapter as it was build before it was offered... and then find out that the dealer is unable to retrofit any of those options no matter how much money you throw at them.

What to to?

A customer with that dilemma just contacted forum member Patrys for a solution. Then two weeks later a full OEM Combox retrofit was installed, programmed and coded for full OEM integration of:

- dual channel Bluetooth phone connectivity
- Bluetooth Audio
- iPod USB adapter
- BMW apps
- iPod Out/PlugIn
- Internet

Setup

CIC and glovebox (optional, see notes below) removal:

Roof console removal for installation of OEM Bluetooth mic:

Install done -Combox is under the carpet close to the bulkhead:

Quick notes:

- CIC was updated to post-March firmware so BMW Apps would be enabled
- BMW recently released a full OEM Bluetooth/USB retrofit kit for the European market (P/N 65 41 2 152 528), attachment below. This was the kit used for this retrofit. The Combox Media was installed.
- the install document calls for the Combox to be installed on top of the glovebox in an OEM bracket. Unfortunately, being an European kit, this procedure is for the European, no cupholders dash. Which means that if you install the Combox on top of the glovebox the cupholders will hit it once you try to install them back. That the US glovebox is also different in the shape of its top -the Euro no cupholders dash uses a different glovebox shape in its top- made this install location impossible.

It was a great spot, though. I think that a different bracket shape would have work.

- the solution was to install the Combox and BT antenna behind the carpet on the passenger side, against the bulkhead. Plenty of cable to set it up, no intrusion into the cabin, no bump against the passenger's feet. If I had known this issue I would have got this install done in less than an hour by just removing the CIC and not touching the glovebox at all.

Result: full OEM integration, full OEM parts, connectors and cables, no splices, no cuts, no tapping. Customer was more than happy, especially after listening to Pandora and seeing all the Album Art displayed.

Excellent solution for any MY2009+ CIC without TCU or Combox from factory.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Combox Installation.pdf (658.3 KB, 6336 views)

Last edited by Technic; 05-29-2011 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
freefly
Rep
Drives: 335is

Happy Camper ...

Ok here we go. I'm the the owner of this car. Everything that Technic stated in this post is 100% true and believe me is FREAKING FRUSTRATING that you get to buy something and in very short period of time there is something better I did extensive research because my main interest was to fit OEM Bluetooth capabilities on my car. Nobody seem to have an idea on how to do it until i accidentally found the name Patryk. I started reading all his posts, all the questions asked to him and all the answers and explanations he gave. At first I was very skeptic about everything and Patryk knows... Sorry for that buddy I decided to contact SIR PAtryk lol and ask him about the bluetooth option for my car and he explained to me it was possible to fit with no problem at the same time i also asked him about the new BMW apps and connected drive. He also stated that it was all possible to fit on my car with no problem.

I decided to give Patryk a chance and asked him to quote me on everything i wanted with coding and installation. Patryk went ABOVE AND BEYOND with my demands. Have in mind that this guy lives in Poland and even considering the time difference he always replied to my emails and answered all my questions in a very fast manner. Patryk even got me a professional installer with vast experience on BMW in my hometown "Technic" I immediately came to a deal with Patryk and away he went to get all my specific parts for the demands i had for my car. When he got all the parts needed for my fit he immediately contacted me and advised me that parts were ready to ship to me. Once the parts arrived Technic contacted Patryk to start the fit and coding on my car. PEOPLE DON'T BE FOOLED BY OTHERS TRYING TO IMITATE PATRYK BIMMER-TECH. Patryk Coded my car remotely all the way from Poland this was a true example of expertise. Once he started coding the magic started to happen.

On the other hand Technic started the installation. What can I say Technic is an Engineer which equals perfectionist. Technic treated my car like it was he's own. Everything was fitted like the would do on the BMW factory. Clean, sharp, professional with no splicing or cutting of wires 200% OEM. Finally when everything was installed and coded we started testing the system, and I have to say TRUELY AMAZINGGGGGGGG.
the graphics look great, pandora is awesome, Facebook is a killer and I can even use tethering to navigate the internet on the CIC navigation screen

Patryk and Technic I'm truly grateful you guys took care of my car and gave me your trust and respect. Everything went flawless and painless.

To all of you out there thinking of doing this, don't think anymore and just do. Patryk is the guy to work with.....

A quick picture for Patryk & Technic..........

Got it .... Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-31-2011, 06:02 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Finally... the elusive Internetz!!

Girls Gone Wild XXXII here we go...
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I am very happy everything worked out as expected (maybe except the location of the Combox, but that's a different story )

As Technic said - this is a perfect solution for MY2009+ cars without the Bluetooth and without the Bluetooth preparation.

Thanks freefly and Technic!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
nyranger74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i Sapphire Black

Your 335is looks awesome, I saw one at the dealer and wanted it as a fun car. Unfortunately Im married and the wife won't let me get a fun car.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
freefly
Rep
Drives: 335is

No, Thank you guys for your hard work.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
This is great, but what was the cost?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsapper View Post
This is great, but what was the cost?
The cost depends on the car spec.
If you are interested please contact us by email at info@bimmer-tech.net and include your VIN.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 06:49 PM   #9
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Any solutions for non I-drive cars yet? What about the "BMW Station for Apple Iphone" which I understand was delayed to summer 2011
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 01:45 AM   #10
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Any solutions for non I-drive cars yet? What about the "BMW Station for Apple Iphone" which I understand was delayed to summer 2011
The CIC retrofit is what you need...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 06:50 AM   #11
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Patryk, I'd love to...but not willing to cough up $3000 euro, especially at current USD exchange rates.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #12
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Patryk, I'd love to...but not willing to cough up $3000 euro, especially at current USD exchange rates.
The CIC retrofit can be much less. It all depends on which options you will choose...
We can discuss it by email as this is not a commercial section.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #13
pnfard
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3 September 2010

Hi,
I bought a new M3 and got it delivered on September 2010.
I have all the options such as Bluetooth, DAB, TV, SAT NAV, etc.
I have just checked the BMW web and they are offering couple additional options as Google search, Facebook and etc.
I asked the dealer for adding the neww google and apps and they told me that it can not be retro fitted or upgraded with firmware.
Can you let me know if that is true? Or if possible how.

Thanks in advance.
Peddy
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 05:01 AM   #14
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnfard View Post
Hi,
I bought a new M3 and got it delivered on September 2010.
I have all the options such as Bluetooth, DAB, TV, SAT NAV, etc.
I have just checked the BMW web and they are offering couple additional options as Google search, Facebook and etc.
I asked the dealer for adding the neww google and apps and they told me that it can not be retro fitted or upgraded with firmware.
Can you let me know if that is true? Or if possible how.

Thanks in advance.
Peddy
Contact: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=12
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 05:13 AM   #15
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
So does this mean that the newer BMW's have the internet?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 05:17 AM   #16
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydeputy View Post
So does this mean that the newer BMW's have the internet?
Not in the USA; it means that BimmerTech can add BMW Internet to your iDrive depending on your production date.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #17
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Technic. Curious as to how thick the combox is, I found it noteworthy that the control unit for the BMW iPhone station (over an inch thick) slides up behind the glove box frame as opposed to on top as you described the euro combox retrofit location. Any chance it would fit there behind the metal frame?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #18
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Technic. Curious as to how thick the combox is, I found it noteworthy that the control unit for the BMW iPhone station (over an inch thick) slides up behind the glove box frame as opposed to on top as you described the euro combox retrofit location. Any chance it would fit there behind the metal frame?
The glovebox mount limitation is due to the Combox width, not the height. The Combox is about 1.3" tall.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #19
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Quote:
The glovebox mount limitation is due to the Combox width, not the height. The Combox is about 1.3" tall.
Right. Because the width Obstructs us cupholders. If its possible to mount vertically behind the glovebox frame as in the case of the bmw station control that issue wont be a factor?

Im not certain how thick(tall) the control station is. I know it is not as long as the combox so that may account for different mounting choice
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #20
agavrilo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Retrofit 2011 BMW 335i produced 5/2010

I just got this car and I am looking to retrofit to enable Bluetooth audio. What options are available to me? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #21
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agavrilo View Post
I just got this car and I am looking to retrofit to enable Bluetooth audio. What options are available to me? Thanks.
Please contact forum vendor BimmerTech for details on a Combox retrofit for your iDrive.

No iDrive = No Combox = No OEM Bluetooth Audio
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #22
dj_b4l
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 & E60

any idea how much the retrofit bluetooth wiring is? thanks
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread