E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Transmission Problem

02-01-2015, 03:18 AM   #1
emraybaylan
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI 320D

Transmission Problem

Hello guys,

I am driving a 2011 make E92 LCI 320D for about 6 months. When I started my car this morning, I tried to put driving mode to Sport as usual. I noticed that even though stick shift goes to DS (as you all know sliding shift to left) the Sport mode does not work. It works as regular drive mode.

The transmission works fine. I had my car serviced about 1500 km ago. I dont really know what the problem is..Also, when I switch the gears on Sport mode such as M1 M2 etc it works. But it goes back to regular drive mode again. Basically Sport Mode does not work.

Any help will be appreciated.
Emray
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 04:12 AM   #2
slimxb8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Saw a post about wires getting worn or pinched from lots of use of DS... sounds like what is happening to yours.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 04:37 AM   #3
EzequielR
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: E92 08 328xi

This is not a transmission problem. It happens to be that the wires get pinched every time you switch from D mode to DS/Steptronic Mode, this repetitive motion cause the wear in the wire until one finally gives.

This happen to me a few months back, just splice the wires and you are good to go! This job shouldn't cost more than $15 and 15-30min of your time, depending how good you are with electronics/wiring. There is a DIY video on YouTube that even shows you how to create more slack. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
The lack of love won't come from the fact that it's not on a race track but rather that it is on the ground and, in fact, ruined.
my 2 feets are currently on the ground, are they ruined? haha
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 05:30 AM   #4
emraybaylan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimxb8 View Post
Saw a post about wires getting worn or pinched from lots of use of DS... sounds like what is happening to yours.
Thank you very much for the answer. It sounds like minor problem which made me feel so good..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 05:35 AM   #5
emraybaylan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzequielR View Post
This is not a transmission problem. It happens to be that the wires get pinched every time you switch from D mode to DS/Steptronic Mode, this repetitive motion cause the wear in the wire until one finally gives.

This happen to me a few months back, just splice the wires and you are good to go! This job shouldn't cost more than $15 and 15-30min of your time, depending how good you are with electronics/wiring. There is a DIY video on YouTube that even shows you how to create more slack. Good luck!
Thank you very much for detailed answer. The vehicle has 110K km on it so I am assuming this is an expected problem. I will hit the service tomorrow to see what the problem is and I will let you guys know.

If you can give me DIY link for Youtube channel I will be very thankful since I could not find on Youtube
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 05:37 AM   #6
EzequielR
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emraybaylan
Quote:

Thank you very much for detailed answer. The vehicle has 110K km on it so I am assuming this is an expected problem. I will hit the service tomorrow to see what the problem is and I will let you guys know.

If you can give me DIY link for Youtube channel I will be very thankful since I could not find on Youtube
Here you go brother and good luck!

Quote:
The lack of love won't come from the fact that it's not on a race track but rather that it is on the ground and, in fact, ruined.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 05:49 AM   #7
esberelias
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

Bookmarked! I might need this down the road
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 05:40 AM   #8
emraybaylan
Rep

Quote:

Thank you very much.. I took my car to service and told me exactly what you guys have been telling. The problem is torn wires. You guys are really good at locating problems and offering solutions.

I guess I should not drive in DS mode all the time
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 05:55 AM   #9
EzequielR
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emraybaylan
Quote:

http://<div class="youtube-playerCon.../iframe></div>" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<div class="y...ame></div></a>
Thank you very much.. I took my car to service and told me exactly what you guys have been telling. The problem is torn wires. You guys are really good at locating problems and offering solutions.

I guess I should not drive in DS mode all the time
Haha, nothing beats experience. I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue, but just make sure they create slack in the wires as shown in the video and you can switch between D and DS mode a million times with out a single issue, in regard to the wires.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
emraybaylan
Rep

Hey everyone. It costed around 60.$ If you guys are able to fix yourself please do so.. It is a simple task..But still happy that I got it fixed
Appreciate 0