E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > My Intake Tube Mod Explained

01-15-2011, 11:43 PM   #1
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

My Intake Tube Mod Explained

Some of you are curious what I'm using to replace the factory tube from the manifold to the box. I can't blame ya for asking because the silencer delete is a really messy process and it just looks terrible in the end.

Go to an autozone or even home depot or something similar and get either the metal piping (45degree bend and a straight) or the flexible hose from spectre, some couplers, and hose clamps. PVC piping works too. Just make sure whatever you use doesn't transfer heat otherwise your IAT will sky rocket since its so damn close to the engine. The bottom of a coke can is a good reference for the size you'll need.

This isn't rocket science so I don't think Pic's are really necessary. Just know that right now I'm still using the flexible hose and I'm about to transfer to the metal piping to make it look prettier under the hood. It adds a tiny bit of intake sound but not anything like a CAI so don't think its a sound mod. The whole purpose is it eliminate potential turbulent air flow and make it a smooth ride from the box to the manifold. I've noticed slightly better pull since I shit canned the stock tube. It's worth IMO.

Cool? Cool.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.

Last edited by AlpineSwift; 01-15-2011 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Are you not concerned with the heat soak of the metal duct and the subsequent heating of the inlet air?

Factory use plastic material obviously due to it's cost and also the insulating characteristics of the plastic used.

On the Trans Ams we used silicone hose between our air intake boxes and the MAF and between the MAF and throttle bodies.

Got mine from the following site:

http://www.hosetechniques.com/

They actually made the correct pieces for our cars including a 'hump' hose to allow for engine movement between the airbox mounted MAF (mounted to front cowl support) and throttle body (mounted to engine).

They make many types of universal hose including pre-bent molded shapes that may work on our cars. I also use their stainless T-Bolt clamps on my car - they look great when polished and retain the hose better than any clamp out there. I was planning on looking into this for my BMW when spring rolls around...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Aluminum as thin as the tubes are from Autozone aren't as prone to heat soak at others are. If anything plastic has a higher tendency to heat soak. I had an A4 before this car and every plastic part including my intake was heat soaked after a 30 minute canyon run.

I agree that silicone would probably be the best bet, I'm just using whats available here and now. That's why I'm still using the accordian style flex pipe.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 11:35 PM   #4
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport

I thought smooth air flow at the MAF is a good thing, but turbulent air flow into the engine is also a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Guarantee there is no diff on a dyno. Bet money on it.
      01-17-2011, 12:09 AM   #6
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IancoleTX View Post
Guarantee there is no diff on a dyno. Bet money on it.
I wasn't looking to prove it is some miraculous missing piece to the puzzle on the dyno.

All i wanted was a clean, smooth finish from the box to the engine without some stupid extra plastic chamber (silencer) hanging off of it. Why is that so hard to understand?

Someone asked about it in another thread so I posted it up. If you don't think its worth $5 or getting dirt under your finger nails then its no skin off my nose.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
I wasn't looking to prove it is some miraculous missing piece to the puzzle on the dyno.

All i wanted was a clean, smooth finish from the box to the engine without some stupid extra plastic chamber (silencer) hanging off of it. Why is that so hard to understand?

Someone asked about it in another thread so I posted it up. If you don't think its worth $5 or getting dirt under your finger nails then its no skin off my nose.
If it is just about you don't like the look of the extra tube, then he was correct, it is stupid to change it, you can't even see it. I thought you had evidence the mod gains some power.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
If it is just about you don't like the look of the extra tube, then he was correct, it is stupid to change it, you can't even see it. I thought you had evidence the mod gains some power.
If you want more efficient power, it makes sense that this would somehow affect the airflow by eliminating the silly shit silencer. I don't think its gonna be something you'll see. I did notice a little better throttle response doing it. But it's not something amazingly different. It's just one more piece to add to the puzzle for the stock airbox. Don't like it, don't fuck with it. I don't give a shit.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
If you want more efficient power, it makes sense that this would somehow affect the airflow by eliminating the silly shit silencer. I don't think its gonna be something you'll see. I did notice a little better throttle response doing it. But it's not something amazingly different. It's just one more piece to add to the puzzle for the stock airbox. Don't like it, don't fuck with it. I don't give a shit.
I thought your last post said you removed it because you did not like the look of it. I thought what look? It was hard to even see it when you try to.

Better throttle response is good for our NA cars, we do give a shit about that.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
I thought your last post said you removed it because you did not like the look of it. I thought what look? It was hard to even see it when you try to.

Better throttle response is good for our NA cars, we do give a shit about that.
It cleans up the engine bay so its not so full of black plastic bits and it saves you the need to redneck mod the stock tube to eliminate the silencer. If you want your engine bay to be pretty, its a small addition to make it look clean. The bonus is it makes the airflow a straight shot from the box to the manifold. No silencer or other BS to screw with.

I cut the silencer off my stock tube and glued on a cap to seal the hole left behind. Didn't like the end result so I just replaced the whole thing with a clean smooth pipe. Does it make sense now? I don't see ANY draw backs for such a cheap, simple mod that I feel makes the engine perform more consistently and just that little bit better than stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 11:39 PM   #11
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

thanks for the info.

i was considering doing this just to make the intake a littler more throaty since the whole car (325i in my case) is so quiet (k&n drop in, charcoal delete, stock exhaust on my ride).

wonder if there is a bmw oem part from another car that's similar in size but with no silencer.
      01-18-2011, 01:16 AM   #12
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Like I said before, it does make a difference in the sound but its a slight difference. With an exhaust I'm not sure you would notice it.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #13
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Why not just pop on a cone filter from eBay for like 80 bucks?
      01-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IancoleTX View Post
Why not just pop on a cone filter from eBay for like 80 bucks?
Why not just lose a shit load of power in the process and realize your idea is completely retarded?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #15
5erman
Banned
Rep
Drives: black 5 series

Dont dismiss the silencer so quickly regarding effects on performance. A hemoltz resonator is simply a chamber of certain dimensions of air that are desiged for specific wavelengths. However this chamber enables a pocket of air to be available for the engine and creates a partial vacuum. Sometimes in various cars removing this piece actually worsens performance or throttle response. I would never delete this
Appreciate 0