E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Need Help with installing a 2nd hand RemoteKey+ please!!

01-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Need Help with installing a 2nd hand RemoteKey+ please!!

Hey guys,

I purchased this Remote Key+ second hand from a member here on the forums.

I have gone through the installation manual found online and laid everything out to be sure it was all correct.

I have the following problems with the harness(es) though and I need advice on how to remedy it.

1. The wires leading from the beeper are very short. They terminate in a pin of some sort that I cannot figure where they should plug into. My guess is, this is not how it should be and that the harness coming out of the speaker was modified at some point. Can anyone confirm this for me and suggest a remedy if someone cut it too short at some point? Would I have to replace the entire beeper? Could I simply extend the wire? If I can extend it, I'm not sure where it should be plugged into. The instructions simply state to plug it into a harness, but I'm not sure if this harness is missing, or if I'm not understanding it correctly. If it is to plug into the harness that comes with the RemoteKey+, it will sit more or less inside the car under the glove box making the wires WAY too short to come close to reaching that.

My guess is that it has something to do with where my harness has 2 wires cut off of it, (see next issue)

Pic 1: The short length of the wire coming out of my beeper.

Pic 2: Instructions showing where the wire from the beeper connects to, only problem is I dont have this, I'm assuming its the two wires cut off from my harness but I need confirmation please.

2. The 4 wires that connect underneath the glove box seem to be okay. However, there is a black and a red wire that is cut on my harness, and I'm not sure that that should be that way. My guess is someone cut this at some point because they were too lazy to pull the wire going to the beeper under the hood through the firewall. They cut it so close to the connector, I'm not sure I will be able to easily extend it with a butt connector. Can anyone at least confirm though that these are the wires that SHOULD be going to the beeper?

3. There are two wires that go up to the rear view mirror. I cannot tell in the pictures of the installation, are these two wires supposed to have pins on them? All I have are two wires (gray and red) that are cut off on the end. The instructions say where it should plug into the pin on the connector that plugs into the mirror, and it makes sense, I do get that. But I'm assuming I'm missing the pins because I otherwise then do not know how to plug these wires into the pin in the mirror?

Pic 1: What I have coming out of the RemoteKey+ Harness. I'm assuming there should be some kind of pin here that I could shove into the actual clip of the car's harness/connector)

Pic 2: The pic from the instructions showing the connector going to the mirror that this should be connecting to.

4. Lastly, The important part here is the actual RemoteKey Module, of which I do have and seems to be okay. The harnesses needed here seem to be my big problem. Is there anyway I can purchase a new set of JUST the wiring for this RemoteKey+ unit if this is deemed to be un-salvageable?

I have contacted Mods4Cars to ask them, but I haven't heard back yet. Does anyone have any experience working with them? Are they usually pretty responsive/accommodating?

I would sincerely appreciate any/all advice you guys may be able to offer!!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

neyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Well just fyi in case anyone ever ends up in the same situation and finds this post.

the two wires cut ARE for the speaker. someone cut it off before it was sold to me.

Its too short and would be a pain in the ass to extend.

I haven't decided if i will purchase a replacement harness just yet... its $60+ $7 shipping. Item number: H-BW2 Wiring Harness for RKLFBW1 -- from mods4cars.com
Appreciate 0