E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Devilsown Meth + Procede???

07-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
qubansailor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Devilsown Meth + Procede???

After doing as much homework as I can on my own, I've arrived a little road block. I want to install meth with my procede but of course they say I can't hook it up without their PWM kit. Others have installed meth using jb4 +FSB.

Has anyone tried tying non-pwm kits to the procede (as failsafe and/or tune) or am I stuck having to use the DO FSB? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
dirtmaster666
"J" BONE
Canada
Rep

I would recommend just doing the Pwm Vishnu kit. I have it and it runs flawlessly. I believe when running meth to run what is proven. Meth can be a finicky thing
procede v5 rev3, afe dual cone intake, full catless exhaust with muffler delete, hm style carbon fibre lip, 235/35/19,275/30/19 satin black linea corse818, H&R sport springs, Vishnu charge pipe with forged diverter valves, matte black kidneys, mtec superwhite angel eyes and fogs, bms cdv ER fmic, VRSF coated DP. Vishnu pwm meth kit
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / E86 M Coupe

At the end of the day, all a meth system really is, is just a tank, a pump, some lines, and a nozzle. You could buy all DO stuff and just have the pump controlled by a JB4 FSB or PWM or whatever.
      07-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
qubansailor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjaws View Post
At the end of the day, all a meth system really is, is just a tank, a pump, some lines, and a nozzle. You could buy all DO stuff and just have the pump controlled by a JB4 FSB or PWM or whatever.
Thats what im thinking but im just trying to figure out how I can have the procede control meth. I dont want to have to go through the trouble of selling my stuff and trying to find a PWM system.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Lots of people use Non-pwm kits with procede. the original vishnu kit was not the pwm kit. I still use their original PPS kit.

Mods to the original Vishnu kit:

1) The original Labonte flow sensor failed, so I bought the much better aquamist flow sensor.
2) Downsized the tank from 4qt to 3qt.
3) Ditched the original wireless switch to turn the system on and wired in a switch in the cabin.

The procede user adjustable settings are there for a non-pwm (pps) kit. You just run the wire from the flow sensor to the procede and change the settings appropriately. I would highly recommend the newest Aquamist flow sensor if you go the PPS kit route.

If interested in the aquamist flow sensor start reading page 4-7 of this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=622947&page=4

I think there was a progression to how the wiring in of the 0-5v signal goes into the procede harness, so the procede knows how much meth is flowing and transitions from map1 settings to map2 settings (while on map4 - methanol map). Based on whatever version of the procede harness you have you would need to ask what is the right way to wire in the flow signal.

Last edited by scottp999; 07-20-2013 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
JAL0988
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i, 2022 X5 M50i

Hate to sound like a newb but what is an FSB? I want meth too and I'm trying to gather all the info.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
qubansailor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So you used the aquamist flow sensor to tap into the procede to have the procede act as the FSB (using map4). Is that correct scott?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Yes, I have the aquamist flow sensor to replace the original Labonte IFS 30(Injection Fail Safe) box that came with the original Vishnu PPS type meth kit. I still have the original Labonte VC25 that reads the boost and drives the pump output based on the boost settings.

The aquamist flow sensor is the best option out there for a fail safe in conjunction with the procede software when using a PPS style meth system.

refer to that thread I posted above. You will see the model I ordered from howerton engineering and the testing to get the voltage output correct for the procede. With older models you had to wire in resistors to cut the voltage for the procede. The newer ones like i have include a dial to change the voltage, so no external resistors needed. Works great with procede out of the box.

When you are comfortable with how it works from reading that thread. This is the one to order: http://www.howertonengineering.net/p...B47%7Dmin.html

it has this aquamist part number on it: 806-428H. Howerton's part number is HE505

Last edited by scottp999; 08-14-2013 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
qubansailor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sweet! That's the best news I've heard so far in my venture. Just to be certain I have everything required, is there anything else I need to run the kit? ie DO progressive controller? Also, would you have the wiring diagram for your setup? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
qubansailor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAL0988 View Post
Hate to sound like a newb but what is an FSB? I want meth too and I'm trying to gather all the info.
FSB=Fail Safe Box/Board
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by qubansailor View Post
Sweet! That's the best news I've heard so far in my venture. Just to be certain I have everything required, is there anything else I need to run the kit? ie DO progressive controller? Also, would you have the wiring diagram for your setup? Thanks!
Right, you will need the progressive controller to read your boost and send that reading to drive the pump output based on how you set the boost points.

On that link I have posted above, read all the pages starting at page 4 before you start to wire it up, lots of discussion on wiring.

To give you some comfort on wiring the aquamist unit, it is this easy:

First connect your meth lines
1 wire goes to power
1 wire goes to procede to send it the voltage reading
1 wire goes to ground

For me, with a DO12 nozzle i run a Injection Mode of 34 in the procede software (map 4).

Last edited by scottp999; 08-14-2013 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
at the end of the day, all a meth system really is, is just a tank, a pump, some lines, and a nozzle. You could buy all DO stuff and just have the pump controlled by a JB4 FSB or PWM or whatever.
Not really man, if you want a leaking system that leaks, sucks air and you have to purge all the time and deal with meth flow issues. It is just not "line", the line is your life line. I have taken a great deal of time making my system....but it is flawless and doesn't leak, suck air. Also a fitting is not just a fitting. I would never use push in fittings either. I agree with you on the pump.....the tank is also a huge consideration....Howerton engineering makes the best.
Attached Images

JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
robc1976 is the man when it comes to doing stuff the best way possible. My basic kit is doing ok for my car which is just a weekend car, that lives in the garage 99.9% of the time. Everyone should definitely look into upgrading fittings, meth lines, etc. when you can. Always inspect your system, check tuning logs, etc. on an interval you are comfortable is best.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #14
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
robc1976 is the man when it comes to doing stuff the best way possible. My basic kit is doing ok for my car which is just a weekend car, that lives in the garage 99.9% of the time. Everyone should definitely look into upgrading fittings, meth lines, etc. when you can. Always inspect your system, check tuning logs, etc. on an interval you are comfortable is best.
I appreciate that my friend...Agreed, fittings should be upgraded to compression fittings at least. I believe "AN" to be best.
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #15
qubansailor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

@rob. I saw your setup of this, looks real CLEAN!! Great job! Curious, what kind of power are you putting down?

@scott. Would my DO controller = VC-25?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #16
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
@rob. I saw your setup of this, looks real CLEAN!! Great job! Curious, what kind of power are you putting down?

I dynoed with my first system and it had flow issues....I believe it was 512/506.....I would have the slip if my wouldn't have cleaned out the car....my fault but I was like lol! I will by going to the dyno here in a few weeks when I get my new rims.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #17
qubansailor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That's awesome! Haven't heard much about the Walbro LPFP, does that help or is just a good replacement part?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #18
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Quote:

Not sure. I glanced at the DO DVC 30, is that what you have?

Best to compare what you have to the Labonte VC25 to see if comparable. Make sure because these controllers are expensive. Best thing about them is the don't see any liquid so they last a long time.

Edit - looks like DVC30 converts map voltage to a boost reading, where the Labonte actually reads boost from a boost line. So you will need to ask around to someone else on which progressive controller from DO is a good fit. Sorry, not sure on that DO hardware as I don't have any experience with it.

Someone scanned and posted the entire Labonte VC25 manual here:

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...-combo-147530/

Last edited by scottp999; 08-14-2013 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #19
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Normally I would agree but after playing around with methanol for quite a few years you will realize how many failure points are likely in your "Basic" methanol setup.

Over the years I replaced so many aspects of the kit I should have just made my own from scratch and just sourced a generic pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
Not really man, if you want a leaking system that leaks, sucks air and you have to purge all the time and deal with meth flow issues. It is just not "line", the line is your life line. I have taken a great deal of time making my system....but it is flawless and doesn't leak, suck air. Also a fitting is not just a fitting. I would never use push in fittings either. I agree with you on the pump.....the tank is also a huge consideration....Howerton engineering makes the best.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #20
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

I started with a DevilsOwn basic kit, still holding up today. To failsafe with Procede you will need a flow sensor for methanol safety though... although the flow sensors that are compatible with the Procede are iffy at best. I think the Aquamist flow sensor has good reviews but I've heard of those failing as well. I'd consider biting the bullet on the PWM meth kit / charge pipe or switching tunes.
      08-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #21
qubansailor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This is what I have planned thus far:
1. DO kit (single DO10 nozzle)
2. DO progressive controller
3. Aquamist flow sensor (which will tap into the procede)
4. 2.5 gl tank w/ float sensor

If you think I'm forgetting anything or have any special considerations please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #22
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Quote:
This is what I have planned thus far:
1. DO kit (single DO10 nozzle)
2. DO progressive controller
3. Aquamist flow sensor (which will tap into the procede)
4. 2.5 gl tank w/ float sensor

If you think I'm forgetting anything or have any special considerations please let me know.
I think that is good for a PPS kit that will work with the procede, and also be able to migrate to the BMS piggyback should you ever choose that route. Just find someone to help you with the DO progressive controller connections. Once it is setup, go read rob's threads on improving the connectors.

The PWM systems are good, I have one sitting in the garage (vishnu) and have not installed it in a couple years. Right now basically serving as a box with a 2nd pump in case mine quits.

Vishnu PWM is not really transferable to another tune as I understand it, although you can use some parts to build something else.

Aquamist HFS-4 is another good PWM system that can be used with more than 1 tune.

I like my PPS for now, served me well for a few years so far. If ever feel the need may go with Aquamist HFS-4 sometime in the future.
Appreciate 0