E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Loan Car... in MANUAL!

12-13-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Loan Car... in MANUAL!

Just took my car into service today - and this is what I got. Never knew they stocked loan cars with the 6MT but my SA was awesome enough to give me one without asking.

I've never driven a diesel in manual before and it was an interesting experience. The auto stop-start function is a bit disconcerting at first but after a few traffic lights it's so seamless that you don't notice it. It's also smart enough so that if you start it up again to creep forward at the lights, it won't shut off the engine when you stop again.
Attached Images

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black

Last edited by Jeef Beef; 12-14-2010 at 04:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Cool~!

Was wondering, is it possible to 'request' certain loan vehicles when going for a service?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Niiiice! My loaner vehicle was also black!

They have loaner cars at my dealership with manual trannies, too. I told them I drove manual, so they gave me a 2010 e90 335i to putter around the neighborhood. Awesome feeling! Made me realize the suspension on my '07 e90 was wearing out...Time for M3 bits!

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

pretty good loaner!

what's the name of your sa again jeff, is it charlie??

I'm going to get my car done at worthingtons on your recommendations lol... just gotta find the time to make the trek to gosford :S
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
Cool~!

Was wondering, is it possible to 'request' certain loan vehicles when going for a service?
It really depends on your dealership and your service advisor. Worthingtons always gives me a great choice of loan vehicles and my SA looks after me well.

This time I didn't even have to ask, he just brought it around the front and said "I know you'll like this." This is why I make the trek to Gosford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip4335 View Post
Niiiice! My loaner vehicle was also black!

They have loaner cars at my dealership with manual trannies, too. I told them I drove manual, so they gave me a 2010 e90 335i to putter around the neighborhood. Awesome feeling! Made me realize the suspension on my '07 e90 was wearing out...Time for M3 bits!
Most of the loan cars in other dealerships around Sydney are 118i or 120i's - NOT awesome feeling.

They must really look after you guys over there in the US!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
pretty good loaner!

what's the name of your sa again jeff, is it charlie??

I'm going to get my car done at worthingtons on your recommendations lol... just gotta find the time to make the trek to gosford :S
Yep, SA's name is Charlie. Real nice youngish guy who knows who actually has a passion for BMWs and knows what's going on.

The drive up is really nice - not a chore at all. Definitely worth a visit even if it is to just compare your experience at dealerships in Sydney.

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

cool..on an aside didn't know that manual is on order now atleast with the 3 series..when I bought mine in 2006, I paid about $2800 extra for the steptronic option over manual but now hear that steptronic is standard and manual is on special order?..does it cost extra too? Guess times have changed but in most countries I guess manual is standard and steptronic costs extra.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

I believe manual is a NCO.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 08:39 PM   #8
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Manual is definitely standard on all 1-series models - Steptronic adds $2,700. Most cars in Australia come with auto already optioned so it's very hard to find a manual car.

Not too certain about the 3er, but I think the 320i and 323i has manual standard, with auto being a $2,700 option. All the diesels and 325i upwards for the E90 has auto standard.

As for the E92, manual is the standard tranny for all models. Auto adds $2,700 extra, DCT some other large amount.

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #9
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Oops yeh that sounds correct Jeff, what I meant was if the auto is standard, I believe manual is a NCO which answers Sanjay's question about if manual costs more when an auto is the std tranny.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #10
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Once I needed a loaner at very short notice and they worriedly asked if I'd mind a manual - sif. Anyway when I got there it was only a Steptronic

Give me a 120d M for the day and I'm a very happy man. The other beauty was a 323i Lifestyle - what a stunning car that is. Sure, misses a little of the go of the 325i and 320d but so refined. Compact luxury with spark.

Jeef Beef - how was the ride in the 123d vs yours? Press reckons they are lame.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #11
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

So auto is standard now right unlike before when manual was the default? If you wanted a manual now they make you pay for it indirectly by charging the same as standard auto and offering it as a no cost option? Should have cost 2800 less if didn't opt for the steptronic which was how it was right?...think they just found a way to make some money out of it all if I understood it right
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 10:23 PM   #12
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Did they not find it weird that you were taking pics of the car while still at the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 11:47 PM   #13
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

I've just booked in for a service with Worthingtons in the new year!

Is it a given that they'll supply a loaner or do I need to request one? It's 'free of charge' right ie built into the rather high price of the service?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 01:50 AM   #14
TaylorA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335

Auto Classic here in Perth charge for a loan car. I think it's a f@%#ing joke, and if it wasn't for my love of the marque, i'd buy something different. Are they the only dealership in the country that does this?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 02:00 AM   #15
MO3
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorA View Post
Auto Classic here in Perth charge for a loan car. I think it's a f@%#ing joke, and if it wasn't for my love of the marque, i'd buy something different. Are they the only dealership in the country that does this?
I was given the option of paying $35 per day for the loaner if I wanted to bring the insurance excess down to $650 or I can have the loaner for free but the excess would be $2500. It was a 2010 Mini which I had from Friday to Monday.
      12-14-2010, 02:14 AM   #16
orey
Banned
Rep
Drives: the forums

bib stealwell gives you a loaner if you are willing to wait an extra month, i.e. wanted to book a service for the next week on the 14th but if i wanted a loaner i would have to wait for the 14th of the next month....

worst customer service ive encountered but thats a story for another thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 05:04 AM   #17
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
I've just booked in for a service with Worthingtons in the new year!

Is it a given that they'll supply a loaner or do I need to request one? It's 'free of charge' right ie built into the rather high price of the service?
Nice one. Did you speak with Charlie? He should hook you up with a pretty sweet loaner. Loaners from Worthington are completely free of charge. I don't even have to fill it up when I bring it back, but I tend to do so out of courtesy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orey View Post
bib stealwell gives you a loaner if you are willing to wait an extra month, i.e. wanted to book a service for the next week on the 14th but if i wanted a loaner i would have to wait for the 14th of the next month....

worst customer service ive encountered but thats a story for another thread.
They obviously don't have enough vehicles in the service fleet, or they're telling you bullshit. I literally booked 1 week in advance, and I selected the day for my own convenience.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 05:05 AM   #18
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep

Dunno about going back to BMW Syd... Gonna give Worthingtons a shot for sure. Aaaaaaaaages away but who cares.

Although they have given me a couple of decent loaners. I got them FOC, but not sure whether thats because they stuffed up so much. Also got next service FOC so tossing up whether to actually go back or not. I don't want to.. but something for free!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 05:07 AM   #19
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post
Jeef Beef - how was the ride in the 123d vs yours? Press reckons they are lame.
Dunno what the journalists are on about - probably just aren't warming up to a diesel performance alternative.

There's plenty of torque in the midrange to have sufficient fun. Driving back on OPH was equally as entertaining as my car - minus a couple of thousand revs and aural sountrack of course.

The diesel has longer gearing than my car - so initially I found myself in too high a gear when cruising. However, due to the lack of revs, I tended to use a higher gear compared to my car when going through the twisties. Since the 123d pulls best from about 2k rpm, I tended to take 2nd gear corners on 3rd gear etc.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 05:57 AM   #20
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
Dunno about going back to BMW Syd... Gonna give Worthingtons a shot for sure. Aaaaaaaaages away but who cares.

Although they have given me a couple of decent loaners. I got them FOC, but not sure whether thats because they stuffed up so much. Also got next service FOC so tossing up whether to actually go back or not. I don't want to.. but something for free!
If it's free just go back there!

Otherwise come to worthingtons with me on January 3
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 06:01 AM   #21
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep

Probably take them up on the free service offer but then thats it. Unless I get lazy and cbb to go far. BMW Syd is so close.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #22
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
Nice one. Did you speak with Charlie? He should hook you up with a pretty sweet loaner. Loaners from Worthington are completely free of charge. I don't even have to fill it up when I bring it back, but I tend to do so out of courtesy.
Yep I did speak to Charlie, I'll call up just before I go in to make sure a loaner is available.

I'm going in for a basic oil change/minor service, how much do you think that will cost me??
Appreciate 0