E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Disconnecting fuel line from fuel rail



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
simon
Private
 
simon's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 Montego Blue 328i
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 99
iTrader: (1)

Disconnecting fuel line from fuel rail

Hello,
I broke my crank case breather hose when replacing my valve cover gasket. Now I'm trying to remove my intake manifold to replace that. How in the world do you remove the fuel line from the fuel rail?? There is no obvious clamping method and Bentley just says "disconnect and remove"

Thanks!
Simon
simon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
Modded328FTW
Private First Class
 
Drives: 328
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada

Posts: 101
iTrader: (0)

You don't need to remove that when replacing the manifold. There is just 1 screw towards the rear of the car that has to be removed. It is a bracket that is connected onto the manifold (near top)

Take a look at this diy:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455180
Modded328FTW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Juiced46
Major
 
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wallingford CT

Posts: 1,023
iTrader: (3)

pull the plastic release towards the firewall. It helps if you push the fuel line towards the front of the car slightly until it releases then just disconnect. Its very simple
Juiced46 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
simon
Private
 
simon's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 Montego Blue 328i
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 99
iTrader: (1)

thanks guys. I ended up getting it done without disconnecting the fuel line, like Modded328 suggested. I replaced the vent hose and the IM, now my car doesn't idle and I hear an ear piercing hissing. Does the IM manifold gasket have to be replaced when replacing the manifold? I look online and I can't see a part for it. I see there are like 6 individual o-rings in each port, are they replaceable? All dealer parts are closed on Sundays, and no aftermarket places seem to have it.

This valve cover gasket change is the biggest PITA ever.

I appreciate the responses.
simon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
Juiced46
Major
 
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wallingford CT

Posts: 1,023
iTrader: (3)

Why did you replace the intake manifold?? Your car isnt idling because you have a vacuum leak, that is the hissing noise. . The gaskets are reusable on the intake manifold. Make sure the oil cap is on there correctly and locked. Where do you hear the hissing noise coming from?
Juiced46 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
simon
Private
 
simon's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 Montego Blue 328i
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 99
iTrader: (1)

I removed the intake manifold because i broke the crank case vent hose when replacing the valve cover gasket. The IM needs to be removed to replace the vent hose.

Good to know about the gaskets, I guess.
simon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
Juiced46
Major
 
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wallingford CT

Posts: 1,023
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon View Post
I replaced the vent hose and the IM, now my car doesn't idle
I am aware how the line connects. Sorry just misunderstood the above quote. It sounded like you replaced the intake manifold as well.

Where do you hear the hissing noise coming from?
Juiced46 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
simon
Private
 
simon's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 Montego Blue 328i
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 99
iTrader: (1)

I can't really tell where the hissing comes from to be perfectly frank. It's ear piercing and I can't bear to have it on for long.

I don't know where else it could be coming from other than he intake manifold, all I did was replace valve cover, crank case vent hose, and intake manifold. Could crank case vent hose issue cause this?

I really appreciate your help.

Simon
simon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
Juiced46
Major
 
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wallingford CT

Posts: 1,023
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon View Post
I can't really tell where the hissing comes from to be perfectly frank. It's ear piercing and I can't bear to have it on for long.

I don't know where else it could be coming from other than he intake manifold, all I did was replace valve cover, crank case vent hose, and intake manifold. Could crank case vent hose issue cause this?

I really appreciate your help.

Simon
I thought you didnt replace the intake manifold? You just said you did again lol

Yes the crank case vent hose can cause this. If its not clipped on properly or cracked it will do this. Also the crank case vent valve if its bad it can do this.
Juiced46 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
simon
Private
 
simon's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 Montego Blue 328i
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 99
iTrader: (1)

Sorry if I'm being unclear. Here's what I did:

1. Broke crank case vent hose
2. Broke entire valve cover (it came off in pieces, wtf)
3. Installed new valve cover and gaskets
4. Removed IM and replaced crank cent hose
5. Reinstalled IM, and all other parts
6. Start car and hear ear piercing hissing and violent idle surge

I think idle surge may be cause by crank vent hose and hissing by improper IM installation / bad gasket. Seem reasonable?

Thanks again.

Simon
simon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
Juiced46
Major
 
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wallingford CT

Posts: 1,023
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon View Post
Sorry if I'm being unclear. Here's what I did:

1. Broke crank case vent hose
2. Broke entire valve cover (it came off in pieces, wtf)
3. Installed new valve cover and gaskets
4. Removed IM and replaced crank cent hose
5. Reinstalled IM, and all other parts
6. Start car and hear ear piercing hissing and violent idle surge

I think idle surge may be cause by crank vent hose and hissing by improper IM installation / bad gasket. Seem reasonable?

Thanks again.

Simon

The surging idle is because of a vacuum leak, the vacuum leak is the hissing you are hearing.

Many things can cause that. If the valve cover was not installed correctly, if the valve cover gasket came out of place somewhere, the crank case vent hose not clipped on properly, oil cap not latched on properly, intake air tube not connected to the throttle valve properly etc.

Did you put all the bolts into the valve cover in the correct spots? There are 4 different style bolts on that cover. Did the valve cover gasket fall out of the back of the cover near the firewall? This sometimes can happen.

Easiest way to find the leak is to smoke test it, but I doubt you will have a smoke machine.

I highly highly doubt its a bad intake manifold gasket. They are reuseable and never really go bad.

Something went wrong with the install. There is a leak for sure somewhere and that is causing your hissing and surging idle. You need to figure out where that leak is and problem solved. I hope you didnt crack that new valve cover installing it.
Juiced46 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2013, 01:37 AM   #12
simon
Private
 
simon's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 Montego Blue 328i
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 99
iTrader: (1)

Juiced, I owe you a beer or something. I went down and ran the car to try and figure out where the hissing was. Suddenly it started smoking. I shut the car off and saw oil all over the passenger exhaust mani, then I saw the gasket on the right rear corner by the DME was flattened and sticking out.

I got sick to my stomach and extremely frustrated. The second time around went way better and now the car runs great and no leaks, took awhile to burn all that oil off though!

I have to say this was a nightmare of a DYI, maybe I'm just a dummy.

Thanks again for your help, feels great to have the car working again.

Simon
simon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #13
Juiced46
Major
 
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wallingford CT

Posts: 1,023
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon View Post
Juiced, I owe you a beer or something. I went down and ran the car to try and figure out where the hissing was. Suddenly it started smoking. I shut the car off and saw oil all over the passenger exhaust mani, then I saw the gasket on the right rear corner by the DME was flattened and sticking out.

I got sick to my stomach and extremely frustrated. The second time around went way better and now the car runs great and no leaks, took awhile to burn all that oil off though!

I have to say this was a nightmare of a DYI, maybe I'm just a dummy.

Thanks again for your help, feels great to have the car working again.

Simon
Glad you got it figured out.

The first time doing it, it can be a pain in the ass. There are a few tricks to making it much simpler without breaking anything. For me its easy, but I take these off 5+ times a week. Glad its all sorted out though.
Juiced46 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST