E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > The revival of my 'new' turbo e36 M3....

04-23-2009, 08:35 AM   #45
twinturboa51
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F80 M3

04-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #46
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Nice job! thats a great car!

i just have to say LOL at your shirt...

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #47
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScheerSpeed View Post
Nice job! thats a great car!

i just have to say LOL at your shirt...

LOL....my favorite shirt from back in my college days
      04-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #48
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

ok, updating.

Finally got the car "completed" with the current round of mods.

Now you can really see the shine and condition of the paint out on the road...under the sun.

enjoy!

=================

from today's BMW CCA spring tour for the national chapter. I will post up a bunch of photos from today, some awesome cars, great weather and beautiful locations and fun roads, cant ask for more!

tweaked the suspension a little more last night AND got my new seats installed...love them. There is a little more room to bring it down in the front, but I want to be careful with it...have to keep in mind there is a downpipe hanging low....dont want to tear that off!

no room for lowering here!

Corbeau CR1's are in...love these seats. Honestly, they are more comfortable to me than the Vaders, put almost 6 hours and 300 miles into these seats today and my back feels great! Could not say that w the Vaders. Important to get the optional adjustable lumbar supports if you buy these seats...big help.

Corbeau has aluminum insert rings for the harness holes...you guys think those would look good?

I'll get better interior shots sometime soon

05-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #49
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Amazing work man ... What a sweet car it turned out to be
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #50
M3SWEETNESS
Watch This!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Very nice E36, makes me truly miss mine....
      12-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #51
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

bump

car is a totally different beast now.

will be doing a full polish/detail in the next few weeks and will document on here. I want to wetsand the entire hood, it was repainted last summer when I hit a freakin deer. Hood has 5x more orange peel than the OEM paint, it kills me. Can I get that out w a proper wetsand? What grit/grits should I use?

I hope to pick up a rotary to really get a few of the bad scratches out, never used one before. I am at the end of what a PC can do and its time to up the game for sure.

polishes I have in stock, what else should I get:

Menz
SIP
106FF

Megs

recent shots, car hasnt seen polish since 4-5-09:

12-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #52
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Still looks amazing. Because the gentleman I work with has a highly modded e36 M3, I know how fun these cars can be, and how great a polished one looks out on the road in the sea of bland modern cars that aren't half as clean. I love seeing a not-so-new car in better-than-new condition. There's nothing like it.

As far as going to a rotary, that's always an option, but be advised it's probably not needed. Newer techniques and equipment have made the standard DA into a beast of a machine that has the ability to cut more and finish down as good or better than a rotary. I'd say we use DA's 80%+ of the time, when we used to use them maybe 20% of the time we'd be polishing.
In addition to your PC potentially being fine for your wet-sanding project, it should also be fine to handle any light swirls that have happened since the last time you worked the paint, so there's no need to change machines for the rest of the body I'd think.

You'll surely want to pick up some Meguiar's 205, and aside from that the wildcard (IMHO) would be a product like 3M "Ultrafina" AKA Ultra Fine Machine Polish. Of course you'll need pads, to include Surbuf pads if you plan on using the DA for the heavy cutting and such.

If you have any questions that I can potentially help you with, let me know. Good luck and I look forward to the next group of pics!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 07:22 AM   #53
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
Still looks amazing. Because the gentleman I work with has a highly modded e36 M3, I know how fun these cars can be, and how great a polished one looks out on the road in the sea of bland modern cars that aren't half as clean. I love seeing a not-so-new car in better-than-new condition. There's nothing like it.

As far as going to a rotary, that's always an option, but be advised it's probably not needed. Newer techniques and equipment have made the standard DA into a beast of a machine that has the ability to cut more and finish down as good or better than a rotary. I'd say we use DA's 80%+ of the time, when we used to use them maybe 20% of the time we'd be polishing.
In addition to your PC potentially being fine for your wet-sanding project, it should also be fine to handle any light swirls that have happened since the last time you worked the paint, so there's no need to change machines for the rest of the body I'd think.

You'll surely want to pick up some Meguiar's 205, and aside from that the wildcard (IMHO) would be a product like 3M "Ultrafina" AKA Ultra Fine Machine Polish. Of course you'll need pads, to include Surbuf pads if you plan on using the DA for the heavy cutting and such.

If you have any questions that I can potentially help you with, let me know. Good luck and I look forward to the next group of pics!
205 would be a finer cut to follow the 105 correct? would the 106FF not work ok for that?

which pads would you recommend and what are Surbuf pads?

I havent been into the detailing scene as often over the past 2 years but I do thoroughly enjoy it and do feel like I have a knack for it .
      12-07-2010, 11:07 AM   #54
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

If you want to stick to Menz polishes get some 85RD, actually get it anyway for a final jeweling. Could do all 3 Menzs with appropriate pads/Glaze and seal, that would be shiny and slippery. If using the Megs 105/205/85rd/Glaze and seal same affect IMO. Top with whatever you like the looks of or have.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 12:20 PM   #55
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
If you want to stick to Menz polishes get some 85RD, actually get it anyway for a final jeweling. Could do all 3 Menzs with appropriate pads/Glaze and seal, that would be shiny and slippery. If using the Megs 105/205/85rd/Glaze and seal same affect IMO. Top with whatever you like the looks of or have.

ok i'll get some 85rd
      12-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #56
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

I think you'll like the results of the 85RD, it finishes down really nicely, tons of gloss.
Appreciate 0