E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > BMW in 2013 ALMS Confirmation

10-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

There have been some rumors in the past that BMW would be leaving ALMS and focus only on DTM. More recently rumors have started that BMW would stay in ALMS but switch from the M3 to some sort of Z4 based vehicle. However there hasn't been much info from BMW regarding if they will even participate next year. I am glad to report that BMW has confirmed via twitter that they will continue racing in ALMS. This still leaves the question of what car they will use. Personally I doubt they will continue to use the E92 M3, and I am 99.999% sure they wont run a F80 M3 since it wont be released in time for ALMS duty. So that leaves the Z4.

However there is one problem. The only motorsport version of the Z4 is the Z4 GT3 which uses a 4.4L V8. Obviously since there is no Z4M with a V8 this doesn't follow spirit of ALMS's rules. But since the Viper got to use such a large displacement engine maybe they are willing to come up with compromises to keep manufacturers in the series.

"@BMWUSARacing: Quite a good ending to a very competitive season! Now, the preparations begin for the 2013 Season."

"@BMWUSARacing: Thank you to all our loyal BMW fans. We do this for you! Stay tuned for announcements on next years program before the end of the year."

Last edited by bimmerjph; 10-21-2012 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Great news! Bring on the Z4! Looking forward to Laguna Seca in 2013!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

that penalty really killed them at todays race : (
      10-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21
that penalty really killed them at todays race : (
+1 they were in the position to win. I bet Auberland feels terrible about it. Oh well BMW held on to 2nd in the team and manufacturers championship. But more importantly Corvette didn't win. I despise Corvette after what happened at Road America.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #5
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

If they let BMW run the Z4 GT3 with the 4.4L, it is complete BS. Do I want to see BMW leave ALMS...no. But they should not be able to run a V8 in a Z4. If they want to sell efficient dynamics and have the next M3/M4 with a turbo 6-cylinder. Then man the f*ck up and develop a new car for ALMS. Using the Viper as an example to allow BMW to circumvent homologation rules that are in place because of BMW and the old E46 GTR...is a joke. It is one thing to let the SRT Viper run an 8.0 V10 with an air restrictor, even though the GT class has a 5.5L displacement limit. But to let BMW run a car that simply does not exist in the dealerships is not right. It completely defeats the intent of the series, "race it on Sunday, sell it on Monday."

Last edited by M3_WC; 10-23-2012 at 12:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
Silver E90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
"@BMWUSARacing: Quite a good ending to a very competitive season! Now, the preparations begin for the 2013 Season."

"@BMWUSARacing: Thank you to all our loyal BMW fans. We do this for you! Stay tuned for announcements on next years program before the end of the year."
I saw those same tweets after the race on Saturday night and while they sound encouraging along with Rahal's comments from qualifying I'm not going to get my hopes up until I hear it from Jens Marquardt himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
If they let BMW run the Z4 GT3 with the 4.4L, it is complete BS. Do I want to see BMW leave ALMS...no. But they should not be able to run a V8 in a Z4. If they want to sell efficient dynamics and have the next M3/M4 with a turbo 6-cylinder. Then man the f*ck up and develop a new car for ALMS. Using the Viper as an example to allow BMW to circumvent homologation rules that are in place because of BMW and the old E46 GTR...is a joke. It is one thing to let the SRT Viper run an 8.0 V10 with an air restrictor, even though the GT class has a 5.5L displacement limit. But to let BMW run a car that simply does not exist in the dealerships is not right. It completely defeats the intent of the series, "race it on Sunday, sell it on Monday."
I'm a big fan of the RLL guys and BMW and would love to see them continue in the ALMS and maybe, just maybe let them run at the 24 Hours of Le Mans once. But I agree 100% with M3_WC. If you are so damn determined to turbocharge everything in the current line-up of cars and tell the customers that is the future, especially the M cars, then prove it on the track. There is a reason why very few manufacturers try to race with turbocharged engines, they are not reliable. This is a chance for BMW to lead and prove the reliability of their direction they are taking. I think a win with a turbocharged Z4 at either Sebring or Le Mans would mean much more to the brand then a Z4 with the M3 S65 shoehorned in. That's what the purpose of racing and Le Mans is, to prove the technology of the cars.

But my guess is they will get a waiver for the engine, reduce some of the aero that the GT3 version has and that way the ALMS/Grand-AM will stay in the good graces of BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
Silver E90
Private First Class
Rep

One more thought. Does anybody else find it hypocritical of BMW to use the Z4 for their motorsports car? They don't even have a street Z4M and they race Z4s with giant ///Ms on the sides of the cars. I'd love to see a Z4M with the M3 engine in it, that would give the motorsports program a lot more credibility to me.

Sorry I'll end my rant.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
jsedlak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver E90 View Post
One more thought. Does anybody else find it hypocritical of BMW to use the Z4 for their motorsports car? They don't even have a street Z4M and they race Z4s with giant ///Ms on the sides of the cars. I'd love to see a Z4M with the M3 engine in it, that would give the motorsports program a lot more credibility to me.

Sorry I'll end my rant.
I agree.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
Itgb
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91

Good news, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the E92 M3 again next year. They probably want to spend the least amount of money before the F80 M3 is available for motorsport activites. Like others have said, with no Z4M, a Z4 ALMS car is rather pointless.
      10-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
Silver E90
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itgb View Post
Good news, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the E92 M3 again next year. They probably want to spend the least amount of money before the F80 M3 is available for motorsport activites. Like others have said, with no Z4M, a Z4 ALMS car is rather pointless.
But isn't that the same issue? the F80 M3 engine is turbocharged. So in order for them to develop a GTE version of that car it would have to be turbocharged as well. But that's a ways down the road. Plus there is talks about a unified GT class for 2014 so who knows what that means for the regulations.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...d-gt-category/
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

To say ANY of those cars are even close to a production car is a dream. Maybe they "say" they use the same engine block. We all know every part on those car are completely custom, from, engine internals, to suspension, electronics, all the way down the the width of the chasis. As far as the current Z4 BMW said from the very beginning there would never be an M version. Let the each manufacturer develop what they want. Only so much horspower can be useable around a racetrack anyway. I would be thrilled to see the Z4 GT3 race in the states. I think most BMW race fans would feel the same way.

Lone Star Chapter BMWCCA HPDE Event Chair, Texas Trifecta Event Chair, & BMWCCA driving Instructor
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
Silver E90
Private First Class
Rep

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see the Z4s over here but I'm just saying that if BMW wants to continue to race in the GTE classes, which I want them to do, per the rules they need to have a production based engine. Shouldn't they try to prove on the track what they are trying to sell in the streets? Isn't that the purpose of racing?

But I for one hope to see BMW RLL back with a Z4 next year.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I am just restating what I have seen on various websites.

I agree with most of you. Whatever car they use it should be related to a car you can actually buy.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #14
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itgb View Post
I see them running the E92 M3 one more season as well. BMW said they would have details before October. Now that October is almost over, I am guessing they ran into problems trying to convince them to allow the Z4 with a 4.4L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasZed4MC View Post
To say ANY of those cars are even close to a production car is a dream. Maybe they "say" they use the same engine block. We all know every part on those car are completely custom, from, engine internals, to suspension, electronics, all the way down the the width of the chasis.
No one says they are close to production cars. But they are "production based" cars. This is the entire point of the GT class. There are strict homologation rules for a reason. This isn't generic spec racing like DTM.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #15
Silver E90
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
I see them running the E92 M3 one more season as well. BMW said they would have details before October. Now that October is almost over, I am guessing they ran into problems trying to convince them to allow the Z4 with a 4.4L.
I'd love to see the M3 GTs return for another year, but don't you think they are tapped out? BMW hasn't done any development on the car in a few years and you can tell. The M3 couldn't keep up with the new Corvette or the Ferrari on pace alone. But either way I'd just hope to see a BMW on the grid next year. Even though that I now have to travel farther since Mid-Ohio is gone from the schedule.
Appreciate 0