E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Intercoolers

05-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #45
ATP
Banned
Rep
Drives: SRT, 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post

Reputable FMIC companies:
  • AA -- 2 FMIC options: Sport & Race
  • AMS
  • ER -- 3 Kit Stages: Basic ( upgraded IC + piping), Standard (Basic + ER's CP) and Full (Standard + Carbon Fiber shroud)
  • ETS
  • Forge
  • Helix -- The original stepped IC
  • HPF -- If you buy it directly from HPF, there's 3 different options: Standard Kit, Stage 1 (includes HPF tune, intake & exhaust) and Stage 2 (their single turbo kit -- still in R&D stage)
  • Wagner -- Relatively "new" on the market, just from going to their website it looks like they blacked out a Helix FMIC & then took ETS' piping
Yea, not what I asked for at all. I can search and find who makes intercoolers. What I can't search for is hard results of flow testing and AIT control using the same equipment on all intercoolers made for this car. I can't search for it becasue it doesn't exist. Helix offered their equipment for a test of all ICs on the market but no other vendor has taken them up on the offer.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #46
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP View Post
Yea, not what I asked for at all. I can search and find who makes intercoolers. What I can't search for is hard results of flow testing and AIT control using the same equipment on all intercoolers made for this car. I can't search for it becasue it doesn't exist. Helix offered their equipment for a test of all ICs on the market but no other vendor has taken them up on the offer.
The same reason why you'll never see a direct comparison of two tunes in a controlled environment, nobody wants to be 2nd place. Especially since there are more FMICs, they'll never directly compare themselves in a controlled environment & then find out their product isn't #1
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #47
ATP
Banned
Rep

Quote:
The same reason why you'll never see a direct comparison of two tunes in a controlled environment, nobody wants to be 2nd place. Especially since there are more FMICs, they'll never directly compare themselves in a controlled environment & then find out their product isn't #1
Or, they could take a chance at being number one. Either way, I am pretty sure the only way of getting this done is collecting a bunch of forum members with different ICs and spending a day somewhere testing all of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #48
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP View Post
Or, they could take a chance at being number one. Either way, I am pretty sure the only way of getting this done is collecting a bunch of forum members with different ICs and spending a day somewhere testing all of them.
Problem here is you have one huge variable: the car. The only way to get an accurate test that can illustrate the differences between an FMIC/Tune/Intake/DPs/Exhaust is to test on the same car, back to back in the same conditions on the same dyno.

Ex: If you want to test different tunes, you have to run the ones your testing on the same car with the exact same parts installed through the whole test.

So if we were going to test FMIC's, we'd have to run them on the same car, conduct the testing in the same conditions (outside temp, humidity), with the same parts (same tune settings, intake, DPs, etc.) and on the same dyno through the whole testing to yield the most accurate results possible & illustrate the impact the different FMICs had on the car.

= HUGE hassle but would be very valuable results
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #49
ATP
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Problem here is you have one huge variable: the car. The only way to get an accurate test that can illustrate the differences between an FMIC/Tune/Intake/DPs/Exhaust is to test on the same car, back to back in the same conditions on the same dyno.

Ex: If you want to test different tunes, you have to run the ones your testing on the same car with the exact same parts installed through the whole test.

So if we were going to test FMIC's, we'd have to run them on the same car, conduct the testing in the same conditions (outside temp, humidity), with the same parts (same tune settings, intake, DPs, etc.) and on the same dyno through the whole testing to yield the most accurate results possible & illustrate the impact the different FMICs had on the car.

= HUGE hassle but would be very valuable results
Agreed. However, my proposal was to used Helix's bench. Have a bunch of guys show up, pull and clean the FMICs, test them on the bench. Would be the easiest if this was coupled with an event or something so people dont mind being around all day.
Appreciate 0