E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Bike vs Car

08-31-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Bike vs Car

No doubt this will be a lengthy debate with neither side giving in, but I happened to be off day and was watching a rerun of Fifthgear on Dave. It was the one with the F1 car vs the bike equivalent and how dramatically quicker the car proved to be, even though each had similar PTW.

In case you never seen the race here it is

Well it's clear to see the car sends the bike packing with it's tail between it's legs but is there any production bike that is actually quicker than the quickest production car, i.e. Bugatti Veyron.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

If you look at laptimes of Supersport and Superbikes from racing series and compare them to lap times for production car based racing laptimes the bikes fair pretty well.

The F1 cars are a totally different animal with huge contact patches, very advanced aerodynamics, 3 or 4 times as much horsepower and a ptw ratio that is similar to GP bikes. If you look at just those factors its no surprise that the F1 cars are much quicker.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Thumbs up

No contest on a track as well.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
anthony @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: R56 Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
If you look at laptimes of Supersport and Superbikes from racing series and compare them to lap times for production car based racing laptimes the bikes fair pretty well.

The F1 cars are a totally different animal with huge contact patches, very advanced aerodynamics, 3 or 4 times as much horsepower and a ptw ratio that is similar to GP bikes. If you look at just those factors its no surprise that the F1 cars are much quicker.
+1 F1 cars are unlike any other racing machines.

I'd like to see the same race but with a GP bike. I'll bet the F1 car will still win, but it would be closer for sure. Even the current 800cc machines are making 300 hp/liter.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 01 Black 911 Turbo, 09 X5

A Kawasaki Zx-10R will beat any production car in terms of trap speed and et in the 1/4 mile.

My friend racing me in his 06 Busa up to 180mph and had a big lead on me (10+ cars) until about 150mph. After that my car started to pull hard and I was only 1 car short at the end of the race at 180mph. If we would have went faster he would have been walked.

All bikes after 150mph hit a aerodynamic wall.

Here is a video of me racing my boys 08 GSX-R 750, he tried 4 times and each time got ate up.

Of course my car is not stock (although it looks it ) [u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k_0tTRRMke4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k_0tTRRMke4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b] Raced in Canada by the way.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@ V K Motorwerks View Post
A Kawasaki Zx-10R will beat any production car in terms of trap speed and et in the 1/4 mile.

My friend racing me in his 06 Busa up to 180mph and had a big lead on me (10+ cars) until about 150mph. After that my car started to pull hard and I was only 1 car short at the end of the race at 180mph. If we would have went faster he would have been walked.

All bikes after 150mph hit a aerodynamic wall.

Here is a video of me racing my boys 08 GSX-R 750, he tried 4 times and each time got ate up.

Of course my car is not stock (although it looks it ) [u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k_0tTRRMke4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k_0tTRRMke4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b] Raced in Canada by the way.
Word to the wise, if a cop catches you 50 km/h over the limit in Ontario, you car will be seized on the spot and held for 7 days.
Appreciate 0