E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Does anyone have the Umnitza P90 FX-R retrofit Headlights?

11-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #23
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
Congrats on the lights dude! I'm sure you're gonna be thrilled with them. If there is flickering on the angel eyes, blinkers, or the HIDs, don't sweat it, it takes at most 30 seconds to code. Even if it doesn't throw an error, if you turn off bulb check you'll get rid of the flicker, which may help prolong the life of the HID ballasts/bulbs.
Do you think there will still be flickering? Umnitza told me the lights are plug-and-play without errors and without flickering on all E90 model years.

I did look up how to code and everything, and it seems pretty simple to tell the car you're running xenon, but how do you turn off bulb checking?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #24
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Model 3 LR

here's a PDF i found about what codes to use to activate/deactivate functions in E90s. hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevendous03 View Post
I did look up how to code and everything, and it seems pretty simple to tell the car you're running xenon, but how do you turn off bulb checking?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW_E9x_Code_List_v1edit.pdf (672.7 KB, 2126 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #25
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Thanks ^^^^ That helps! I'm guessing it's that Page 2 Bulb Testing stuff.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #26
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Do you think there will still be flickering? Umnitza told me the lights are plug-and-play without errors and without flickering on all E90 model years.

If they made the wiring so it's plug and play, I wouldn't specifically tell your car that you have Xenon headlights (I believe the wiring is different), I would just turn off bulb check as shown in the PDF above in the Angel Eyes, HIDs, and Turn signals. And I looked at the info you provided about your car (2006 model), so I'm thinking it might be fussy with errors. Let's hope for the best though!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #27
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
If they made the wiring so it's plug and play, I wouldn't specifically tell your car that you have Xenon headlights (I believe the wiring is different), I would just turn off bulb check as shown in the PDF above in the Angel Eyes, HIDs, and Turn signals. And I looked at the info you provided about your car (2006 model), so I'm thinking it might be fussy with errors. Let's hope for the best though!
I'm worried about the errors too and flickering... I know 2006's carputer is very finicky. I even got a TPMS error (that was easy to reset) when I switched wheels, but maybe that happens to everyone.

You're right, I was thinking that if the wiring cancels out the Halogen-Xenon error, it might throw an error if I re-code it. I'll see what errors it gives me. I'm praying for none though...

My blacklines didn't throw errors, but then again, they're OEM and no actual bulb replacement was done.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #28
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm worried about the errors too and flickering... I know 2006's carputer is very finicky. I even got a TPMS error (that was easy to reset) when I switched wheels, but maybe that happens to everyone.

You're right, I was thinking that if the wiring cancels out the Halogen-Xenon error, it might throw an error if I re-code it. I'll see what errors it gives me. I'm praying for none though...

My blacklines didn't throw errors, but then again, they're OEM and no actual bulb replacement was done.
Yeah, well it's more that the wiring makes the bixenon system work, and if you changed the car to think it has OEM xenons, certain functions might not behave properly. But again, hopefully it won't throw errors, and if it does, all you need to do is code out bulb check. I can't wait to see pics of these!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #29
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
I think ill be ordering tomorrow! Hopefully everything goes well, how long is the usual ship time?
Black 2008 328i e90-BMW Performance CF Strut Bar/Muffler delete/8000k Fogs Fogs/Trunk Spoiler/5% Tint/BlueTooth/JVC HU/AG M359 Wheels/Matte Black kidney grills/H&R Race Springs/Koni Yellows/Orion V2 Angel Eyes/EuroCharged Tune/
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 01:06 AM   #30
jvsxn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e-ninety

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566924
      11-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #31
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep

i'm gonna ordering soon as well, according to Trevendous03, who lives in Ohio, they arrived in 2 weeks after the order was placed, so i guess the retrofit time is around 1 week and it depends on what type of shipping you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milly View Post
I think ill be ordering tomorrow! Hopefully everything goes well, how long is the usual ship time?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #32
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT_Munkey View Post
yeah i looked at that too, and got confused because it seemed to me that they only do OEM headlight's AE retrofit, so you have to send them your OEM projector lights and they'll take it apart and put LED AE inside.

i have a 08 328i with Halogen lights and they didn't say they could retrofit a projector inside...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #33
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It took about two weeks to get to me in Ohio, which isn't bad at all really. It's really clean work too, and Umnitza's customer service is great. They answered all my questions diligently, and they also offered me assistance if I had any installation questions.

Umnitza says on its website that the Canbus Pro ballasts are 95% effective at combating errors. It mostly depends on the carputer. haha Some carputers are more finicky than others due to variance, even within the same model year. They did say that the angel eyes might flicker when the lights are turned on and off, but it's actually "pretty cool" (in their own words). If anything, only the angel eyes will throw an error or the LED signals, which would only require a bulb check re-code. I'll know more about mine tomorrow when I install.

Excited!!! I just found a set of Philips 85122 D2S bulbs in my parents' garage, brand new.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #34
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It took about two weeks to get to me in Ohio, which isn't bad at all really. It's really clean work too, and Umnitza's customer service is great. They answered all my questions diligently, and they also offered me assistance if I had any installation questions.

Umnitza says on its website that the Canbus Pro ballasts are 95% effective at combating errors. It mostly depends on the carputer. haha Some carputers are more finicky than others due to variance, even within the same model year. They did say that the angel eyes might flicker when the lights are turned on and off, but it's actually "pretty cool" (in their own words). If anything, only the angel eyes will throw an error or the LED signals, which would only require a bulb check re-code. I'll know more about mine tomorrow when I install.

Excited!!! I just found a set of Philips 85122 D2S bulbs in my parents' garage, brand new.
wow congrats on the Philips D2S bulbs!!!!

can't wait to see the installed pictures! Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #35
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaedus View Post
pretty much what the title says. i have a 08 328i w/ stock halogens, hate these. i'm thinking about buying the Depo P90 projector headlights w/ FX-R retrofit from Umnitza for $770+shipping.

has anyone done this before? what do you think about FX-R projector lens retrofit? beam pattern? quality? light distribution?

i've heard that P90 housings are crap and have hiarline cracks, fogging etc. so i'm concerned that these are gonna fail on me in less than a year. i know they are aftermarkets but i do hope they at least last for two years...

wanted to do OEM Pre lci Xenon conversion at first but the whole setup is gonna cost me $1600+,can't afford it

Sals shop AutoCouture does the Retro fits !

PM me for details
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #36
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Take tons of pics when you do the install!
Haha I feel like Umnitza owes me one for all the business I'm throwing their way
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #37
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaedus View Post
Quote:

wow congrats on the Philips D2S bulbs!!!!

can't wait to see the installed pictures! Good luck!
Great! I'm glad they seem to be good quality! I'm hoping I'm able to do this install myself and not have to take it to a shop... Let us know how Long the install takes and if taking off bumper was hard!

Also, if we did have to code out the thing so it doesn't flicker can any place do the coding, like autozone etc?

Thanks man and good luck hopefully Everything goes good !
Black 2008 328i e90-BMW Performance CF Strut Bar/Muffler delete/8000k Fogs Fogs/Trunk Spoiler/5% Tint/BlueTooth/JVC HU/AG M359 Wheels/Matte Black kidney grills/H&R Race Springs/Koni Yellows/Orion V2 Angel Eyes/EuroCharged Tune/
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #38
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Umnitza FX-R Projector90 Install Updates

Quote:
Great! I'm glad they seem to be good quality! I'm hoping I'm able to do this install myself and not have to take it to a shop... Let us know how Long the install takes and if taking off bumper was hard!

Also, if we did have to code out the thing so it doesn't flicker can any place do the coding, like autozone etc?

Thanks man and good luck hopefully Everything goes good !
UPDATE:

Installation

I was halfway through the process yesterday, bumper off, getting ready to take the headlight bracket off and the halogen headlight itself, but then I found that the bracket was broken and there were some bolts missing from the halogen headlight assembly. I have only owned this car since January, so obviously the previous owner never fixed those things. I had already known that the car was in an accident (which I found out after the dealership sold me the car). The vehicle history report they gave was incorrect, but that's a whole other matter...

Back to the headlight installation, I ended up having to take my E90 to a shop to have them install new headlight brackets, so I figured I'd just pay them to do the installation of the new DEPO Projector90 V2 headlights too since it was getting pretty late (stupid Daylight Savings). Total: $408 after tax

FX-R Conclusions/Opinions

I'm very happy with the overall look of the headlights and the sharp cutoff of the FX-R retrofit. The shop said they aimed the headlights as well, but one is angled kinda weird... I'm going to have to fix the aim. Still very awesome!

I'm just hoping the D2S bulbs are 4300k, because the beam seems more bluish white than I remember my old TSX retrofits being for my Accord, but that could be due to the FX-R having a clear lens and shield mod.

I drove towards some windows last night, and the color flicker of the FX-R is really nice, way nicer than my old TSX retrofits, and this setup is 1000x better than my Pre-LCI halogens.

I promise to post pictures/video sometime next week from my Canon 5D Mk II. It's supposed to rain here the rest of the week I think, so I will have to wait. But... this will allow me to see if the headlights fog up in the rain or if they're properly sealed.

Angel Eyes Conclusions/Opinions

I ordered the 4300k Orion V2 from Umnitza but they sent it with the 6000k, which is okay, because I actually think the 6000k Orion V2 looks great in person! Looks kind of a purple-white during the day, but at night they're xenon-matching white. These are the brightest angel eyes I have ever seen in person. I already noticed heads turning when I had them on today during the day. Easily visible in daylight. I'm hoping I won't get pulled over for the hyperwhite LED angel eyes, but I would think all the Civics and Scion TCs (aka Toyota Civics) around here with glaring 10000k HID inside reflective housings would get pulled over before I would.

Errors/Flickering

I drive a really early production E90 2006 325i (not sure exactly what the production date was, but I'm thinking late 2005). Therefore my carputer is prone to throwing errors. Surprise, surprise, I throw an error with these new headlights, even though there's Canbus Pro ballasts, and the angel eyes and turn signals flicker.

The good news... the angel eyes and LED turn signals only flicker at startup, even with the headlights set to off. They all work fine, no hyper-blinking. Also, no error code is thrown with the Parking Lamp on or the headlights completely off.

The bad news... the low beam error (with the exclamation pt) shows on the dash but not at startup. It occurs while I'm driving, making this ANNOYING *DING* every 4 minutes or so, which obviously means it's some sort of warm low beam check. It goes away on the dash, but then it keeps re-appearing and keeps making noise. If it would just come on once and stay there, it wouldn't bother me, but it's really bothersome when it keeps appearing and making noise every time. I have to drown out the noise with music.

I'm obviously going to have to do some coding, but question... would it be cheaper to have the dealership do the coding than to buy a $100 coding cable and have to wait 3 weeks for it to arrive from China? Especially if it doesn't work?

Last edited by Trevendous03; 11-08-2011 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #39
deceptiv.335
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

I was going to do this mod also, but man.. all those errors are a deal breaker for me.. I'm going with Jaye @ ProjectM he does remote coding and it's included in the price and he actually sends you the cable as a loaner

but the setup you went wtih looks promising, if you can fix the errors.. please post pics very interested and congrats on ur xenons
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #40
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inimeg View Post
I was going to do this mod also, but man.. all those errors are a deal breaker for me.. I'm going with Jaye @ ProjectM he does remote coding and it's included in the price and he actually sends you the cable as a loaner

but the setup you went wtih looks promising, if you can fix the errors.. please post pics very interested and congrats on ur xenons
I almost went with ProjectM as well... they do fine work with OEM parts. But the price for LCI Xenons was around $2,500 I believe. The price for the Umnitza DEPO P90 FX-R Retrofits was just over $800, and even with $400 installation, that's not bad.

Good luck with your choice though... I'll let you know if I can code out the errors. It may just be my carputer too. It's been annoying in the past.

I forgot to mention that the LED amber turn signal is a little more orange in color than my Weisslicht LED sidemarkers, barely noticeable though. Overall, I'm very happy, as long as I can get rid of the error. It's only one recurring error, thank goodness.

And about the cracking that the OP mentioned, I believe DEPO has fixed this in the V2, but I still purchased some LaminX film just to be on the safe side. Weather here sucks!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #41
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Congrats on the installation! Can't wait for pictures and hopefully u can code out the errors...let us know!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #42
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I almost went with ProjectM as well... they do fine work with OEM parts. But the price for LCI Xenons was around $2,500 I believe. The price for the Umnitza DEPO P90 FX-R Retrofits was just over $800, and even with $400 installation, that's not bad.

Good luck with your choice though... I'll let you know if I can code out the errors. It may just be my carputer too. It's been annoying in the past.

I forgot to mention that the LED amber turn signal is a little more orange in color than my Weisslicht LED sidemarkers, barely noticeable though. Overall, I'm very happy, as long as I can get rid of the error. It's only one recurring error, thank goodness.

And about the cracking that the OP mentioned, I believe DEPO has fixed this in the V2, but I still purchased some LaminX film just to be on the safe side. Weather here sucks!
Big congrats for successfully making the installation!! Only one error warning for a carputer that's known to produce more is not bad at all. I hope my 08 328i would produce no error at all

anyway, hopefully you can code that error away,and definitely send in pictures for the cut off and the AE in action during daytime! i'm sure a lot of us is dying to see these babies in action.

btw, does your AE act like the Daytime running lights? and the inner light bul b inside the halogen highbeam reflector bowl does NOT light up at the same time as the AEs right? because on the halogen lights DRLs are highbeam bulbs running on low power?(and it would be ugly to see both that and the AE are on at the same time during daytime)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #43
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
I'm curious about the angel eyes for DRL too ^

I've got an 08 as well so hopefully mine doesn't have the errors!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #44
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm curious about the angel eyes for DRL too ^

I've got an 08 as well so hopefully mine doesn't have the errors!
lets hope so, have you ordered your set yet? i'm still waiting for the money to be transfered to my account so i can place the order...ehhh i hate banks...
Appreciate 0