E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > De-badging / Emblem Removal

07-12-2005, 11:59 AM   #67
Petercat
Cat Herder
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR3, again...

Unhappy

First off, don't be a poser. Debadging is Great, re-badging is pathetic. Also, if you are debadging to think you have a different model car, also pathetic.

Wow, I can't believe this topic gets such a rise out of people... This is my first BMW, I've always been a VW, Porsche, Audi guy previously. The wife was concerned about getting a BMW because she didn't think I was "one of those BMW guys". I didn't believe there were "those BMW guys" but it's pretty obvious here. Someone actually thinks you are debadging a 325 so you "look like a 330" what a superficial bunch of B.S.. You guys who think your 330 is better than a 325 must get such a huge inferiority complex when a 5 or 7 passes by.

I do know that it's about clean cars. As someone else stated, would you leave the dealer's decal on? No, it's ugly.

I have a 325, and yes, I'm going to debadge it today. If I had a 330 or M3, I would debadge as well, even if I had a 7 series, I would take that off too. It's not about trying to be something else, it's about cleaning the car up to what I like it to look like.

I had a Porsche 911 Carrera 4, just a step below a turbo and a hot car non-the-less. And guess what, the badge came off. Not because I wanted someone to think it was something else, because it looks nicer IMO. Even Porsche agrees as they have debadging an option when you order a new Porsche.

Do you guys with 330's think your car is that much different than my 325? Seriously? Did you buy your car as an ego trip or because it rode, drove, handled, performed and accomodated you with the luxury you want to drive within?

I got my 325 because it looked, handled, had the options I wanted, and accomodated my needs best and the dealer gave me a great trade on my 911. I was going to get the 5 series, but for 10K more, the 3 was a super deal. Thankfully, I've got the resources to buy whatever car I would like. Guess what, I wanted the 325. If I wanted extra power and braking, I would have waited for the M3. The badge is coming off, it does not matter what my neighbors think I drive as long as it looks good as I walk up to it in the parking ramp.

I come from a father who was a custom car builder. I was fortunate enough to be integrated into a culture of some great car icons and was exposed to a culture of great automotive design. Someone mentioned why don't you get rid of those pesky wipers and door handles. Ever see many classic cars? There are alot of people out there who do actually get rid of door handles and wipers to get a cleaner look to the car. A badge on a classic car is even more rare. I remember when I was a kid, my dad bought a new Trans-Am and the first thing he did was drive it home to remove the Firebird from the front and sides as well as the Trans-Am stickers. It was a very clean look for the car. He knew what he was driving and didn't care what anyone else thought.

Maybe when the M3 comes out I'll trade up and debadge it just to piss off all of you who desire labels on my car to know where you stand as you drive past me.
      07-12-2005, 12:21 PM   #68
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Amen!
      07-12-2005, 01:13 PM   #69
JBOO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d

Dude, that a long post ... I agree with every word/thought in it. You deserve props!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2005, 01:36 PM   #70
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petercat
First off, don't be a poser. Debadging is Great, re-badging is pathetic. Also, if you are debadging to think you have a different model car, also pathetic.

Wow, I can't believe this topic gets such a rise out of people... This is my first BMW, I've always been a VW, Porsche, Audi guy previously. The wife was concerned about getting a BMW because she didn't think I was "one of those BMW guys". I didn't believe there were "those BMW guys" but it's pretty obvious here. Someone actually thinks you are debadging a 325 so you "look like a 330" what a superficial bunch of B.S.. You guys who think your 330 is better than a 325 must get such a huge inferiority complex when a 5 or 7 passes by.

I do know that it's about clean cars. As someone else stated, would you leave the dealer's decal on? No, it's ugly.

I have a 325, and yes, I'm going to debadge it today. If I had a 330 or M3, I would debadge as well, even if I had a 7 series, I would take that off too. It's not about trying to be something else, it's about cleaning the car up to what I like it to look like.

I had a Porsche 911 Carrera 4, just a step below a turbo and a hot car non-the-less. And guess what, the badge came off. Not because I wanted someone to think it was something else, because it looks nicer IMO. Even Porsche agrees as they have debadging an option when you order a new Porsche.

Do you guys with 330's think your car is that much different than my 325? Seriously? Did you buy your car as an ego trip or because it rode, drove, handled, performed and accomodated you with the luxury you want to drive within?

I got my 325 because it looked, handled, had the options I wanted, and accomodated my needs best and the dealer gave me a great trade on my 911. I was going to get the 5 series, but for 10K more, the 3 was a super deal. Thankfully, I've got the resources to buy whatever car I would like. Guess what, I wanted the 325. If I wanted extra power and braking, I would have waited for the M3. The badge is coming off, it does not matter what my neighbors think I drive as long as it looks good as I walk up to it in the parking ramp.

I come from a father who was a custom car builder. I was fortunate enough to be integrated into a culture of some great car icons and was exposed to a culture of great automotive design. Someone mentioned why don't you get rid of those pesky wipers and door handles. Ever see many classic cars? There are alot of people out there who do actually get rid of door handles and wipers to get a cleaner look to the car. A badge on a classic car is even more rare. I remember when I was a kid, my dad bought a new Trans-Am and the first thing he did was drive it home to remove the Firebird from the front and sides as well as the Trans-Am stickers. It was a very clean look for the car. He knew what he was driving and didn't care what anyone else thought.

Maybe when the M3 comes out I'll trade up and debadge it just to piss off all of you who desire labels on my car to know where you stand as you drive past me.
Dude, chill, looks this topic got a rise out of you too eh? Your not going to change the world you know. Some people are just like this. And don't think the *330i* people are the only ones, go to the 5 series boards and the 7 series boards and yell at them too, only fair, cuz they do it too, and to each other! It's not just bimmers either, some honda prelude people turn a nose at honda civic people, just the way some people are. So you can stand wherever the hell you want to re the badge/debadge issue, it's not going to make a difference in the *big* picture.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2005, 04:36 PM   #71
Petercat
Cat Herder
United_States
Rep

Hey Danny, yes, it's pretty obvious this topic got a rise out of me as well. I wanted to make a quick post, but it just started flowing. "Doh!"

I didn't mean for that to happen, but it's what I had to say and thankfully it seems some others appreciated it.

I'll step down from the soapbox now and make space for the next opinion.

I just really thought the pics of the "bare butts" looked really good. I'll post pics of mine when I get it done and washed.
      07-12-2005, 04:43 PM   #72
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Quote:

How f ing funny! Right On
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2005, 04:47 PM   #73
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Simply use a hair dryer to heat up the glue and then use dental floss to pry it off
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2005, 04:54 PM   #74
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

*I* was K I D D I N G !!!!!! If/when I do it, it's purely for the clean looks and ease of washing/polishing.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2005, 04:57 PM   #75
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey Danny, yes, it's pretty obvious this topic got a rise out of me as well. I wanted to make a quick post, but it just started flowing. "Doh!"

I didn't mean for that to happen, but it's what I had to say and thankfully it seems some others appreciated it.

I'll step down from the soapbox now and make space for the next opinion.

I just really thought the pics of the "bare butts" looked really good. I'll post pics of mine when I get it done and washed.
Yea, naked bottoms never go out of style! I just wanted to point out that getting mad at 330i owners alone is pointless, because this kind of behavior happens across the automotive board, even between different models within the same company, like the 5 and 7 series, some of them look down a pretty long nose at any number less than their 5 or 7, and within the series, it's the same as the 3, 545i people sharing a dirty eye for the 530i or 525i people. It never ends.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2005, 05:11 PM   #76
Petercat
Cat Herder
United_States
Rep

No, I wasn't mad at 330 owners at all... I love their cars and choice with BMW.

I was mad/frustrated by those, anyone, who thinks their car makes them more (insert any word here) because of their car.
Everything is "Coolio" on this end.

I can't imagine that someone with a 7 series is still insecure and needs to think he's better because of his car. Sad.
      07-12-2005, 05:40 PM   #77
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

We all have bimmers and sould love each other.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2005, 06:22 PM   #78
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz5
We all have bimmers and sould love each other.

Coombaya!
      07-12-2005, 08:03 PM   #79
fredtoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325 328 350

Garage List
1986 328  [0.00]
2006 325  [0.00]
I would rather have the new 335 turbo than the 325, but I don't want to wait for the car to come out.

Can I buy just the "3" to add, or do I have to get all 3 digits?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2005, 08:07 PM   #80
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

After this weekend I will have two 3's, a 0, and an 'i' if anyone wants them.

I can't wait until the turbo is out and someone can flame me for debadging my inferior car......
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2005, 08:27 PM   #81
collinp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
Some of the more activist members (read: juvenile delinquents ...) of various green movements target performance cars because they are wasting resources. The thought was that this would inspire an improved sense of public conscience regarding the environment and the consequences of our driving habits. Just imagine what fun they would have in the USA with the likes of the Cadillac SUV, Hummer, etc.! Too many gun-wielding owners though...
A friend of mine drives a little 4-cyclinder Subaru Outback. One night he parks it on the street in San Francisco. We come out from dinner and find that someone has written "GAS HOG!" in mustard all over his car. The absurdity of it was that his car was sandwiched between these two monstrous SUVs. The SUVs were of course untouched.

- Collin
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2005, 08:35 PM   #82
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

well...badge and status of the car is important to some people. How else can you justify people in Asia where top speed limit is 100km/h pay US$500000 to $1mil for a exotic sports car?

But I feel sorry for your friend (Subaru)....sometimes people do stupid things sometimes out of envy. I know a person that got their car egged, and pizza thrown at before...there're all kinds of people out there...
      07-13-2005, 11:56 AM   #83
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I debadged my car yesterday and last night on my way home from work, these 2 guys pulled up next to me in a camero reving and burning their tires trying to race me. Maybe they thought i was a 330 or they just wanted my attention. But, Obviously, I was thinking to myself, um ok- you are going to kick my a$$ so im not going to even bother, BUT im sure i can take them out on a corner!
      07-13-2005, 12:03 PM   #84
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
I debadged my car yesterday and last night on my way home from work, these 2 guys pulled up next to me in a camero reving and burning their tires trying to race me. Maybe they thought i was a 330 or they just wanted my attention. But, Obviously, I was thinking to myself, um ok- you are going to kick my a$$ so im not going to even bother, BUT im sure i can take them out on a corner!
haha....yea...cameros are fast but they can only go straight...
      07-13-2005, 01:46 PM   #85
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

It was the SUV owners that mustarded your friend.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 02:24 PM   #86
Bananenboom
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

In Europe you can order your car without badges from the factory. It's an option on the optionlist.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 07:24 PM   #87
Petercat
Cat Herder
United_States
Rep

So, I promised the photos once I've gotten it done...

I absolutely love it, it gives the car a much cleaner/classy look that I like.

My mother lives with my wife and I. When she heard what I was going to do, she had to run out and join me. Her opinion was that it looks awesome as well.

If you are thinking of debadging, I say go for it.

07-13-2005, 09:36 PM   #88
Execution
The Executive
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90-325 ZSP Black/Black

I am sorry ... it's looks absolutely goofy ...

I don't get it but that's just me ...

Mercedes Benz owners don't go around "debadging" their vehicles.

Execution

Execution - The Executive:
E90 on ASA AR-1's front 19 x 8.5; rear 19 x 9.5

VEMMA & VERVE
Appreciate 0