E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Spring Interchangability?

12-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #1
BLUSMBL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 Xdrive

Spring Interchangability?

Tried searching the forums but could not find anything on point. I've got an 07 E91 XI that should have sport suspension; it's got Eibach lowering springs on all 4 corners that are keeping me from passing Maryland state inspection (headlights have to be 24" off the ground; they're 23" right now). Yes, really, that failed inspection. It's low, and the ride is super stiff, so I'm just going back to stock.

Will springs from an 06 330i fit (all four corners)? Found a solid looking set in a junkyard; they look nearly new. I've searched high and low for stock spring rates but can't find anything. They *look* really similar, and as if they'll bolt right up. Also finding all kinds of variations, like different parts for manuals and autos (mine's an auto). Plus the obvious difference here of AWD/non.

Thanks in advance. Oh, and the Eibachs will be for sale once this is all said and done.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Those cars didn't come with sport suspension.

Do you want to install sport springs or non-sport (what it came with stock)?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #3
BLUSMBL
Enlisted Member
Rep

OK, thanks. Just what it came with stock. Didn't know if because it has the sport interior it also came with, stock, a sports suspension. Really just want to pass inspection lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 03:42 PM   #4
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Don't let me stop you from improving your ride quality, but it seems like the solution to your more immediate problem (passing inspection) would be to just go to a different inspection joint that ain't gonna bust your balls with the use of a micrometer.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2018, 03:49 PM   #5
BLUSMBL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectAce View Post
Don't let me stop you from improving your ride quality, but it seems like the solution to your more immediate problem (passing inspection) would be to just go to a different inspection joint that ain't gonna bust your balls with the use of a micrometer.
This more than off by just a little. Off by a full inch. And yes, the ride quality is too harsh for my tastes. I have a race-prepped 928 for that kind of stiff ride. That's what she said.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 07:37 PM   #6
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUSMBL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectAce View Post
This more than off by just a little. Off by a full inch. And yes, the ride quality is too harsh for my tastes. I have a race-prepped 928 for that kind of stiff ride. That's what she said.
Add temporary "spring boosters" that are made of rubber or metal that just jam in or some that are metal brackets and bolts. They are real cheap and are an old school way to lift up a car orsfiffent it a bit because you are making a turn of the spring unable to compress. Getting 1" should be a $25-$35 solution and they are temporary and easy to install and remove.
Appreciate 0