E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > G5 Inspection

02-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #1
solow
Just to sweet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Exclamation G5 Inspection

hey guys, a friend of mine recently got the G5 board and his trying to pass inspection with no cats-- any idea how to do it with the G5 board since it has the dpfix in it allready i assume? any help guys inspection is due today? Thankx
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by solow View Post
hey guys, a friend of mine recently got the G5 board and his trying to pass inspection with no cats-- any idea how to do it with the G5 board since it has the dpfix in it allready i assume? any help guys inspection is due today? Thankx
It won't pass sniffer.

It won't pass OBD II readiness without a separate DP fix either.

The JB4 alone only has auto clear which will eliminates the CEL only.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
Bluesun
sudo su -
Rep
Drives: 2018 McLaren 570S Spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
It won't pass sniffer.

It won't pass OBD II readiness without a separate DP fix either.

The JB4 alone only has auto clear which will eliminates the CEL only.
I was under the impression that the JB4 included a DP fix...does this mean that when I install catless DPs with my clutch, my car will no longer pass emissions? Or are my secondaries sufficient?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
335scott
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

thats unfortunate. I also thought the JB4 would pass the OBD II readiness b/c it had the DP fix integrated.

I don't think you can ever pass the sniffer w/o cats.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

That's the confusing part, they say that it has an integrated DP Fix, but they're unclear on whether it just clears the code or if it allows you to pass inspection. I have a feeling it's the former since no one has proven it's the latter yet. The separate DP fix is an adjustable resistor so unless they've integrated that somehow into the G5, not sure how it would be able to pass emissions.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #6
brewnami
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i M Sport Coupe

The JB4 features an auto clear function that will automatically disregard any cat efficiency codes. Problem is, it doesn't set readiness meaning the OBDII scan during inspection will show "Not Ready". Also, pretty sure you can't communicate with the DME when you're not on Map 0 so in that case, you would throw a service engine soon light anyways. Get the DP fix. Took me 25 minutes to install from popping the hood to closing it and most of that was removing and installing the cowl. I passed inspection and now I'm going to remove the DP Fix and turn auto clear back on.

JB4 description online is confusing, but when making "off road use only parts" you have to tread lightly with how they're advertised. The DP Fix sold separately is the only way to pass an emissions test aside from installing the stock downpipes which is a huge PITA.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesun View Post
I was under the impression that the JB4 included a DP fix...does this mean that when I install catless DPs with my clutch, my car will no longer pass emissions? Or are my secondaries sufficient?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335scott View Post
thats unfortunate. I also thought the JB4 would pass the OBD II readiness b/c it had the DP fix integrated.

I don't think you can ever pass the sniffer w/o cats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
That's the confusing part, they say that it has an integrated DP Fix, but they're unclear on whether it just clears the code or if it allows you to pass inspection. I have a feeling it's the former since no one has proven it's the latter yet. The separate DP fix is an adjustable resistor so unless they've integrated that somehow into the G5, not sure how it would be able to pass emissions.
Knowing the history of the BMS tunes since inception helps. Since I've been around since 2008 we've seen all the tunes grow and change over the years.

Historically when the tune came out way back when I don't think it cleared the CEL for downpipes so they produced what is now referred to as the DP FIX.

Over the years they integrated only a small portion of the "DP FIX" into the tune just to clear the CEL.

The way the standalone downpipe fix works it wasn't good to use for long term. (You can ask BMS why because I don't know the exact details).

So the JB4 currently has only a "DP FIX" to clear the check engine light.

If you want to pass readiness you need the stand alone DP Fix for that and it should only be used short term to pass inspection.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

No car will pass the sniffer (Emissions) with catless downpipes even with the so called secondaries in place.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #8
Bluesun
sudo su -
Rep

To make sure I'm understanding this clearly:

So in order to pass OBDII emissions with catless DPs, you need to buy one of the BMS downpipe fix devices?

Are there other alternatives, or is BMS the only company that offers such things?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 03:14 PM   #9
Ingeniator
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI(90) 09 135I(82)

Tiago posted this in another thread. Looks like the same as the bms one.

http://cp-e.com/webstore/product/bmw-n54-xcat/
09 135I M (VK80379) 6MT. Race Project car. 1) Install Cobb/piggyback? and Motiv 600 Kit[HTA3076R w/ tial .82] 2) JRZ or Moton suspension. 3) Build high flow intake manifold with multi-port fuel and relocate OFH 4) Build full cage 5) Complete staged twin setup with HTA4205R [w/Tial 1.16] 6) Complete dry sump system
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #10
RaceTruk
Major
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Quote:

So in order to pass OBDII emissions with catless DPs, you need to buy one of the BMS downpipe fix devices?

Are there other alternatives, or is BMS the only company that offers such things?
this is correct.
no other alternative.
and this is for N54 only...N55 there is no option short of removing and re installing OEM DP
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #11
RaceTruk
Major
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by solow View Post
if he has G4, i have a DP fix that i rent.
i am located in Long island
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 03:23 PM   #12
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yes that is the Downpipe fix to pass OBD II readiness.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 04:53 PM   #13
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Keep in mind some states allow one not ready state for the emissions stuff. I can pass my local tests with no issues as long as I don't have a check engine light on and there are no other emissions related issues.
      02-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #14
Bluesun
sudo su -
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusk View Post
Keep in mind some states allow one not ready state for the emissions stuff. I can pass my local tests with no issues as long as I don't have a check engine light on and there are no other emissions related issues.
Last year I had to get my car e-checked, and had just cleared the codes with the JB4. I still have my OEM downpipes with cats, but I did not pass because of the "not ready" status. I had to drive it around for the day and then get it tested again.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #15
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusk View Post
Quote:
Last year I had to get my car e-checked, and had just cleared the codes with the JB4. I still have my OEM downpipes with cats, but I did not pass because of the "not ready" status. I had to drive it around for the day and then get it tested again.
I think some states are more lenient then others as to how many readiness codes are needed.
Appreciate 0