E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > School me on how to build a SAFE Methanol setup...

01-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
SINGH_
N54 E92
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

School me on how to build a SAFE Methanol setup...

I've experienced an engine fire due to a clamp failure on my 6.0L LSx swap I put into my previous car (Chevelle). Luckily I had a fire extinguisher on hand and there was no real damage to the vehicle (Other than a few crispy wires and split-looms). It was just something I over looked...

My knowledge is limited on methanol systems, although I know I would like to run a safe system... which is capable up to 100% methanol. Not that I would run it. I would like to be in the 50/50 range on a daily basis and up to 80/30 for track days at most.

I want to run a trunk setup and will have a Vishnu PWM Kit shipping out to me shortly.

I am running a VRSF Charge Pipe, Which includes one 1/8" NPT Bung. Which nozzle/jet would be best? Would it flow enough, because the original PWM setup is supplied with the two nozzles.

I want to run a tank on either side of the trunk (over the amplifier or over the battery). So I can't risk a leak. The used kit i'm purchasing includes a 2.5 gallon tank (Snow Performance style)... I have a 3 quart Snow Performance tank which is my bothers that I can use for mock up and fitment, if I want to go that route. But I also love the look of this BMS tank over everything (http://burgertuning.com/images/BMW_m...tank_trunk.jpg), Although it look like it might stop the the carpeted trunk lid from opening in the picture. -- but i'm sure I would modify the bracket it slides onto (two piece design).

What my biggest concern seems to be is the push style connectors many people seem to be running. I don't trust them. I am willing to spring for some -4an Teflon/SS Braided hose as I have worked with AN hoses in the past - Never had an issue. Although would it be over kill? Anyone running a brass ferrule style connector?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, not looking to cheap out on the running of the lines/connectors.

Light Bolt-ons, Tunes, & Methanol Injection:
12.30 @ 115mph [2.0 60ft on Street Tires] [91 Octane]
1.59 Seconds Faster than Stock [as of 05/29/2014]
Previous Vehicle: '65 Chevelle [LSx 6.0L/4L80e]
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
cwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 e92

robc1976 he has all the answers when it comes to 4AN stuff
      01-03-2014, 09:57 PM   #3
cwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 e92

or look at howerton engineering web site for fittings
      01-03-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
CptJoe732
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 N54

Meth will never be 100% safe. It's a great product for cooling but you'll never get the same spray pattern every time.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:51 PM   #5
SINGH_
N54 E92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptJoe732 View Post
Meth will never be 100% safe. It's a great product for cooling but you'll never get the same spray pattern every time.
Why is that?

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #6
SINGH_
N54 E92
Rep

An image I found online of the BMS 2.3 gallon tank setup (also offered by many other companies)

Looks like it still opens! Case closed!

http://www.***********.com/attachmen...7&d=1309955657
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:59 PM   #7
CptJoe732
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 N54

Your running off nozzles not injectors. They can be controlled to a certain extent but its never going to have the same exact spray pattern everytime, it'll be close but not exact. It all depends on what your goals are for running meth anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 11:26 PM   #8
SINGH_
N54 E92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptJoe732 View Post
Your running off nozzles not injectors. They can be controlled to a certain extent but its never going to have the same exact spray pattern everytime, it'll be close but not exact. It all depends on what your goals are for running meth anyway.
that makes sense! thanks for the info

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 11:51 PM   #9
SINGH_
N54 E92
Rep

Is anyone using 1/4" compression fittings for their meth setups?

I'd like to use a thread on compression fitting from my tank then have my pump mounted in the small well area (under carpeted lid). This way if the push lock fittings on he pump leak, they will leak into a small contained area (not onto carpeting/electronics). Then run another thread on compression fitting connecting the final end of the line to the nozzle.

Where would the check valve go into my system? right before the pump, right after the pump or right before the nozzle?

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 12:58 AM   #10
3000GT MR
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i/3000gt vr4

Meth is pretty safe these days. It's not new technology. The Vishnu kit is a very good kit and controlled very well through the procede. SS braided lines is a bit over kill. As long as everything is routed properly you shouldn't have an issue. Keep sharp kinks and heat away from the lines and they'll be fine. Also don't use your WW reservoir as your tank.

In regards to the CP, use the meth bung as your pressure sensor bung and drill and tap your nozzles using the provided pieces. The meth bung is to deep and will cause atomization issues. The nozzles like to stick in the airstream a little. PM if you need more detail.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #11
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

No "need" for 4AN and Stainless, but IMO it's a good investment. With good stainless lines and AN fittings you run almost zero chance of a leak, though as noted above quality compression fittings and a well routed setup you aren't running a big risk or anything like that. IDK I just went overkill a bit, better safe than sorry when you start spraying foreign liquid into the charge stream.

You're headed in the right direction OP. The PWM kit is well made and integrates cleanly with the PROcede. It's one thing I miss out on being flash only, meth doesn't fully integrate with Cobb. Aquamist has a pretty foolproof failsafe, but still would prefer it be integrated with the tune.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #12
3000GT MR
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i/3000gt vr4

AN is good and all but if you didn't use SS fittings you could be causing more harm then good. Anything that comes in fancy colors is aluminum.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #13
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000GT MR View Post
AN is good and all but if you didn't use SS fittings you could be causing more harm then good. Anything that comes in fancy colors is aluminum.
Good call. I had not thought of that...but quite obvious now that you mention it.

I think Howerton's are stainless...will poke around and replace ASAP.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #14
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92 N54 View Post
Is anyone using 1/4" compression fittings for their meth setups?

I'd like to use a thread on compression fitting from my tank then have my pump mounted in the small well area (under carpeted lid). This way if the push lock fittings on he pump leak, they will leak into a small contained area (not onto carpeting/electronics). Then run another thread on compression fitting connecting the final end of the line to the nozzle.

Where would the check valve go into my system? right before the pump, right after the pump or right before the nozzle?
My vishnu meth PUMP came with compression fittings right on the head of the pump.....yes they screw right down.....not push-in.

In fact, except for the tank (custom trunk mount for me from Howerton) the entire vishnu system from pump to the Fast Acting Valve is all compression screw down fittings.

This is all Howerton hardware in this system.

Howerton made me a custom tank and the line connection is a barb based fitting similar to how their nozzles connect. You cannot get the meth line off those barb fittings once they are on - you have to slice them open.

2 years now with this system.....not a single drop leaked.....not a single need to prime out air.....works every time.

Check out the hardware closely. I don't think you need to be doing as much cusomization as you think. Just the tank.

Best place to mount your pump is as close to the tank as possible (ie trunk) and a little lower than the tank to get gravity feed to the pump.

The fast acting valve should mount in the engine bay on the bracket provided as per the instructions. You want the valve as close to the injectors as possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #15
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Really you just want to mitigate the system leaking as best as possible (ie use decent lines and fittings, not refridgerator ice maker plastic line) and then assume it will leak anyway no matter how good the lines are, so route it very carefully so that if anything ever does leak, that it isn't leaking on a heat source, so don't route some shitty line over the hot side of the engine basically.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #16
SINGH_
N54 E92
Rep

Thanks everyone. I'll wait and see what the kit looks like once it is shipped by the user I purchased it from before I start buying parts and fittings. Hopefully the Vishnu kit does include thread on compression fittings. Although my family does own a hardware store, so they're easy for me to get my hands on.

@135Pats swap out all your AN fittings for JIC (not JIS) fittings. They are the same sizes as AN just made from carbon steel, stainless steel, and brass instead of aluminum. I used some on my Teflon AN hoses when I ran my steering hoses on a previous car - worked great.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:00 AM   #17
SINGH_
N54 E92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Really you just want to mitigate the system leaking as best as possible (ie use decent lines and fittings, not refridgerator ice maker plastic line) and then assume it will leak anyway no matter how good the lines are, so route it very carefully so that if anything ever does leak, that it isn't leaking on a heat source, so don't route some shitty line over the hot side of the engine basically.
That's what I was thinking as well. Even though the Burger/Coolingmist 2.3 gallon tank I am looking at comes with an area for the pump built into the tank. I would rather mount the pump under the trunk flap. To minimize sharp kinks as well as to isolate all of the push lock fittings (located on the pump) into one controlled section of the vehicle. So if they do leak, it will be collected before pouring over on to any sensitive electronics such as the amplifier. I will it on the drivers side of the vehicle.

Is there any thermal shielding needed in high heat areas? Planning to place the nylon tubing through rubber grommets or rubber hose in any high friction areas to cut down on potential wear.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #18
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
I've experienced an engine fire due to a clamp failure on my 6.0L LSx swap I put into my previous car (Chevelle). Luckily I had a fire extinguisher on hand and there was no real damage to the vehicle (Other than a few crispy wires and split-looms). It was just something I over looked...

My knowledge is limited on methanol systems, although I know I would like to run a safe system... which is capable up to 100% methanol. Not that I would run it. I would like to be in the 50/50 range on a daily basis and up to 80/30 for track days at most.

I want to run a trunk setup and will have a Vishnu PWM Kit shipping out to me shortly.

I am running a VRSF Charge Pipe, Which includes one 1/8" NPT Bung. Which nozzle/jet would be best? Would it flow enough, because the original PWM setup is supplied with the two nozzles.

I want to run a tank on either side of the trunk (over the amplifier or over the battery). So I can't risk a leak. The used kit i'm purchasing includes a 2.5 gallon tank (Snow Performance style)... I have a 3 quart Snow Performance tank which is my bothers that I can use for mock up and fitment, if I want to go that route. But I also love the look of this BMS tank over everything (http://burgertuning.com/images/BMW_m...tank_trunk.jpg), Although it look like it might stop the the carpeted trunk lid from opening in the picture. -- but i'm sure I would modify the bracket it slides onto (two piece design).

What my biggest concern seems to be is the push style connectors many people seem to be running. I don't trust them. I am willing to spring for some -4an Teflon/SS Braided hose as I have worked with AN hoses in the past - Never had an issue. Although would it be over kill? Anyone running a brass ferrule style connector?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, not looking to cheap out on the running of the lines/connectors.
First and foremost the VRSF charge pipe with the 1/8 NPT bung will not work without modification.

You will need at least 2 meth bungs and since you got a Vishnu kit they utilize aquamist bungs which are different then 1/8 NPT bungs. So your options are either to get a 2 meth bung charge pipe and get aquamist adapters or somehow get a second meth bung on your current charge and get aquamist adapters. You could always drill and tap for new aquamist meth bungs too. You want atleast 2 meth bungs. Two 1MM is the popular choice.

Stainless steel braided lines (AN fittings) are a popular upgrade for methanol systems today.
As with methanol there is always a risk of fire so keep a fire extinguisher handy. Even the best kits can go wrong especially when human error is always a possibility.

Also I don't recall where VRSF puts their meth bung but you would want them as close to the intercooler as possible for proper atomization.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 01-04-2014 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #19
SINGH_
N54 E92
Rep

@Ilma you got lucky with your pump. I just checked the classified, it looks like the supplied pump uses push lock style connectors. Hopefully if I need to replace it I can find one that simply has female threads on both sides, so I can adapt it outwards to thread on compression fittings for extra safety.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #20
SINGH_
N54 E92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
First and foremost the VRSF charge pipe with the 1/8 NPT bung will not work without modification.

You will need at least 2 meth bungs and since you got a Vishnu kit they utilize aquamist bungs which are different then 1/8 NPT bungs. So your options are either to get a 2 meth bung charge pipe and get aquamist adapters or somehow get a second meth bung on your current charge and get aquamist adapters. You could always drill and tap for new aquamist meth bungs too. You want atleast 2 meth bungs. Two 1MM is the popular choice.

Stainless steel braided lines (AN fittings) are a popular upgrade for methanol systems today.
As with methanol there is always a risk of fire so keep a fire extinguisher handy. Even the best kits can go wrong especially when human error is always a possibility.

Also I don't recall where VRSF puts their meth bung but you would want them as close to the intercooler as possible for proper atomization.
Good advice, I will be throwing a automotive fire extinguisher in my car.

When it comes to the 1/8 fitting, is it possible to purchase a 1/8 npt nozzle. I would much rather just purchase one nozzle and use that instead of removing the CP, drilling/tapping it or welding a bung to use the included dual nozzle setupp. I know many kits only use one nozzle.

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #21
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Good advice, I will be throwing a automotive fire extinguisher in my car.

When it comes to the 1/8 fitting, is it possible to purchase a 1/8 npt nozzle. I would much rather just purchase one nozzle and use that instead of removing the CP, drilling/tapping it or welding a bung to use the included dual nozzle setupp. I know many kits only use one nozzle.
You purchased a Vishnu PWM kit. It's a very expensive kit and for good reason. It's composed of aquamist components and integrates well with Procede tunes. The beauty of the kit besides the quality components is the aquamist nozzles.

Why buy such an expensive kit and the utilize such cheap hardware to make it work?

You sure can use 1 nozzle. We call them fire hoses. I don't know how you will make it work but I'm sure it's possible. I don't recommend it.
They don't atomize well and don't distribute methanol to all cylinders equally because of that.

I would also double check where your single nozzle is. If it's too close to the TB your atomization will be even worse spraying through 1 large nozzle.

You are welcome to do what you want on your vehicle but you went this far why not do it properly? Just my .02.

My advice? Get rid of that charge pipe and get a 2 meth bung charge pipe like ER that puts the nozzles in the right location. Then get 2 aquamist adapters to run your methanol kit properly. The ER charge pipe also connects like stock using the factory C clip which is much better then the charge pipes that use silcon couplers at the TB that are prone to slipping off and leaking.

In the future VRSF will be offering that which will be a nice upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #22
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

This is just a personal opinion, but I wouldn't install any meth system on any car without full stainless lines and proper fittings. To me, it just isn't worth trying to save a few bucks.