E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Ferrari Crash

03-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #23
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius View Post
The speculation is that it was Charles "Mask" Lewis that was killed, co-owner of Tapout.

So sad... heart goes out to the family...
Confirmed - RIP Charles "Mask" Lewis

Thoughts go out to the family and friends.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #24
jimmyeatsworld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Xoible View Post
yah man it's fucked up, they probably left it so people stop racing.
That's what I said but my buddy said that they are probably treating it as a crime scene.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #25
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim View Post
unfortunate this happened... sounds like road racing..

how come all accidents involving ferraris end up with the car broken in half?
it looks like ferrari chasis isn't that strong in favor of reducing weight? or i wonder if that's the "side-effect" of rear engine design?
I read it was because of potential fires. Ferrari says it is part proper disintegration during a crash, but going that fast not much you can do to make a car safer
      03-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #26
caveboy
Private
Rep
Drives: 6MT Jerez Black M3 E90

Mixed martial arts figure "Mask," who co-founded the TapouT clothing line, was killed early Wednesday when a $300,000 Ferrari crashed and was torn in half. The driver of another car was arrested for investigation of manslaughter. Police said the crash occurred shortly before 1 a.m. on Jamboree Boulevard, a major street in wealthy Newport Beach.

A patrol officer saw the red 2004 Ferrari Modena and a white 1977 Porsche coupe spinning out of control, possibly as a result of a collision, police Lt. Craig Fox said in a statement. The cause of the crash remained under collision.

"We believe they were going fast based on the skids and the damage to the vehicle," Fox told KABC-TV. "But we can't speculate at this point if they were racing or not."

The Ferrari hit a curb, then knocked over a light pole that fell on it and the car was torn in half, Fox said.

Lewis died at the scene.

"We don't know if he was the driver," Fox said.

A woman was thrown from the car and was hospitalized for a broken arm and other injuries, Fox said.

She was hospitalized in stable condition, according to a police statement. Her identity was not immediately released.

The Porsche briefly stopped at the crash site but then drove off, police said.

It was later spotted on street a short distance away and a couple who were seen walking away from it were arrested, Fox said.

Jeffrey David Kirby, 51, of Costa Mesa, was booked for investigation of gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated and remained jailed on $2 million bail.

Kirby could not immediately be reached for comment because his home number was unlisted and it was not immediately clear whether he was represented by an attorney.

The woman, Lynn Marie Nabozny, 32, of Newport Beach, was arrested for investigation of public intoxication and released. She will not be charged, however, Fox said.

There were no telephone listings for Nabozny.

Lewis, believed to be 45, was known for his signature facepaint stripes and was considered a pioneering mogul in mixed martial arts, considered an extreme sport that combines wrestling, martial arts and boxing moves and remains illegal in some states. In 1997 he co-founded TapouT, based in Grand Terrace in San Bernardino County.

At first, he and his friends sold T-shirts at local gyms and at events.

"Back then, the sport wasn't even legal" in California, Lewis told the Los Angeles Times last year. "Sometimes if the cops showed up you'd all have to pretend it was fake wrestling so you wouldn't get in trouble."

The clothing line is now sold in 20,000 stores around the world and last year had more than $50 million in revenue, representatives said.

Lewis and two partners also starred in a reality TV show called "TapouT" on the Versus channel that involved roaming around the country seeking mixed martial arts fighters to train and sponsor.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #27
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveboy View Post
Mixed martial arts figure "Mask," who co-founded the TapouT clothing line, was killed early Wednesday when a $300,000 Ferrari crashed and was torn in half. The driver of another car was arrested for investigation of manslaughter.
We heard.
      03-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #28
slalomfever
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nardo Grey F80

R.I.P. Mask
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 07:59 PM   #29
rob612
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 - m3

omg..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #30
labelexec
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 Matte Black RSSport M3

Douchebag deserves it. Shouldn't be racing on the streets where others can get injured. These MMA douchebags have the bravado of king kong but the brains of an ant. A-hole thought he was cool racing a 2004 Modena against a 70s Porsche. Might as well race a Camry. Good riddance. Now I believe in Darwinism.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #31
AlpineM3
Private
Rep
Drives: AW M3

May he rest in peace...cool dude really cool dude. However id sure like to see a 360 Modena worth 300K. New, used, made of gold? Idk
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 02:24 AM   #32
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by golemite View Post
that stretch of jamboree is pretty dangerous, didn't some highschool kids crash there a while back too?
any road is dangerous when you're going as fast as that car was
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #33
335 S
Vile and Depraved
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by labelexec View Post
Douchebag deserves it. Shouldn't be racing on the streets where others can get injured. These MMA douchebags have the bravado of king kong but the brains of an ant. A-hole thought he was cool racing a 2004 Modena against a 70s Porsche. Might as well race a Camry. Good riddance. Now I believe in Darwinism.
Complete loser. Public road. Could have killed a child. Fortunately his chick is very impressed. Her paralysis is a wonderful reminder of the humanity this man brought to the table.

Oh. And he was racing a 1977 Porsche. Quite a challenge. Didn't they use pull starters back then?

Last edited by 335 S; 03-13-2009 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #34
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

R.I.P. Lewis.

I believe this was a good man with a positive energy, a talent for entertainment someone who had heart and learned to use it, got successful the long and hard way. Behind all the mask and clothing there is a true spiritual person someone in touch with basic truths.

http://www.tapout.com/index.cfm?Temp...ia-Movies.html
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 09:43 PM   #35
Steveo58
-Steveo-
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

RIP Charles.

We both had our cars done at the same place and shared some of the same friends. He's a great guy...

We've all let the red mist get us and drive too fast on the street - maybe even race. He was a cool, extremely smart guy. He came from being on the streets to making more money than all of us on here combined. I would say his brain is bigger than an "Ants"... Have a heart, dude.

He'll be missed. Thoughts go out to his family.
      03-13-2009, 10:41 PM   #36
CodeRed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 & 67 Alfa GTV

The P car driver has been charged with manslaughter as his car apparently knocked the ferrari off the road, he must have lifted off the gas thru a turn as they were driving side by side...he blew a .13 and .08 is DUI.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 07:08 AM   #37
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

What kind of a 1977 Porsche was this to keep up? Certainly not a 911...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #38
labelexec
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 Matte Black RSSport M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo58 View Post
RIP Charles.

We both had our cars done at the same place and shared some of the same friends. He's a great guy...

We've all let the red mist get us and drive too fast on the street - maybe even race. He was a cool, extremely smart guy. He came from being on the streets to making more money than all of us on here combined. I would say his brain is bigger than an "Ants"... Have a heart, dude.

He'll be missed. Thoughts go out to his family.
What irony...came from the streets and died in the streets. Obviously not that smart. Intelligence can make money but money can't make intelligence. Every douchebag with a tshirt clothing company can have a lucky streak (Mossimo, Von Dutch, and the list goes on) and make tons of money but that doesn't mean they are intelligent business savvy individuals.

Your lame comment on him making more money than all of us on here combined is asinine. He droves an old as Ferrari and his company press release says its worth nearly $100 million. Was that valuation done by KPMG, Deloitte, BDO, or PWC or some bookkeeper that graduated from Orange Coast College.

Bottom line...I don't care how rich and "intelligent" a person is, if you race on a public road, you are an idiot!

Its one thing to not cherish your own life but don't be such an arrogant bastard to neglect other people's lives. I have friends and family that drive on that same freeway everyday. I hope that his passenger takes his estate to the fucking cleaners. Let's see how rich his family will be after she's done with them.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #39
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RS 46 M3

I cant believe there is 2 pages on this. Some dumb shit killed himself trying to race a beat down ass Porsche in an old Ferrari, if this were anyone other than some dumb celebrity it wouldn't even be an concern.
Appreciate 0