E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

09-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #8251
cwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46beater View Post
I only see 4.01 on their site for anything stage 1 minus FMIC
had to go and check myself lol. you are correct anything stage 1 without a fmic is v 4.01 sorry for the bad info thought they all changed to v4.02
any logs would help determine what's going on.
      09-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #8252
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by labedra View Post
I changed the plugs, however i went 2 sessions without issues, 3rd session all codes. I reset the codes drove for a while no problem, then right when i enter the track codes again. So I reset ECU and woudln't reset so cleard the codes and loaded Stage 2 FMC Sport instead of Agressive. Drove for a while no codes. did 5 or 6 Open Throttle pulls no codes. Weird. I hope this is just a glitch. But got new plugs, thats it, however i never drove this hard as 2nd and 3rd session.

What could this bee, I didn't turn off traction control so maybe ECU freaked out?
Traction control would have nothing to do with those codes. I would start looking at wiring since there are 3 separate sensors that are reporting issues. If you still happen to have warranty, then uninstall and drive the car for a few miles. You should trigger the codes again as I don't think this is tune related at all.

Feel free to send me some logs if you'd like me to take a look and see if there's anything bad there.

-Josh
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #8253
M3E46M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i E92 6 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning View Post
Traction control would have nothing to do with those codes. I would start looking at wiring since there are 3 separate sensors that are reporting issues. If you still happen to have warranty, then uninstall and drive the car for a few miles. You should trigger the codes again as I don't think this is tune related at all.

Feel free to send me some logs if you'd like me to take a look and see if there's anything bad there.

-Josh
Well changed the tune to

Stg2+FMIC ST Sport IJE0S v402
Stock Throttle

insted of Agresive and went all out with instructor pushed the car to the limit for four 30 min sessions at Gingerman Raceway, Michigan and no issues. So how do you explain that? It must be tune related. I checked everything no leaks no boost leaks no nothing. So i'm lost at what the issue was other then i changed the tune. I went 1 session with TCS and the other 3 TCS off. So you would think that pushing the car that hard even harder then last time would throw codes with a SPORT tune but it didn't.... so there are the codes but I have no logs unfortunately. SPORT TUNE WORKED FOR ME. I also see other people with similar problems and codes online but they stated when they went back to stock tune problem is gone so this is saying something.

BTW I put shell 93 octane when i got the codes and the map suppose to be for that but the map I ran (SPORT stage 2 map) only requires 91 octane so maybe that has something to do with it? Don't know but I would like to find out before I waste multiple sessions at the track just to find out that the other tune worked.

.../// TURBO! Why in the world would you choose anything else?... ///
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #8254
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep

These codes don't have anything to do with a boost leak.

2C7F AfterCat 02 sensor trim control, Bank 2
2C6B AfterCat 02 sensor system check, Bank 1

These cannot be an issue related to our tuning as we do nothing with those codes. Those sensors strictly report on what they see and the codes are thrown due to an issue in the reporting. Common issues for O2 codes are swapping sensors harness plugs during downpipe installation, exhaust leak pre-cat, or damaged sensors.

29D1 misfire, cylinder 5

Misfires are common on these cars and are normally either plugs, coils, failing injector, or carbon build-up on the intake valves.

2ABC charging pressure sensor, electrical
3100 Air charge control, shut-down

These two are the main cause of the limp mode. The 3100 code is basically just letting you know that the boost control was shut down and a limp mode was initiated. You need to look for other codes to indicate what the problem actually was. In the case, the DME reported an error with the MAP sensor. This could be as simple as a loose harness connection, but it's reporting a loss of signal.

If you had seen under or over boost codes, that could be due to a tune not working well with your particular vehicle (assuming there wasn't an actual leak), but these codes are not something that should be tuning related. When running a tune, problems can become exaggerated due to the entire system doing more work. As I said I'd be happy to view some logs if you'd like to send them over.

Either way, I would start by checking connections to the MAP sensor and verifying there are no exhaust leaks. If you log STFTs and LTFTs, it should give you a good idea of why the O2 sensors are throwing codes.

I'm happy to help, but you'll get a lot faster responses if you email me or call one of the techs.

- Josh

Quote:
Well changed the tune to

Stg2+FMIC ST Sport IJE0S v402
Stock Throttle

insted of Agresive and went all out with instructor pushed the car to the limit for four 30 min sessions at Gingerman Raceway, Michigan and no issues. So how do you explain that? It must be tune related. I checked everything no leaks no boost leaks no nothing. So i'm lost at what the issue was other then i changed the tune. I went 1 session with TCS and the other 3 TCS off. So you would think that pushing the car that hard even harder then last time would throw codes with a SPORT tune but it didn't.... so there are the codes but I have no logs unfortunately. SPORT TUNE WORKED FOR ME. I also see other people with similar problems and codes online but they stated when they went back to stock tune problem is gone so this is saying something.

BTW I put shell 93 octane when i got the codes and the map suppose to be for that but the map I ran (SPORT stage 2 map) only requires 91 octane so maybe that has something to do with it? Don't know but I would like to find out before I waste multiple sessions at the track just to find out that the other tune worked.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #8255
///M5Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: gaggle of BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarren View Post
had to go and check myself lol. you are correct anything stage 1 without a fmic is v 4.01 sorry for the bad info thought they all changed to v4.02
any logs would help determine what's going on.
Loaded the sport ST Stage 1 for the heck of it.. same immediate issue. I get a Cylinder 1 misfire code so before I ask for anymore help I'm gonna start with the basics, change plugs, and diagnose any coil issues.

Thanks for the help guys
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #8256
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46beater View Post
Loaded the sport ST Stage 1 for the heck of it.. same immediate issue. I get a Cylinder 1 misfire code so before I ask for anymore help I'm gonna start with the basics, change plugs, and diagnose any coil issues.

Thanks for the help guys
Send me some logs once you get the basic maintenance done and I'll see if I can help you with any issues.

-Josh
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #8257
M3E46M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
These codes don't have anything to do with a boost leak.

These cannot be an issue related to our tuning as we do nothing with those codes. Those sensors strictly report on what they see and the codes are thrown due to an issue in the reporting. Common issues for O2 codes are swapping sensors harness plugs during downpipe installation, exhaust leak pre-cat, or damaged sensors.

29D1 misfire, cylinder 5

Misfires are common on these cars and are normally either plugs, coils, failing injector, or carbon build-up on the intake valves.

2ABC charging pressure sensor, electrical
3100 Air charge control, shut-down

These two are the main cause of the limp mode. The 3100 code is basically just letting you know that the boost control was shut down and a limp mode was initiated. You need to look for other codes to indicate what the problem actually was. In the case, the DME reported an error with the MAP sensor. This could be as simple as a loose harness connection, but it's reporting a loss of signal.

If you had seen under or over boost codes, that could be due to a tune not working well with your particular vehicle (assuming there wasn't an actual leak), but these codes are not something that should be tuning related. When running a tune, problems can become exaggerated due to the entire system doing more work. As I said I'd be happy to view some logs if you'd like to send them over.

Either way, I would start by checking connections to the MAP sensor and verifying there are no exhaust leaks. If you log STFTs and LTFTs, it should give you a good idea of why the O2 sensors are throwing codes.

I'm happy to help, but you'll get a lot faster responses if you email me or call one of the techs.

- Josh
Ya I will check everything tonight but like I said 2 hrs of track sessions and 180 miles back home no issues, no codes on sport tune. It's really hard to log something when it doesn't happen again and I will try the Aggressive tune once more later this week, and start logging if issues occur. I will give you guys a call when that happens. Right now i have something with brakes, might have bent brake plates from braking too hard, so once i fix that will try Aggressive tune. BTW - BMWCCA folks helped me push this thing to the limit . Thanks for the replies.

Also let me ask you this stupid question i was flowing MR2 turbo, that was loosing coolant bad, it happened 2 times and thats right before i got 2 limp modes, could this have caused the sensor to malfunction since might have gotten coolant fumes in the intake?

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #8258
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ya I will check everything tonight but like I said 2 hrs of track sessions and 180 miles back home no issues, no codes on sport tune. It's really hard to log something when it doesn't happen again and I will try the Aggressive tune once more later this week, and start logging if issues occur. I will give you guys a call when that happens. Right now i have something with brakes, might have bent brake plates from braking too hard, so once i fix that will try Aggressive tune. BTW - BMWCCA folks helped me push this thing to the limit . Thanks for the replies.

Also let me ask you this stupid question i was flowing MR2 turbo, that was loosing coolant bad, it happened 2 times and thats right before i got 2 limp modes, could this have caused the sensor to malfunction since might have gotten coolant fumes in the intake?
Hmm, I guess that's possible, but I would expect it to get absorbed into the filter first. It could have just been the fact that the connections were loose and the track day shook everything around a bit. You can always log even without having the issue and I could look to see if the readings look off for AFR or MAP. If there's an intermittent signal drop I may be able to see it in a log without it actually triggering a limp mode or DTC. Of course you're right that the logs may look perfect until the issue happens again. Just let me know if I can help.

-Josh
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 02:28 AM   #8259
Jeffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E90

Garage List
p29e0 p29e1...p0171 SES!

I started getting these codes while running E40 Cobb with a protune:
p29e0
p29e1
p0171 SES
So I ran the tank down to empty, filled with Shell 93 VPower and flashed back to Stage 0. Continued to get these codes. On second tank of Shell 93/Stage 0 and continue to get these codes like this every time:
First p29e0, then p29e1 (fuel mixture) and then eventually p0171 (lean condition). Typically when cold, less frequently when warm, but every day now. Once the third p0171 occurs then the SES light comes on. All clear fine but it repeats. Here are two logs:

http://www.datazap.me/u/jeffman/e10-...codes-wot-runs

http://www.datazap.me/u/jeffman/e10-...ottle-diagnose

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing these codes?
MHD Self-Tuned Scaled FlexFuel Map | M-Boost | N20 Tmap | Helix IC | Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP | BMS DCI | BMS Thermostat Delete | CP-E Charge Pipe | Tial-Q BOV | Apex Arc-8 Hyper Silver | Michelin PSS | Cool Carbon Brake Pads R/T | SS Brakelines | ECS 2-Piece Rotors F/R | xHP Stage 3 | xDelete Sport | KW-V1 Coilovers | Turner Strut Brace | Lux Angel Eyes | CF Kidneys | Scoops
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #8260
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffman View Post
I started getting these codes while running E40 Cobb with a protune:
p29e0
p29e1
p0171 SES
So I ran the tank down to empty, filled with Shell 93 VPower and flashed back to Stage 0. Continued to get these codes. On second tank of Shell 93/Stage 0 and continue to get these codes like this every time:
First p29e0, then p29e1 (fuel mixture) and then eventually p0171 (lean condition). Typically when cold, less frequently when warm, but every day now. Once the third p0171 occurs then the SES light comes on. All clear fine but it repeats. Here are two logs:

http://www.datazap.me/u/jeffman/e10-...codes-wot-runs

http://www.datazap.me/u/jeffman/e10-...ottle-diagnose

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing these codes?
just for shits, have you tried uninstalling the COBB?

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #8261
Jeffman
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
just for shits, have you tried uninstalling the COBB?
Yes. I actually did that first. But got the SES code. I don't have a BT cable to diagnose so I installed the Cobb Stage 0 so I could read the codes. I also pressed "Reset ECU" on the Cobb, thinking this would reset the adaptations, but I'm not sure if this really resets adaptations.

Today I don't have any codes, yet...it figures, as I was going to uninstall the Cobb anyway as I'm due for rear rotors and brake pads at my neighborhood BMW service center.
MHD Self-Tuned Scaled FlexFuel Map | M-Boost | N20 Tmap | Helix IC | Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP | BMS DCI | BMS Thermostat Delete | CP-E Charge Pipe | Tial-Q BOV | Apex Arc-8 Hyper Silver | Michelin PSS | Cool Carbon Brake Pads R/T | SS Brakelines | ECS 2-Piece Rotors F/R | xHP Stage 3 | xDelete Sport | KW-V1 Coilovers | Turner Strut Brace | Lux Angel Eyes | CF Kidneys | Scoops
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #8262
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
Quote:
Yes. I actually did that first. But got the SES code. I don't have a BT cable to diagnose so I installed the Cobb Stage 0 so I could read the codes. I also pressed "Reset ECU" on the Cobb, thinking this would reset the adaptations, but I'm not sure if this really resets adaptations.

Today I don't have any codes, yet...it figures, as I was going to uninstall the Cobb anyway as I'm due for rear rotors and brake pads at my neighborhood BMW service center.
I have had this issue intermittently ever since I ran E85 on PROcede and now occasionally on my Cobb after switching back to a pump gas map after running E40. I couldn't open your logs but when my car isn't running lean or maxing fuel trims. I suppose it could also be an O2 sensor issue but that is just a guess on my part. Usually I just clear it and doesn't come back.
      10-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #8263
Jeffman
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickem View Post
I have had this issue intermittently ever since I ran E85 on PROcede and now occasionally on my Cobb after switching back to a pump gas map after running E40. I couldn't open your logs but when my car isn't running lean or maxing fuel trims. I suppose it could also be an O2 sensor issue but that is just a guess on my part. Usually I just clear it and doesn't come back.
Thanks for your input. @Jake@PTF is my tuner, too. I'm suspecting oxygen sensors, as well. Is there any reason why ethanol would f$&@-up an oxygen sensor? Dammit, there are four of them and each cost about $200, not including installation!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #8264
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for your input. @Jake@PTF is my tuner, too. I'm suspecting oxygen sensors, as well. Is there any reason why ethanol would f$&@-up an oxygen sensor? Dammit, there are four of them and each cost about $200, not including installation!
Oembimmerparts.com has them for $150 , but probably not o2 sensors...wait till you throw codes...our cars have complicated dme's could just be the car reacting to changes in the fuel mixture. If logs are good then I wouldn't worry.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #8265
boom
My X5d tows my spec miata to the track.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d

Clem charges $250 for a DP install and you have to pull all four sensors for that. That's probably your cheapest option for install.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #8266
Gemballa1980
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just upgraded from a V2 to a V3 (because my V2 screen shat itself!) and since loading the V3, I get a yellow check engine light on startup and code: P2A18 - DMTL diagnosis module tank leakage, heating: input signal.

I was running a PTF map prior, however since my AP serial numbers don't match, I had to flash the 2+ agg map instead. The code didn't show prior to loading the V3.

Any thoughts?

Also, COBB: With unit measurements on the V3, is there a way to set temps as Celsius and boost at PSI?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #8267
buylongterm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335XI M package

Question

Is there anyway to run stage 2 maps without getting down pipes? I live in IL and I wouldn't pass emissions and my car is still under the BMW warranty for 2+ years. This month I plan on upgrading the car with a Dinan FMIC and Dinan Exhaust. anything else that will allow me to run the Stage 2 maps? I am CRAVING more power.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #8268
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buylongterm View Post
Question

Is there anyway to run stage 2 maps without getting down pipes? I live in IL and I wouldn't pass emissions and my car is still under the BMW warranty for 2+ years. This month I plan on upgrading the car with a Dinan FMIC and Dinan Exhaust. anything else that will allow me to run the Stage 2 maps? I am CRAVING more power.

Thanks!
In terms of off the shelf maps, just run stage 1+fmic once you get the FMIC. This is a very powerful map, moreso than stage 2. There's a big difference between stage 1 and stage 1+ in terms of boost and timing advance.

Other option would be to have PTF or the like make you a custom map for your car. This could be done either on a dyno or via an etune. This will maximize the power your car makes better than an OTS map, particularly if you have E85 at your disposal...

On another note, why the Dinan FMIC? There are much more cost-effective options on the market and while I have had dealers squawk about my downpipes they've never said anything about the ETS intercooler.
      10-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #8269
buylongterm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335XI M package

Quote:
In terms of off the shelf maps, just run stage 1+fmic once you get the FMIC. This is a very powerful map, moreso than stage 2. There's a big difference between stage 1 and stage 1+ in terms of boost and timing advance.

Other option would be to have PTF or the like make you a custom map for your car. This could be done either on a dyno or via an etune. This will maximize the power your car makes better than an OTS map, particularly if you have E85 at your disposal...

On another note, why the Dinan FMIC? There are much more cost-effective options on the market and while I have had dealers squawk about my downpipes they've never said anything about the ETS intercooler.
Thank you. The only reason I wanted to go with Dinan was to make sure I don't void my warranty whatsoever, but one would think a running a bigger intercooler is a good thing and most likely BMW service wouldn't VOID the warranty. (I would hope) I'll check into the ETA FMIC. So, my next upgrade should be the intercooler, instead of exhaust.

How much more gains (HP/Torque) should I expect between stage 1 aggressive and Stage 2 with FMIC? Will it definitely be more noticeable?

Much Appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #8270
M3E46M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, I guess that's possible, but I would expect it to get absorbed into the filter first. It could have just been the fact that the connections were loose and the track day shook everything around a bit. You can always log even without having the issue and I could look to see if the readings look off for AFR or MAP. If there's an intermittent signal drop I may be able to see it in a log without it actually triggering a limp mode or DTC. Of course you're right that the logs may look perfect until the issue happens again. Just let me know if I can help.

-Josh

I think I blew my DP gaskets got new gaskets coming in so might explain these codes.

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #8271
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buylongterm
Quote:

Thank you. The only reason I wanted to go with Dinan was to make sure I don't void my warranty whatsoever, but one would think a running a bigger intercooler is a good thing and most likely BMW service wouldn't VOID the warranty. (I would hope) I'll check into the ETA FMIC. So, my next upgrade should be the intercooler, instead of exhaust.

How much more gains (HP/Torque) should I expect between stage 1 aggressive and Stage 2 with FMIC? Will it definitely be more noticeable?

Much Appreciated!
You asked about stage 2, but do you really mean hp delta between stage 1 and stage 1+fmic? Stage 1+ is more powerful than stage 2 (no fmic). It is absolutely noticeable. Cobb has a dyno section of their site that can address that. I would absolutely (and did) do downpipes before a catback if you're looking for performance...you won't gain much power wise with an exhaust...just weight reduction and better sound.
      10-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #8272
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

http://www.datazap.me/u/135pats/e30-...d-4th?1-3-4-12

A 3rd and 4th gear log I pulled just now. Looks like i'm not quite meeting boost targets up top.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0