E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Positive Experience at BMW Stevens Creek

11-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
m9bm
Bad Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335d fake M-Sport

Positive Experience at BMW Stevens Creek

I had a problem with the shadowline trim of my 2010 E90 335d. I previously brought it up when I was under the 4 year/50,000 mile warranty at BMW Mountain View, but they denied me and said it was my own fault. (not true)
I got mad and decided I would never go there again.

Fast forward 6 months. My original warranty expired (I have the Gold 7 year/100k now) and the trim is getting worse. I decided to bring it up to BMW of Stevens Creek.

I came prepared to put up a fight to get it fixed, but
Scott Fuller, the service manager, took one look and said "I've seen this before, this should be covered"
BMW NA and BMW Stevens Creek goodwill 95% of the cost to replace the trim.

I'm going to end up paying 5%, which I estimate to be less than $50.

We always hear about the bad stealerships the most, so I figured I should share my experience here.

My future BMWs will be purchased from Stevens Creek.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #2
chuckdeezy
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Good to hear. I bought my cpo bimmer over there.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 10:04 PM   #3
BKap08
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LCI

I actually had a terrible experience there last week, brought my car in for regular maintenance, I just passed the manufacturer warranty but I have an extended warranty till 2017 and 80k miles, they looked at my warranty card and basically told me to either pay $700+ or get lost. It seems like since im relatively young they think they can BS me.

|2010 E90 LCI 328i|Matte Black grilles|35% Ceramic Tint|Black Chrome Varrstoen ES2|ST Coilovers|Mtech Front Bumper|
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 12:04 AM   #4
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKap08 View Post
I actually had a terrible experience there last week, brought my car in for regular maintenance, I just passed the manufacturer warranty but I have an extended warranty till 2017 and 80k miles, they looked at my warranty card and basically told me to either pay $700+ or get lost. It seems like since im relatively young they think they can BS me.
Warranty and maintenance are two different things and two different coverages. If you feel like you had an issue, go see another SA. I highly recommend Tyler Lem.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 12:05 AM   #5
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep

Also Scott is a good guy.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentphish View Post
Warranty and maintenance are two different things and two different coverages. If you feel like you had an issue, go see another SA. I highly recommend Tyler Lem.
+1 for Tyler Lem.

I bought my CPO car from there and right from the time bought it I have had pathetic experiences...until I got in touch with Tyler Lem. He is awesome to work with and tries to help by getting as much covered under the extended warranty that I have!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #7
s!ke
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335 6MT

Garage List
I've had bad experiences there.

/// 2008 e92 335i 6sp JB/CR | COBB AP | AR DP's | AFE DCI | FMIC | BMS Cowl Filters | Stett CP | Forge DV's | Sig photo by jMeas!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #8
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep

Yeah, the other SA's are a complete joke...at least the 3-4 others I dealt with before getting recommended to Tyler. The senior master tech Tyler works with often is Christian. A+ guy.

If anyone cares to know my previous experiences:

One guy tried to brush off my flickering fuel gauge as the car "coming out of hibernation", which was, of course, a complete load of BS. I explained why that wasn't possible and just used some basic logic and he agreed to replace the cluster. Then, when I showed for my scheduled appointment a week later to get the repair done he wasn't there. I came to find out from one of the greeters that no one knew where he was (he no-call, no-showed) after a "long night at the SC BMW Holiday Party" the night before. Pathetic and unprofessional.

So then the guy I was handed off to tried to get me to pay for them to replace my brake pads, rotors, and sensors because after the gauge cluster was replaced due to the fuel gauge ticking they couldn't get the computer to reprogram properly without throwing a brake sensor code...This of course made no sense because there was no brake issue prior to my bringing it in and the pads had plenty of wear left. I told him there was absolutely no way I was paying them to do that as I could DIY it and that I felt there was no issue in the first place and that he should have another look and figure out a far more reasonable solution...He ended up getting it squared away by replacing both pad wear sensors at no charge to resolve the issue. But it really pissed me of that they didn't try that first and present that as the solution and instead went straight to "YOU NEED TO PAY US $1K FOR ALL NEW BRAKES"

Another time a female SA simply waived off my intermittent transmission issue as "normal" and immediately said that the issue wouldn't be covered under CPO, I refused to believe this because CPO states transmission is covered. I couldn't shift into first gear fairly often. I even was able to show her in person when I arrived at the dealership. Tyler ended up replacing my MT for a bad first gear synchro. No issues since.

There was one other negative experience I can't recall as it was about a year and a half ago.
      11-06-2014, 09:53 PM   #9
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s!ke View Post
I've had bad experiences there.
Out of curiosity, where do you go now instead?
      11-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
s!ke
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Out of curiosity, where do you go now instead?
I worked with Tyler multiple times, and he's just as clueless as the other SA's.

Now I take my car to Fast Lane European right down the street. Mason is the man, but mainly because my car is out of warranty anyway.

Avoid Mountain View BMW as well. That place is even worse than stevens creek. If I could do it all over again I would go back to Nick at Fremont BMW

/// 2008 e92 335i 6sp JB/CR | COBB AP | AR DP's | AFE DCI | FMIC | BMS Cowl Filters | Stett CP | Forge DV's | Sig photo by jMeas!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #11
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Just to add to my comment above, yes, my experience with Tyler is the only one that has been good so far. The previous one's with Patrick and Erin (who thinks she is super cool and knows everything) was horrible and so much that I started hating SC BMW altogether. Up until then I had recommended them to 4 people who bought their cars from there and now I don't. I recommend them to fremont BMW or SF BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #12
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s!ke View Post
I worked with Tyler multiple times, and he's just as clueless as the other SA's.

Now I take my car to Fast Lane European right down the street. Mason is the man, but mainly because my car is out of warranty anyway.

Avoid Mountain View BMW as well. That place is even worse than stevens creek. If I could do it all over again I would go back to Nick at Fremont BMW
Thanks for the heads up on Fast Lane European. I've also heard great things from folks at work about Bavarian Motorsport in Milpitas.

Sorry to hear about your experience with Tyler. He's been absolutely great for me. Though, now that I'm out of warranty it's good to know other shops around.
      11-07-2014, 11:28 PM   #13
s!ke
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Tyler try's to make you feel like he's "doing you a favor" when in reality he's doing exactly what I expect and demand from a damn BMW dealership. He was a salesman before and you can clearly see the sales tactics he uses to try and win you over by pretending he's going out of his way to do something standard.

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 11:38 PM   #14
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on Fast Lane European. I've also heard great things from folks at work about Bavarian Motorsport in Milpitas.

Sorry to hear about your experience with Tyler. He's been absolutely great for me. Though, now that I'm out of warranty it's good to know other shops around.
Bavarian Motorsport does excellent work with a 2 year warranty on most repairs. They are a little more on the pricier side. Some things are more expensive with them. For example, they charge $115 for an oil change while you can have it done at the dealer for about $95.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 11:54 PM   #15
s!ke
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Bavarian Motorsport does excellent work with a 2 year warranty on most repairs. They are a little more on the pricier side. Some things are more expensive with them. For example, they charge $115 for an oil change while you can have it done at the dealer for about $95.
Wow they charge more than the stealership? Haha, I just paid $70 for an oil change. Using BMW filters and whatever synthetic oil you want. Motul, Mobile1, Castrol, etc.

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 11:58 PM   #16
s!ke
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9bm View Post
My future BMWs will be purchased from Stevens Creek.
Keep in mind, SALES and SERVICE are two totally different things. From my experience while working at a dealership, they do not even correlate to each other. Run by totally different people and departments. In fact, they usually hate each other. Sales always wants service to pay for shit, and vica versa. Just because you had a good or nice SA doesnt mean your sales person OR EVEN THE DESK will be great at all. (Especially at a large dealership like SC.)

Your best best, is going through a broker or through the internet department and getting the best, no hassle deal, then dealing with ONE SA, that you like and trust.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #17
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
I haven't needed to go there or any other indie yet (thankfully), but good to know. I'd always call around or stop in for estimates first either way, and also I do my own oil changes.

The only major work I can foresee at this point is OFHG, which I think I'd DIY since it doesn't seem too tough based on what I've read here, and suspension which I would likely not DIY.