E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > JB4 Problem

06-02-2016, 08:47 PM   #23
samuelmccarthy13
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e90 2007 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7smurfs View Post
They don't always have the latest firmware so best to check.

Default settings are on the bottom of the first post found in link below:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10605

Also on the latest firmware, it will tell you what safety was triggered when got reverted to map 4.
Bottom of the first post is just the FAQ? Alright i'll update my firmware (if possible) when I next get to the car/laptop
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 08:51 PM   #24
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelmccarthy13 View Post
Bottom of the first post is just the FAQ? Alright i'll update my firmware (if possible) when I next get to the car/laptop
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/attach...1&d=1443494785
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 05:45 AM   #25
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Have you got this sorted yet mate?

First things first, invest in the jb4 Bluetooth mobile app! It's the absolute best! The flash lovers don't have this (yet) so they can bitch all day about piggybacks etc..

The JB4 will save and advise the reason for the map4 safety trigger (I'm not sure what flash only offers in safety here in these circumstances)...

From there it's a process of elimination in replacing and inspecting components (this is the n54 life).

Check the common suspects like vacuum lines that run over the oil filter housing and under the engine cover, to the boost solenoids.. If they are old and brittle, upgrade them.

Then check your chargepipe for cracks, removing it would be the easiest to inspect.

These are the most common things to start with.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 06:46 PM   #26
samuelmccarthy13
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
Have you got this sorted yet mate?

First things first, invest in the jb4 Bluetooth mobile app! It's the absolute best! The flash lovers don't have this (yet) so they can bitch all day about piggybacks etc..

The JB4 will save and advise the reason for the map4 safety trigger (I'm not sure what flash only offers in safety here in these circumstances)...

From there it's a process of elimination in replacing and inspecting components (this is the n54 life).

Check the common suspects like vacuum lines that run over the oil filter housing and under the engine cover, to the boost solenoids.. If they are old and brittle, upgrade them.

Then check your chargepipe for cracks, removing it would be the easiest to inspect.

These are the most common things to start with.
Not yet mate, I've posted the logs on n54tec.. and had a little help there. I'm going to put the car in map 4 and do a few runs and then also post those logs. Thats what steve from BMS said to do. Also going to try updating the firmware on the JB4 and doing a 1/7 reset in the steering wheel controls on the JB4, if non of that works ill have a look into what you said.

They have a large thread about the 30FF problem here. Just super annoying to have this as soon as the JB4 is installed, but as you said welcome to the world of the n54! Ill have a look into the JB4 app but what can it do that plugging and logging with my laptop can't do?

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13114
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #27
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Real time gauges to monitor temps, boost, and other things when the laptop isn't in the car, essentially they are gauges with the ability to log. I have this app open everytime I'm in the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 06:52 PM   #28
samuelmccarthy13
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Real time gauges to monitor temps, boost, and other things when the laptop isn't in the car, essentially they are gauges with the ability to log. I have this app open everytime I'm in the car.
Alright i'll take a look into it, but need to fix this 30FF code before I invest in the app!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 08:28 PM   #29
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Alright i'll take a look into it, but need to fix this 30FF code before I invest in the app!
As Ink said It's really good.

- Read and Clear Codes
- Customise a dashboard with 6 gauges of your choosing out of a massive list
- Create and send log data
- Change or check the map you are on
- Set values for the JB4

This is where you buy it
http://jb4connectkit.com/store/

Worth it

A recent update allows it to display oil temp which I have open all the time, hopefully water temp soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #30
samuelmccarthy13
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB89 View Post
As Ink said It's really good.

- Read and Clear Codes
- Customise a dashboard with 6 gauges of your choosing out of a massive list
- Create and send log data
- Change or check the map you are on
- Set values for the JB4

This is where you buy it
http://jb4connectkit.com/store/

Worth it

A recent update allows it to display oil temp which I have open all the time, hopefully water temp soon.
I understand the app is worth it and I'm looking at getting it, but for the time being I need to fix this 30FF code. No point in running JB4 if the car isn't even running properly! haha

Going to give it a go right now, I will post results
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 11:03 PM   #31
samuelmccarthy13
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Exclamation

So I just went out and did some logs and here is the update.

First of all I did a 1/7 in the JB4 which resets octane, o2 sensor, and AFR adaptions for advanced use.

Then set all my JB4 controls to exactly match this --> http://www.n54tech.com/forums/attach...1&d=1443494785
including the menu 10,11 and 12 defaults

Put the car in map 1 and did a 2nd gear pull. Boost was average and below target the entire time, but car didnt throw 30ff code (same as last time). 3rd gear pull and once again car was thrown into map 4 during the pull.

So i left the car in map 4 and did a 2nd/3rd gear pull like Steve from BMS told me to and I have uploaded a picture of that log here.

Only thing I didnt do was update my Jb4 as I forgot but I really dont think that is going to be the problem.

If you want to see the CSV file its attached here --> http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40006

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by samuelmccarthy13; 06-03-2016 at 11:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 12:05 AM   #32
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Still not hitting target, it's got to be a boost leak somewhere.. you need to check everything.

AND update your firmware (what version is the FW currently?)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 12:52 AM   #33
samuelmccarthy13
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Still not hitting target, it's got to be a boost leak somewhere.. you need to check everything.

AND update your firmware (what version is the FW currently?)
The app firmware 1.8.7, how do I know the firmware of the actual JB4?

I'll have to try and find this boost leak!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 12:58 AM   #34
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
The app firmware 1.8.7, how do I know the firmware of the actual JB4?

I'll have to try and find this boost leak!
User "Adjustment Tab", then "Firmware Ver".. it needs to be connected to the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 02:21 AM   #35
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

Put your head under the bonnet and get a torch look at the vacuum lines, check under intake manifold and all lines coming off the vacuum canisters ones fallen off or is split.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 07:49 PM   #36
samuelmccarthy13
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

I'll have a look today, my only concern is that the car will eventually reach the target boost. It just climbs very slowly! See in the attached photo, im in 2nd gear and I slowly build the throttle and the boost can match the target the whole way and the boost eventually gets to around 13.5psi, but if i were to put my foot flat to the floor straight away the boost would climb way below target.

The car is only really starting to build boost quickly at around 5000rpm which is too late because i'll have to change gears anyway.

Other problem is why is it only putting me into map 4 on a 3rd gear pull? 2nd gear the boost actually goes higher and the car remains in map 1 but 3rd gear the car gets to around 10psi and then throws me into map 4?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 08:30 PM   #37
BMOmega
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cayenne Turbo 958

Man.... all you guys are evil. I just bought myself the JB4 bluetooth dongle.

Can't wait to try it out!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 08:32 PM   #38
samuelmccarthy13
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOmega View Post
Man.... all you guys are evil. I just bought myself the JB4 bluetooth dongle.

Can't wait to try it out!
Checked all the vacuum lines yesterday and no leaks! Broke two little 'T' joints in the process as I dont have a vacuum gauge so I had to take them off manually and then suck to see if they held a vacuum. But no problem replacing them.

Whats the next step? Could it be the boost solenoids? I'm really hoping my turbo's dont need to be replaced, mind you they have done 150k kms and have the wastegate rattle!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 10:50 PM   #39
Fuji
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelmccarthy13
Whats the next step? Could it be the boost solenoids? I'm really hoping my turbo's dont need to be replaced, mind you they have done 150k kms and have the wastegate rattle!
Have the vacuum lines ever been replaced? How about the boost solenoids? If you ever have a hard brake pedal after leaving the car siting overnight, I'd replace the brake check valve (it causes a slow vacuum leak also).

If turbos were on the way out, you'd likely be throwing codes IMO
      06-05-2016, 11:09 PM   #40
samuelmccarthy13
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuji View Post
Have the vacuum lines ever been replaced? How about the boost solenoids? If you ever have a hard brake pedal after leaving the car siting overnight, I'd replace the brake check valve (it causes a slow vacuum leak also).

If turbos were on the way out, you'd likely be throwing codes IMO
Some of the vacuum lines have been replaced by the previous owner but not all. But I did check them for leaks and although them seem a little worn, there arent any leaks. Havent replaced the boost solenoids, you think they could be the problem?

Yea i'm getting no other codes other than 30FF, what other codes would I be getting if turbos were going?

I'll also probably have to check the chargepipe to look for leaks around there
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 11:22 PM   #41
Fuji
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Some of the vacuum lines have been replaced by the previous owner but not all. But I did check them for leaks and although them seem a little worn, there arent any leaks. Havent replaced the boost solenoids, you think they could be the problem?

Yea i'm getting no other codes other than 30FF, what other codes would I be getting if turbos were going?

I'll also probably have to check the chargepipe to look for leaks around there
Good preventative maintenance to replace all of them if you can (rules them out as a source of vacuum leak also)

It's possible that the boost solenoids are failing (they often make some noise if they are). If you've replaced your FMIC, I'd double check connections there also.

Sorry, didn't see the code - 30FF can be associated with turbos going, but there's also a tonne of other things that can cause it ie vacuum leak

Good luck
      06-05-2016, 11:44 PM   #42
samuelmccarthy13
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Good preventative maintenance to replace all of them if you can (rules them out as a source of vacuum leak also)

It's possible that the boost solenoids are failing (they often make some noise if they are). If you've replaced your FMIC, I'd double check connections there also.

Sorry, didn't see the code - 30FF can be associated with turbos going, but there's also a tonne of other things that can cause it ie vacuum leak

Good luck
Yea might just replace them as preventative maintenance. Even if they did make some noise, I wouldnt be able to hear them over my exhaust/wastegate rattle. I might just replace the boost solenoids, is there any way to test if they are faulty?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 12:18 AM   #43
Fuji
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelmccarthy13
Yea might just replace them as preventative maintenance. Even if they did make some noise, I wouldnt be able to hear them over my exhaust/wastegate rattle. I might just replace the boost solenoids, is there any way to test if they are faulty?
They tend to make a buzzing noise that can be heard at idle if you stand in front of the engine bay (coming from boost solenoid area on the driver's side of the engine). If they've completely failed, they'll throw a code. Otherwise they might be noisy or sometimes no obvious symptoms at all.

Your WG rattle should be happening at idle, is it?
      06-06-2016, 12:22 AM   #44
samuelmccarthy13
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
They tend to make a buzzing noise that can be heard at idle if you stand in front of the engine bay (coming from boost solenoid area on the driver's side of the engine). If they've completely failed, they'll throw a code. Otherwise they might be noisy or sometimes no obvious symptoms at all.

Your WG rattle should be happening at idle, is it?
WG rattle happens on cold start but then settles after 30sec-1min. But revving the engine in park you car hear the rattle on the deceleration of the RPM's. Otherwise its not too bad while driving/accelerating.

I havent really listened to the boost solenoids on start up, or at all for that matter. Is there any other way rather than just standing there and listening? How much does it cost to fix this problem at the mechanic, anyone ever had it fixed at Advan?
Appreciate 0