Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Falken Rt615's Noisy??

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
fast_lap28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Montego

Falken Rt615's Noisy??

so the deal is that I got my 2nd set of Rt615's mounted and "road forced" balanced for the second time since mounting on new wheels (Rota SVN's). I still hear this whoomp, whoomp, whoomp at low cruising speed (40 - 45 mph). My first set had two tires that were not round so we had a balancing issue. This cause a slight vibration on the steering wheel so we got the second set mounted today.

Do you guys out there running these Falkens experience this much noise? I didn't have this issue with the OEM 189's on the RFT's. So before I give up on the tire I just want others to chime in and tell me this is normal and that I will just deal with it

Since this setup will mainly be driven for track/autox then I am not that all bent out of shape but I sure wished they were more quiet. Maybe once they are broken in the noise won't be as bad?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
rpms44
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

I have the same track wheel/tire setup sitting in my garage, I am just waiting for my car(which I pick up tomorrow). I got a set for a friend as well, so we actually have two sets. As soon as I bolt them on, which may be this weekend, I will let you know how they are!
Chris
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
fast_lap28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpms44 View Post
I have the same track wheel/tire setup sitting in my garage, I am just waiting for my car(which I pick up tomorrow). I got a set for a friend as well, so we actually have two sets. As soon as I bolt them on, which may be this weekend, I will let you know how they are!
Chris
Chris, def let me know what you think and how they ride. I also noticed a slight steering pull to the left which makes no sense to me? the tie rods were not touched or affected by new wheels/tires that I know of...so see if that also happens to you.

keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Azenis have always been known to be noisy. When you are shopping for tires in this category, you are going to have road noise no matter what.

FWIW, RT615's are not great track tires. They are very sticky and heat up quite fast BUT they become extremely greasy just after a few laps. The tires dont deal with heat very well. They are great for autocross since you will be out there for less then a minute but if you are trying to do a track day (20+mins on track) you should be careful since it will become greasy and start to slide.
      05-28-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
fast_lap28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
Azenis have always been known to be noisy. When you are shopping for tires in this category, you are going to have road noise no matter what.

FWIW, RT615's are not great track tires. They are very sticky and heat up quite fast BUT they become extremely greasy just after a few laps. The tires dont deal with heat very well. They are great for autocross since you will be out there for less then a minute but if you are trying to do a track day (20+mins on track) you should be careful since it will become greasy and start to slide.
thanks! I was already thinking about returning these for another different set. probably can't go wrong with the RE01's right?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 03:00 AM   #6
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

RE-01R's are great and have been proven to be amazing on track but im not sure if it will be that much quieter then your Azenis.

If you want something that will hold its own at the track but is a excellent daily driving tire, i would really suggest Michellin PS2's. They are very quiet but still offer plenty of grip. Treadwear is pretty good (definitely better then what you are probably getting with your RT615) and you dont have to worry about driving in the rain as they are very competent in wet conditions as well. The only downside i can see is price as they are a bit pricey. BUT they are still cheaper then RE-01r
      05-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #7
fast_lap28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
RE-01R's are great and have been proven to be amazing on track but im not sure if it will be that much quieter then your Azenis.

If you want something that will hold its own at the track but is a excellent daily driving tire, i would really suggest Michellin PS2's. They are very quiet but still offer plenty of grip. Treadwear is pretty good (definitely better then what you are probably getting with your RT615) and you dont have to worry about driving in the rain as they are very competent in wet conditions as well. The only downside i can see is price as they are a bit pricey. BUT they are still cheaper then RE-01r

actually I just priced the PS2's against RE01R and the PS2 came out a little more ($15)....not that big of a difference. I will definitely consider the Michelins now that we are talking about the best overall performing tire for both track/street. my wallet is going to HATE me soon after!!!!
Appreciate 0