E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Here is my turn for a teaser ;)

09-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #45
flukey
Go big or go home!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

please post pics from the side!
      09-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #46
Topshelf1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 Coupe/2006 325xiT

Nice review. How would you compare this setup to stock? Time to replace the struts on the wife's E91 and am considering this upgrade. But comfort is a major concern. Actually wondering if going with the B6/OEM spring would be a good thought?

Last edited by Topshelf1; 09-01-2009 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 11:31 PM   #47
tolkino
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 BSM E92 328i xDrive

Sorry guys I havent been able to wash the car yet, i will post some pics during the day!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 11:34 PM   #48
tolkino
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshelf1 View Post
Nice review. How would you compare this setup to stock? Time to replace the struts on the wife's E91 and am considering this upgrade. But comfort is a major concern. Actually wondering if going with the B6/OEM spring would be a good thought?
If you have stock springs on the car, then b6 would be a better option since b8 is for lowering springs. These are still comfortable shocks, and they dont make the car very stiff, i would guess the same with b6. Do you want to replace the struts with aftermarket ones not OEM?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 11:39 PM   #49
tolkino
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
So you got these shocks and paired them with the eibach pro springs? With the price your reaching coilover territory, but i think you said you dont want to adjust the height.

Pics!
In my case I already had springs, and going with coilovers was going to be the more expensive option than getting matching shocks. Also for other reasons, since I didnt want a very stiff ride and I know I wouldnt bother adjusting height. Comfort was the main issue for me
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 05:25 AM   #50
Topshelf1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkino View Post
If you have stock springs on the car, then b6 would be a better option since b8 is for lowering springs. These are still comfortable shocks, and they dont make the car very stiff, i would guess the same with b6. Do you want to replace the struts with aftermarket ones not OEM?
I'm not looking for aftermarket struts, just the best replacement option since they are getting done anyway. From what's available, it's definitely between either OEM or the B6's, just not sure which would be a smoother/more comfortable ride with the stock springs. The wife wants smooooooooth.

Do have to admit that the drop with Eibach's for the extra $230 does look awesome, but I'm sure I'd regret it long term on her car.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 07:51 AM   #51
jeveryday
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnoy328xi View Post
Lacoste shirts?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #52
tolkino
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshelf1 View Post
I'm not looking for aftermarket struts, just the best replacement option since they are getting done anyway. From what's available, it's definitely between either OEM or the B6's, just not sure which would be a smoother/more comfortable ride with the stock springs. The wife wants smooooooooth.

Do have to admit that the drop with Eibach's for the extra $230 does look awesome, but I'm sure I'd regret it long term on her car.
Every time you drop the car, it will become harsher than stock, especially if you have runflat tires on the car. I hated the ride quality with Eibach's and stock tires. B6's could still be smooth since it will not drop the car when using stock springs, but it will be stiffer and sportier thats for sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #53
Topshelf1
Private
Rep

Thanks man. If it's stiffer and sportier, than I'll just stick with OEM. I've already ditched the RFT's for a nice soft tire, so I think I'll just stick with a standard replacement and call it a day. Appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #54
tolkino
Captain
Rep

After doing the alignment, the ride became very smooth and comfortable. I'm now very happy with this setup and I think its great for people who want a lowered look and comfortable ride without being have to worry about squeaking or rusting issues.

Handling is very much improved compared to stock, the car no longer bounces around. When you are coming to a curve at higher speeds, the car is more controlled which makes you feel confident. Before I would be afraid to make turns like that because the car wouldn't stay still.

One thing I have to point out is that there is a slight delay in steering response. It's not exactly point and shoot like a gokart (i.e when you do slalom you feel this), and in some cases you cant push the limit with this setup (i.e making sharp turn at high speeds)

I had a photoshoot yesterday so pics will be up as soon as I get them from my friend!!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #55
jdsboston
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi MonacoBlue 6spdmanual

Garage List
2006 330XI  [0.00]
CONGRATS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkino View Post
After doing the alignment, the ride became very smooth and comfortable. I'm now very happy with this setup and I think its great for people who want a lowered look and comfortable ride without being have to worry about squeaking or rusting issues.

Handling is very much improved compared to stock, the car no longer bounces around. When you are coming to a curve at higher speeds, the car is more controlled which makes you feel confident. Before I would be afraid to make turns like that because the car wouldn't stay still.

One thing I have to point out is that there is a slight delay in steering response. It's not exactly point and shoot like a gokart (i.e when you do slalom you feel this), and in some cases you cant push the limit with this setup (i.e making sharp turn at high speeds)

I had a photoshoot yesterday so pics will be up as soon as I get them from my friend!!

Sounds great man. Can't wait to see your pics...

How does the lowered car handle for you in the windies at speed? I took my OEM 330XI out on some parkway driving and was shocked how poorly it handles at speed in the windies -- the OEM XI suspension like a bouncy shopping cart at sea!!
~ I'm new to Seattle so pls drop a PM. BMW CCA#424403
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 05:28 PM   #56
tolkino
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsboston View Post

Sounds great man. Can't wait to see your pics...

How does the lowered car handle for you in the windies at speed? I took my OEM 330XI out on some parkway driving and was shocked how poorly it handles at speed in the windies -- the OEM XI suspension like a bouncy shopping cart at sea!!
Yeah that was a really big issue before, especially on the highway it caused the car to be unstable and bouncy. With this setup, the car is more planted on the road where you dont bounce around anymore. Thats the role of the springs. The shocks absorb the bumps nicely and you go over them smoothly, but tires are helping to this greatly as well!

Since this thread started as a teaser, i'll post the only teaser pic that I have with me now
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 10:09 PM   #57
jdsboston
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi MonacoBlue 6spdmanual

Garage List
2006 330XI  [0.00]
sweet
~ I'm new to Seattle so pls drop a PM. BMW CCA#424403