E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Adjusting wastegates on N54

05-23-2018, 05:19 AM   #1
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Adjusting wastegates on N54

Hi,
does anyone know if you can access the wastegates easily from underneath the car with the protective trays off? Will the subframe or other bits be in the way?

I've got some GC turbos. Sound like the wastegates are rattling at low throttle. Like 20%. On the JB4 I've tried adjusting the default wastegate position with no improvement. Quite possibly the wastegate duty cycle at that throttle has a slight closure of the wastegates.

My RB heat shield means accessing the wastegates from the top is not possible. Could be the connection between the exhaust and down pipes or similar vibrating. The exhaust flapper valve is not loose or noisy.

Anyway if the wastegates can be checked I'll start with those first.

Thanks
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 06:32 AM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
Hi,
does anyone know if you can access the wastegates easily from underneath the car with the protective trays off? Will the subframe or other bits be in the way?

I've got some GC turbos. Sound like the wastegates are rattling at low throttle. Like 20%. On the JB4 I've tried adjusting the default wastegate position with no improvement. Quite possibly the wastegate duty cycle at that throttle has a slight closure of the wastegates.

My RB heat shield means accessing the wastegates from the top is not possible. Could be the connection between the exhaust and down pipes or similar vibrating. The exhaust flapper valve is not loose or noisy.

Anyway if the wastegates can be checked I'll start with those first.

Thanks
I think that's a Rob Beck question
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 08:39 AM   #3
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

further reading it looks like you have to get the down pipes off.

Will have to live with it for now.

Just went for an MOT. 2 front tyres starting to cord on the inside. So annoying. Thought the tracking was out. Took it to a place who couldn't get their equipment under my arches. Only planned running these wheels for a while until going back to the summer set. Destroyed them on the inside. Lesson learned. Dang it.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 09:13 AM   #4
vb7200
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver 2007 335xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 335xi  [9.00]
1992 BMW 318i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
further reading it looks like you have to get the down pipes off.

Will have to live with it for now.

Just went for an MOT. 2 front tyres starting to cord on the inside. So annoying. Thought the tracking was out. Took it to a place who couldn't get their equipment under my arches. Only planned running these wheels for a while until going back to the summer set. Destroyed them on the inside. Lesson learned. Dang it.
If you have a short enough wrench, you can do it from the top. Only the back one, though. Usually those are the first to go. It is hard to reach, but if you have long enough arms you should be able to do it. I can reach it and get the wrench on the bolt, but I can't turn it bc the wrench keeps hitting the engine before I can turn it enough.
      05-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #5
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb7200 View Post
If you have a short enough wrench, you can do it from the top. Only the back one, though. Usually those are the first to go. It is hard to reach, but if you have long enough arms you should be able to do it. I can reach it and get the wrench on the bolt, but I can't turn it bc the wrench keeps hitting the engine before I can turn it enough.
No unfortunately I'm blocked by an aftermarket heat shield that sits on the side of the engine above the turbos.
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0