E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New member here saying hi and...Please Read

02-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #45
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
A Procede/PWM meth combo will run healthier (larger margin of safety against knock) and stronger (410whp with just DCIs) than any other option short of running full bolt-ons on good 93+oct fuel. Before you get too far along on the modification process, carefully assess where you eventually want to end up because. Luckily all tunes have a trial period. I suggest taking advantage of it

Cheers,
shiv
I want to vomit!
      02-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #46
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1
Quote:
Lots of inaccurate information here lol
Lots of elaboration here lol
I'm not sure there's a point when there are people on this forum with very little real world tuning experience making suggestions and conclusions that are not in-line with reality. Suggesting that using methanol is troublesome and/or PWM meth system is just a rebranded Aquamist HSF kit shows a lack of understanding and research.

It's natural to be happy with what you have and recommend it to others. But it's unfair to pass along your bias to a newcomer that just wants the fastest and safest running car for his dollar.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #47
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

Hey OP, you should really do some reading and you will have to determine whats best for you. Since you bought Cobb run it for a bit and then try Procede. I'm running both now, and my nod goes to Procede so far... but I'm going to give Cobb a chance for at least a couple weeks, maybe more.

Procede does offer much more flexibility in tuning options if this is something you'd like... but both can be installed and run without worry. Cobb will supposedly have consumer tunability in the future, but they will NEVER have the meth integration.

I really think most of the hype about Cobb is that it's a "flash" and it gives people that don't understand "peace of mind". But so far in driving experience, I can't see why someone would prefer Cobb over procede.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #48
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
The current PROcede meth combo does work VERY well, infact the problems with it are either install error or user error. But, the Vishnu PWM kit is essentially a rebranded HFS-3 kit. So any flash kit running the HFS-3 kit should perform just as well(minus map switching failsafe.) Dumping boost is a simple and effective failsafe IMO.

Ok, I was referring to "Sleeper". Perhaps he was Sleeping when he wrote that comment.

First off- read up on the PROcede unit... Then you will be better equipped to pass opinion and judgement, and won't be contributing to the problem in this forum.

Second- I don't disagree that cutting boost will suffice as a failsafe. However, you must acknowledge that the PROcede system is a much better integrated system, both technologically and from the drivers seat, than the traditional method of cutting boost.

Everyone seems to think a flash is the only way to do things right... But in fact it's possible to even do [some] things better than a flash. Were not dealing with JB3 1.4beta with a 18ohm boost controller resistor here... So reading up on all of the products (with an open, unbiased mind) will eliminate most of this drama.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #49
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Shiv, you should tell everyone you are the "owner" of the product you are saying is "healthier" that would make sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #50
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SoFlo View Post
Shiv, you should tell everyone you are the "owner" of the product you are saying is "healthier" that would make sense.

Shiv never said running a procede over a cobb is healthier!
He said running meth vs no meth(plus fbo) is better and he explained why, and since cobb has no meth integration thats why he suggested the procede. Get your story straight.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #51
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
Shiv never said running a procede over a cobb is healthier!
He said running meth vs no meth(plus fbo) is better and he explained why, and since cobb has no meth integration thats why he suggested the procede. Get your story straight.
ok bud. =) I'm sorry.

Quote:
A Procede/PWM meth combo will run healthier (larger margin of safety against knock) and stronger (410whp with just DCIs) than any other option short of running full bolt-ons on good 93+oct fuel.

Last edited by E90SoFlo; 02-12-2012 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #52
J3NGOe90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6speed MT only!

Hey forget about meth, u can get same amount of power from cobb stg2 i wouldn't suggest you meth, cobb stg1 dci+ downpipes still way better than stock, im telling u because i know a lot of ny boys use this power on the streets or maybe small ny highways not at track, and when u get stoped at 30mph zone doing 117 and hoping cop didn't caught you on radar + shaking and saying to your self why the fuck did i do it and thinking about ur license, i got 2 reckless driving in 1 year with 1st one i got lucky just paid to lawyer 3 days of community service no points, next one is on apr 18. I hope i get lucky with this one too, if u drive in the city alott no point of getting alll that shit, lesson learned AMEN

Last edited by J3NGOe90; 02-12-2012 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #53
mithiral67
That guy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
I can't see why someone would prefer Cobb over procede.
I switched from the procede to the cobb because my car physically ran smoother, had the best customer service I have found on these forums (tied with Terry/JB4 owner), allowed me to log my car with a handheld device from the obdII port instead of having to buy a laptop that involved running a cable into the cabin, more easily upload new maps for the previous reasons, it takes less effort to install, and it’s from a company I respect in the tuning industry. That’s just a couple off the top of my head. But different strokes and all.

I was comparing previous versions of both tunes

Last edited by mithiral67; 02-12-2012 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #54
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
I switched from the procede to the cobb because my car physically ran smoother, had the best customer service I have found on these forums (tied with Terry/JB4 owner), allowed me to log my car with a handheld device from the obdII port instead of having to buy a laptop that involved running a cable into the cabin, more easily upload new maps for the previous reasons, it takes less effort to install, and it’s from a company I respect in the tuning industry. That’s just a couple off the top of my head. But different strokes and all.
+1

I don't know why anyone would run a piggy unless you are running meth.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #55
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't want to sound like a stickler but you may want to make a comparison now running current maps of both tunes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SoFlo View Post
+1
I don't know why anyone would run a piggy unless you are running meth.
Even without meth, there are some easy to quantify benefits of running the Procede. It doesn't seem like i'm the person to list them. So perhaps talk to those who have experience with both tunes in their current state.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #56
mithiral67
That guy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't want to sound like a stickler but you may want to make a comparison now running current maps of both tunes.
You are correct, I meant to add that but forgot. I was comparing previous versions of both tunes.

Post edited.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #57
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You are correct, I meant to add that but forgot. I was comparing previous versions of both tunes.

Post edited.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #58
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Lots of inaccurate information here lol
There really is though
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #59
mithiral67
That guy
Rep

Garage List
Honestly, i would suggest what I did and test one after another, all the venders here have a great return policy with no hassles.

But be warned, these guys are great at one upping each other. When one takes a lead in some areas, the others take a jump in another. I tested mine a year ago and all of them have changed a bit since then. At the end of the day, I think safety of the engine is the number one priority and the n54 is inherently near bullet proof at protecting itself. So all three major tunes have proven to be safe and will put a smile on your face.

You need to figure out what’s key to you. Easy of install/update, price, and meth integration (note that meth can be run on all of them, the piggies just have better control). Because when it comes to power, drivability, adaption to new hardware, and future product development, they all are going to, in the long run, be pretty equal with all three with some being better at times.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #60
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Honestly, i would suggest what I did and test one after another, all the venders here have a great return policy with no hassles.

But be warned, these guys are great at one upping each other. When one takes a lead in some areas, the others take a jump in another. I tested mine a year ago and all of them have changed a bit since then. At the end of the day, I think safety of the engine is the number one priority and the n54 is inherently near bullet proof at protecting itself. So all three major tunes have proven to be safe and will put a smile on your face.

You need to figure out what’s key to you. Easy of install/update, price, and meth integration (note that meth can be run on all of them, the piggies just have better control). Because when it comes to power, drivability, adaption to new hardware, and future product development, they all are going to, in the long run, be pretty equal with all three with some being better at times.
If I recall correctly the customer was concerned with a safe and easy tune and nobody can second guess Cobb is a great choice for that. He did not want to go under the engine to install any tune. At the time of conversation the customer did not have any intention of running methanol so the next best thing for safety is intercooler. I dont recommend methanol to anyone that doesnt understand it and is especially in fear of installing a piggyback system as methanol requires a lot more attention to detail and understanding of hardware and complications that can arise overtime. Reducing IAT is the next best thing for a safe and healthy engine and that is why the intercooler was the next suggestion for him.

I do know he will be 100% satisfied with my opinions and suggestions so I'm not too worried. Just for the record.

Scott, as you can see these threads get you nowhere. I suggest talking with me for your next purchasing ideas as a lot of people in here have their own biases and criticisms towards hardware, where I will simply let you know, unbiased, what will work for you best.

There are a million threads like these all with regurgitated opinions.

No offense to anyone here.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #61
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Just to clarify, saying "piggies have better control of meth" is unintentionally misleading. Only the Procede has actual control over meth. Both on the control side and on the flow reading side. And offers a meth injection dynamic range that qualifies for the term "mappable". And only the Procede adjusts ignition advance setpoint to improve combustion efficiency in the presence of meth flow. It's just a little unfair to lump all the piggybacks together when talking about engine or methanol control. There are functional chasms between them. All easy to understand if one takes the time to understand them.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #62
mithiral67
That guy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just to clarify, saying "piggies have better control of meth" is unintentionally misleading. Only the Procede has actual control over meth. Both on the control side and on the flow reading side. And offers a meth injection dynamic range that qualifies for the term "mappable". And only the Procede adjusts ignition advance setpoint to improve combustion efficiency in the presence of meth flow. It's just a little unfair to lump all the piggybacks together when talking about engine or methanol control. There are functional chasms between them. All easy to understand if one takes the time to understand them.

Shiv
Ha, a hell of a lot more control. I think that's closure I said it before and I will say it again, if I was going tune/meth only, the procede would be my first option.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #63
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ha, a hell of a lot more control. I think that's closure I said it before and I will say it again, if I was going tune/meth only, the procede would be my first option.
It's cool. I know you, like most people, have the best intentions when giving advice to newcomers. But as you've seen, small technical omissions can result in pretty significant misunderstandings. Especially horrifying for someone like me who spends their day trying, focusing on the details and trying to make things better/more functional. No one likes getting their product compared to something that isn't technically or functionally in the same ballpark

shiv
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #64
mithiral67
That guy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's cool. I know you, like most people, have the best intentions when giving advice to newcomers. But as you've seen, small technical omissions can result in pretty significant misunderstandings. Especially horrifying for someone like me who spends their day trying, focusing on the details and trying to make things better/more functional. No one likes getting their product compared to something that isn't technically or functionally in the same ballpark

shiv
Oh, i hear you. I find these threads kinda motto, no offense to the OP. But for 99% of the folks that post these threads, they need to get reading these forums for about 6 month to start to get an understanding before they can make an informed decision. You’re like a doctor trying to explain to a patience their options over a complex medical decisions, the patient will never fully understand the options, so a general description is the only real viable solution. And to someone like you who understands, it’s like being tortured.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #65
J3NGOe90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6speed MT only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
If I recall correctly the customer was concerned with a safe and easy tune and nobody can second guess Cobb is a great choice for that. He did not want to go under the engine to install any tune. At the time of conversation the customer did not have any intention of running methanol so the next best thing for safety is intercooler. I dont recommend methanol to anyone that doesnt understand it and is especially in fear of installing a piggyback system as methanol requires a lot more attention to detail and understanding of hardware and complications that can arise overtime. Reducing IAT is the next best thing for a safe and healthy engine and that is why the intercooler was the next suggestion for him.

I do know he will be 100% satisfied with my opinions and suggestions so I'm not too worried. Just for the record.

Scott, as you can see these threads get you nowhere. I suggest talking with me for your next purchasing ideas as a lot of people in here have their own biases and criticisms towards hardware, where I will simply let you know, unbiased, what will work for you best.

There are a million threads like these all with regurgitated opinions.

No offense to anyone here.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #66
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

This is why I always recommend Jeff. He's a great guy and really easy to deal with.

FWIW, I can't choose which one I prefer between the new Procede aggressive maps (non-meth) and the Cobb Stage 2+ maps. They're both great... But at this time, it is definitely easier to run meth with the Procede.

People on this forum are just allergic to other people running different mods than themselves. Imagine how boring it would be around here if we all ran the same exact mods. What would we argue about?
Appreciate 0