E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E92 320d - Grinding/Whining in 3rd/4th and 5th

10-16-2016, 03:14 PM   #1
hazer96
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F10 M5, E91 320d

Exclamation E92 320d - Grinding/Whining in 3rd/4th and 5th

Hi all,

So I was taking my e92 320d M Sport for a nice spirited Sunday drive down some country lanes earlier today when I noticed a clinking/whining/grinding noise in 6th gear, I was doing around 60 at the time and it seemed to be speed dependant as to how loud it got. Once I realised that the noise seemed to be in connection with the gear, I dipped the clutch which made the noise go away, I then gave it a couple of throttle taps and again, no noise.

By this time I was pretty certain it was my 6th gear dying. I changed down into 5th gear and accelerated and no noise! Slowed down a bit more, dropped into 4th and BOOM! The noise was back! I pulled off in 4th and got the same grinding noise but slightly quieter than 6th.

Now I'm starting to get a bit concerned, I pulled over and went through the full range. 1st... no noise, 2nd... no noise, 3rd... slight noise but no where near as bad, 4th... grinding noise coming from the shifter and vibrations coming through, 5th... no noise, 6th... horrendously loud grinding noise and vibrating in the shifter.

My first thought is that its my gearbox dying a very slow, painful and extremely loud death. However, I've since spoken with a few people who have advised that this could be relating to other transmission issues such as the flywheel, loose mounts, timing chain or clutch issues. The noise itself is coming direct from the shifter, the vibrations can be felt through the shifter, along the center tunnel and also in the clutch if dipped very slightly.

Any idea's if this is likely to be the timing chain or more likely to be be the gearbox on it's way out?

Any help is MASSIVELY appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #2
hazer96
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F10 M5, E91 320d

Bump!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 02:36 AM   #3
sgw93
Registered
Rep
Drives: Black E91 330d

Did you ever find an answer to this at all? Mine has been doing the same but the noise disappeared this morning
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 01:12 PM   #4
yamfan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 320d

Hi Folks,

I know this is way to late for the op, But I have gone through the same and the short answer is the gearbox is kaput.

The long answer is this, In these boxes, 5th gear is direct drive 1:1 ratio, so the front input shaft is locked directly to the rear output shaft - basically a straight through drive, thus there is no noise in 5th.

For all other gears the power is transferred from the input shaft to the secondary shaft and then back to the output shaft. When there is a problem with the secondary shaft it created the noise in usually 3rd, 4th, and 6th.

Second hand gearbox is what I used to fix the problem - not worth opening up the original to repair.
Appreciate 0