E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > ATF in Manual Gearbox

02-12-2024, 04:17 AM   #23
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

I haven't replaced any shifter parts, but may well do after reading this thread. But I don't think that's my issue really - the shifts from 1-2-3 are just crunchy when cold, unless I shift really slowly which then means revs are mismatched... When it's warm, zero issues. Shifter could be a fair bit tighter though!

I replaced gearbox mounts a while back with a slightly stiffer part - I forget exactly which. Messed up the install a bit (one of the studs spun in the mount before reaching proper torque), but I can't make out any change either way since doing it. It's on my long list of stuff to sort out sometime...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 04:21 AM   #24
Malteser_wfj
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2012 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
I haven't replaced any shifter parts, but may well do after reading this thread. But I don't think that's my issue really - the shifts from 1-2-3 are just crunchy when cold, unless I shift really slowly which then means revs are mismatched... When it's warm, zero issues. Shifter could be a fair bit tighter though!

I replaced gearbox mounts a while back with a slightly stiffer part - I forget exactly which. Messed up the install a bit (one of the studs spun in the mount before reaching proper torque), but I can't make out any change either way since doing it. It's on my long list of stuff to sort out sometime...
I think it's valuable what we're all relaying from our experiences to be honest.

As I said, after having the subframe bushes (M3 rubber OE) and the rear diff (non-M rubber OE) replaced - the difference in the ease of shifting was huge.

Going into 3rd used to be very notchy and sometimes felt like the shifter was hitting a wall, and the same for 4th. After the subframe was done those issues completely went away.

I'm a firm believer that when everything is inline and the suspended at the correct heights etc it makes the shifting easier. I know it costs quite a lot of money and the won't increase the car's value much but it's worth it to me bringing these old BMWs back to factory or better.
Appreciate 1