E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E90 Summer Tyres - What Brand

04-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
no_ball
No Fear
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d M Sport

E90 Summer Tyres - What Brand

Just a quick post to request best tyre for the 330d in the £60-90 price range for both front and rear please. Have been looking at the Hankook's and the Falken's at the moment via mytyres website.

Requisites would be good handling in the wet (roll on summer) and not too sticky in the dry.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Just a quick reply to request tyre sizes...

There are no 18" or 19" tyres worth having (IMO) for £90 each.
      04-16-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
no_ball
No Fear
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d M Sport

225/40/18's and 255/35/18's

Majority of mileage is on the motorway, 80%. Annual mileage about 20k per annum.

You're right, 90squids is a bit on the budget side, have seen some for 50 on mytyres in the size range. Just thought someone may have had a good experience with relatively cheap priced tyres..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 02:09 AM   #4
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Cheap is sometimes a negative economy. I got 10k miles out of a set of Falkens but 18k out of a set of bridgestones.

Whilst I'm happy with my Avon ZZ3s I'll be moving to Vredestein next...
      04-16-2013, 02:36 AM   #5
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_ball View Post
.....and not too sticky in the dry....
What does that mean exactly??

Even remoulds must be more than £50!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 02:59 AM   #6
RAR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Alpine Ed.

Flame suit on!

I'm using SUNNY SN3970's - cheapest Chinese rubber out there.

Of course, they're budget tyres but so long as you're not trying to be Nigel Mansell and you're only cruising they are absolutely fine.

According to the new rating system they score a C for wet braking and a C for fuel economy with only 71db noise levels. Compare that to some of the premiums (or even mid-range) and they stack up quite well.

They can be a bit hairy in the wet if you're pushing too much but I have lightening fast reactions so tend to catch it before I'm completely sideways, self-induced, of course!

Of recent, I've tried getting the rear out on a large round-about near me in the dry but it just keeps gripping and barely slides at all. Not sure if that means they're too sticky in the dry?!

There you go, my 2p's worth.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 03:24 AM   #7
Neilios
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAR View Post
Flame suit on!

I'm using SUNNY SN3970's - cheapest Chinese rubber out there.

Of course, they're budget tyres but so long as you're not trying to be Nigel Mansell and you're only cruising they are absolutely fine.

According to the new rating system they score a C for wet braking and a C for fuel economy with only 71db noise levels. Compare that to some of the premiums (or even mid-range) and they stack up quite well.

They can be a bit hairy in the wet if you're pushing too much but I have lightening fast reactions so tend to catch it before I'm completely sideways, self-induced, of course!

Of recent, I've tried getting the rear out on a large round-about near me in the dry but it just keeps gripping and barely slides at all. Not sure if that means they're too sticky in the dry?!

There you go, my 2p's worth.
Everyone to there own but I drove a car with these tyres on and I could not hand it back fast enough, dangerous to say the least in the wet, for me the saving is not worth the potential problems, our cars have Bridgestones RF's on and Michelin and Dunlop winter tyres why skimp when its all that keep your pride and joy on the road and away from other motorists or pedestrians.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 03:35 AM   #8
RAR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Alpine Ed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilios View Post
Everyone to there own but I drove a car with these tyres on and I could not hand it back fast enough, dangerous to say the least in the wet, for me the saving is not worth the potential problems, our cars have Bridgestones RF's on and Michelin and Dunlop winter tyres why skimp when its all that keep your pride and joy on the road and away from other motorists or pedestrians.
I understand what you're saying, I know. But that's my point, they have kept me on the road for the last 2 years without problems at a 3rd of the cost.

Suppose it's down to driving style. I have 2 kids so I'm rarely driving like I stole it.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAR View Post
I understand what you're saying, I know. But that's my point, they have kept me on the road for the last 2 years without problems at a 3rd of the cost.

Suppose it's down to driving style. I have 2 kids so I'm rarely driving like I stole it.
I've toyed with the idea of cheap tyres or even mid range but always end up buying premium even though, like yourself, I don't drive anywhere near the limit or do much motorway miles BUT...what about emergencies where through no fault of your own your tyres are suddenly on the limit?? This is why I buy premium.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

The FK453 is so much better than the 452's. They are pretty good value.

I hated the 452's btw.

If not buy some nearly new tyres off ebay.
Appreciate 0