E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > holly 1 series hatred Batman!!

10-16-2007, 11:49 PM   #1
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

holly 1 series hatred Batman!!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89507

I didn't realize how many 3 series owners are disgusted by the 1!

Quote:
IMHO the N54 twin turbo should have been left for the 3 series and up and not dropped in the 1 series. Now people will pay less money to have a quicker car than the 335i....another reason for me to buy the XEDE...those little cars are going to be speed machines. I don't have a problem with a twin turbo in the 5 and up series, primarily because you will be paying more money for it, but to each his own.
I bet this is why!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 11:58 PM   #2
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Well you can't please everyone. I hear that Tom Brokaw is working on a sequel to "The Greatest Generation". It's going to be called "The Whiningest Generation". :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 11:58 PM   #3
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

that seems a little childish to me. i used to own a 335i and am glad that they dropped the N54 into the 1. yeah you are paying less money for a faster car, but the 135i is seriously smaller in size and has a lot of other limitations. i'm still not decided on the front headlights, and it has a very narrow stance. forget about putting four people in it like you could have in the 335i (i'm sure most of you never put people in back anyway, but for some that is a consideration). the n54 is a great engine and bmw would be stupid not to put it in the 1. let them flame all they want!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 12:43 AM   #4
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

This is my favorite one... http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=50

"The truth of the matter is, 335 owners could care less for that ugly piece of shit."

Apparently they cared enough to write 3 pages about it. ;-)

Never has a case of frustration and jealousy been more apparent than in that thread. It's to be expected - if I thought I had the hot setup and then someone came and told me that a faster, better handling BMW was available for less money, I'd be a bit pissed too.

They're not wrong about the appearance though - the 1 series is no beauty queen. Then again, there hasn't been a pretty BMW in quite some time, so they hardly have room to talk.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 12:50 AM   #5
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
It's to be expected - if I thought I had the hot setup and then someone came and told me that a faster, better handling BMW was available for less money, I'd be a bit pissed too.
:biggrin: good stuff!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 12:53 AM   #6
FinInk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 Celica, Wanting 335i

yup, and that was me in there sticking up for the 1 series. I love the 335i because I just can't get over how much I love the styling over the 1, but like I said in there the 1 series is a GREAT deal and it'll be something I'll have to torture myself about when I make teh decesion to get either the 1 or 3. It's about being a car enthusisast and having an open mind in which the majority of people in that thread lack.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 02:22 AM   #7
krassanova
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

That confirms my thought that the 335 was a car designed for bitches. I've been a BMW guy for many years, and most of the tools on that board don't know what the hell they are talking about. I loved when someone on that thread called the 3-Series the "BMW Flagship" gimmie a freaking break...that would be the 7-Series.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 02:50 AM   #8
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

These are the reasons why I stopped reading e90post. A good technical discussion is few and far between but you can find wisdom and reasoning after wasting a good half hour reading through crap.

I wouldn't go as far as to start a pissing contest there though because that would be a greater waste of time.

335i owner mentality:

335i > m3 > 135i

335i is cheaper than m3 but same performance therefore greater.

335i is greater than 135i because it's prettier and people who buy 1 can't afford 3.

335i is king.

Logic of a 16 years old. Oh wait they are and others are just older with stunted growth. :-)

(flame suit on)
      10-17-2007, 06:33 AM   #9
fishbulb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krassanova View Post
That confirms my thought that the 335 was a car designed for bitches.
that is way too funny.....

And....what a shame. Something comes out that is 5K cheaper and different and your whole *worth* is questioned. Sadly, it is crap like this that makes me want to steer clear of a lot of the BMW "community".

And to think that I used to find miata.net to be a PITA from time to time. This is just a whole different level of pissing match. Simply extraordinary...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 06:52 AM   #10
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
that is way too funny.....

And....what a shame. Something comes out that is 5K cheaper and different and your whole *worth* is questioned. Sadly, it is crap like this that makes me want to steer clear of a lot of the BMW "community".

And to think that I used to find miata.net to be a PITA from time to time. This is just a whole different level of pissing match. Simply extraordinary...
Some folks unfortunately feel buying into a "premium nameplate" is some sort of rite of passage which both allows them to look down upon anything displaying less of its owner's wealth, and simultaneously requiring them to defend their "superiority" in the pecking order of "premium." It's pathetic.

We get this in the Land Rover community from time to time.

What is also sad is what this says about BMW; it tells me that BMW is right to distance their cars from the enthusiast. They're building cars for "b\tches" (to borrow the hilarious term from above), and doing very well with it. If BMW drivers were really interested in the "Ultimate Driving Machine" they'd be head over heels about the 1er. Smaller, lighter, big power is always a recipe for fun
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 07:13 AM   #11
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

It's funny to see all those guys (?) admitting that they only bought the 335i for its looks.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 07:31 AM   #12
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

That's rather surprising how sorry ass the 3 series people are. Somebody ought to cross link this thread into the E90 forums.

The reality is that the 1 series is much more of a 3 series successor than the E90-E93 cars are. Although I do have to agree with the bug-eyed look of the headlights, its a tad out of proportion.

Has anybody in here given any thought as to what the next generation is going to bring for the 3 series? Now that BMW has moved the 3 closer to the 5, there's no real point in that line anymore....other than the fact that there is no 5 series coupe or convertible.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 07:52 AM   #13
theslik1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS-F

I guess I'll get kicked off E90post for this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslik1
Let's see...lighter, cheaper, faster with a Roundel on the hood. Check, check, check, and check. Sounds like everything a true BMW enthusiast could ask for.

Glad to see there are no status whores or bruised egos here.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 07:58 AM   #14
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post

Has anybody in here given any thought as to what the next generation is going to bring for the 3 series? Now that BMW has moved the 3 closer to the 5, there's no real point in that line anymore....other than the fact that there is no 5 series coupe or convertible.
some relatives of mine can't imagine a car smaller than the 3 series. they think the 3ers are too small as they are. as amer'cuns get fatter so will the 3er and 5er ... and, god forbid, the 1er.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslik1 View Post
I guess I'll get kicked off E90post for this:

nice one.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 08:08 AM   #15
GreenMonster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Of course they are pissed... BMW is screwing them by offering a cheaper car with comparable performance...

E46 owners aren't going to be too happy either when the bottom drops out on the resale value of their cars because you'll be able to buy a new 1-series for less than they want for their used one.

I'm sure that BMW has researched all the negatives that will be caused by the launch of the 1-series on existing BMW loyalists, but they must have decided that it was more important to bring in younger buyers to the brand.

Toyota had a HUGE problem with the age of their average buyer being in their 50's... Once they die off, there would be no one to buy their products... That's the reason there's a Scion Brand...

Anyone know what the average age of a bmw buyer is (purchasing a new bmw) ?? It might be interesting to see that broken down by first time buyers and return buyers....
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 08:17 AM   #16
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster View Post
Toyota had a HUGE problem with the age of their average buyer being in their 50's... Once they die off, there would be no one to buy their products... That's the reason there's a Scion Brand...
+1

That's another reason for the 1 Series... Bring in younger buyers.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 08:20 AM   #17
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
....other than the fact that there is no 5 series coupe or convertible.
Doesn't the 6 Series fill that role? At one time BMW was considering calling the 3 Series coupe a 4 Series and the 1 Series coupe a 2 Series.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 08:21 AM   #18
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Look, it's real simple. These wankers are the type that don't know a sway bar from their asshole, & the only reason they buy a BMW is to make some sort of penis enlarging social statement!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 08:30 AM   #19
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
335i is greater than 135i because it's prettier and people who buy 1 can't afford 3.
This is the part that annoys the CRAP out of me :mad:
When it was time for us to make our last vehicle purchase I test drove both the (then new) E90 325 and the 330 and while the 330 was GREAT on the autobahn, it was bigger than I'd like and... I don't know, it just didn't float my boat. It didn't handle as well as my A3 through the back roads and it just felt... wallowy (if that's a word, and YES, the car I test drove had the Sports Suspension)
Since the BMW dealer also had MINI's, I test drove the Cooper S and wound up buying one because it was (IMHO) SO much more fun to drive than the 3 series... but I was more than ready to drop the almost 40k on the 330 (until I drove it )
Now that I've sat in the 135 I can say that, size-wise, it addresses most of the issues I had with the 3er. If it's as much fun to drive as the MINI... I'll simply HAVE to get one :thumbup:

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 08:33 AM   #20
rupertisalive
Private
Rep
Drives:

guys - I agree, and laughed with you at a lot of this - but we mustnt play the 'holier than thou' card too strongly or we risk looking like inverted snobs...still, they are t**ts.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 08:44 AM   #21
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by krassanova View Post
That confirms my thought that the 335 was a car designed for bitches. I've been a BMW guy for many years, and most of the tools on that board don't know what the hell they are talking about. I loved when someone on that thread called the 3-Series the "BMW Flagship" gimmie a freaking break...that would be the 7-Series.
That's exactly my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 09:02 AM   #22
BtheMoneW
Private
Rep
Drives: MKIV 1.8T

Gotta love the haters for making us "1 addicts" the center of their attention :roundel:
Appreciate 0